Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Small Pump Wiring

Hi,
A friend gave me a small submersible pump like the ones he uses to make those small lava rock fountains. Problem is, this thing has a cord with a three prong plug that thick enough to run a refrigerator. Do all of these pumps have this heavy duty wiring or or is this just some goofy super duty doody.

Thanks,
Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 PM

I have 2 pumps 40ghp that have a standard wire 2 prong plug.

I also have a 40gph pump that has a huge 3 prong plug.

Just depends on the maker I guess.

Id say that all 3 pumps work the same. no big difference, but Id rather have the smaller wire to fit through the top.

Maybe one day the frogs will thank heavens above for that third (ground) prong.

-Frank

www.socal-rc.com
Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 AM

They make those socket adaptors for three prong to two prong that you could use.
And This brings up something I have not seen on this board. I use a ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle for the pumps in my viv. and fish tank.
I also have a grounding probe in my viv that I used to used for my reef tank. I think that any time you mix electricity with water, your taking a chance on some current escaping. :shock:
Might be overkill, but makes me feel better.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad3Dad
They make those socket adaptors for three prong to two prong that you could use.
And This brings up something I have not seen on this board. I use a ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle for the pumps in my viv. and fish tank.
I also have a grounding probe in my viv that I used to used for my reef tank. I think that any time you mix electricity with water, your taking a chance on some current escaping. :shock:
Might be overkill, but makes me feel better.
OK... thanks. I'm not so worried about the prongs as I am with the thickness of the cord. It's not very flexable and I'll have to use a tree trunk to hide it!

Mac
Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Default My Experience

People that manufacture things (like pumps) tend to use the cheapest components they can to maximize profits. Heavier gauge cord is more expensive cord. If the pump you have uses thick cord, you can bet it needs thick cord. If you were to replace the cord with a lighter gauge, you can bet that the cord would heat up and potentially be a fire hazzard. I also have some pumps with heavy cords. You just have to live with it IMO.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 AM

Mac, look on the lable on the pump (if there is one) and find what the electrical requirements are. Look for a number around 1-2 amps (A), or 200-2000 miliamps (mA). Also, look on the wire for some writing. It will usually be indented into the plastic casing. Look for a number in the teens (16, 14, 12, 10) followed by AWG. Post that too. This will give specific technical information to decide if it is safe to put a smaller cord on the pump.

There is one huge concern though. Pumps are potted (incased in plastic) so that no electrical hazard exists. If you cut the cord and replace it you absolutely must make a water tight seal. Something like totally coating the cut with polyurethane or possibly silicone if it will adhear will work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM

No worries. I'm not going to mess with the wiring. I was just hoping that in the future I could find a pump with a cord that was more flexible and easier to hide. I finally cut a piece of 1-1/4 PVC in half to cover it and I'm going to make that look as natural as I can.

Mac