Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Default bulkhead fitting question

if you go here and look at the bulkhead fittings...
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fus ... 3/cid/1860
what's the word SLIP mean next to the different sizes?

reason being, i want to pump water up through the bottom of a container. you can see what i mean in the attached pic. i'm just looking for a way to attach 1/2" clear tubing to it, and if i'm not mistaken a bulkhead is the way to do it. i'd just slip the hose over the 1/2" threading and put some sealant around it right?

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 02:22 AM

If you click on the picture on that site they give a better explaination as to what the SLIP means. It's the same slip fitting used with PVC pipe as opposed to pipe thread used for threaded pipe.

Here's what I would do, get a slip fitting and take 1/2" PVC pipe and put it in there. (The inside diameter of 1/2" PVC makes a perfect fit with outside diameter of 1/2" clear hose) The I would take your clear tubing and depending on size, insert it into the PVC, or clamp it around the outside of the PVC. Or, I would hard plumb (all rigid pipes, slip or threaded) everything outside of the tank, while using adaptors to allow me to clamp clear hose around a smooth piece of pipe.

I would really be hesatent to do what you're talking of doing, it could very easily turn into a mess because (as I hate to say this as I'm guilty of it all the time) you're trying to use something in a way it wasn't designed to be used.

BTW, what CAD program did you do that drawing in? I'm in need of a 3D program and AutoCAD just isn't cutting it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM

thanks i didn't realize that you could click the picture for more details. and yeah, i wasn't planning on using it the way you're supposed to, but i didn't realize that lol. so, looking at the image on the right in this link...
http://www.aquaticeco.com//images/items/bkf1.jpg
...i would be slipping the clear tubing up into area B? the problem with that is, my outside diameter of the tubing is 5/8". when i said i had 1/2" tubing, i was referring to the interior. that's not good because it looks like they don't sell the size i need then. i need that size hose too, because that's what's needed for my pump.

not sure what to do, hopefully i'm reading it correctly this time. maybe i'll have to search somewhere else.

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com

Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

This place has some good prices on bulkheads:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2643

This is a link to the type I use to drain my tanks.

I would either get one like I sent and then put the clear tube over the barb or go all PVC.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 PM

thanks, that looks great. my dad just told me of a plumbing store around here i'm gonna stop in at, and if they don't have what i want i'll order that

sorry defaced i forgot to answer you question. the program is SketchUp. don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a good program for just that, sketching. it's a fast program, but not good for final presentations. a good thing though is you can export it to autocad.

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Old 12-27-2005, 10:09 PM

If you want to have a pump go through that then get a bulkhead with threaded input & output. Then on the outside get a 1/2" x 1/2" plastic hosebarb and just attach your tubing to that with a hose clamp. You can do that on the inside of the tank to if you want the tube to continue up the back wall or something.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 AM

Quote:
don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a good program for just that, sketching. it's a fast program,
That's exactly what I would use it for. I end up spending far too much time trying to do 3D in AutoCAD. Thanks. This should help me alot.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

thanks, that looks great. my dad just told me of a plumbing store around here i'm gonna stop in at, and if they don't have what i want i'll order that

sorry defaced i forgot to answer you question. the program is SketchUp. don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a good program for just that, sketching. it's a fast program, but not good for final presentations. a good thing though is you can export it to autocad.

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com