No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed
  • 1 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Clay/Calcium substrate

Been reading a lot of post on the Clay/calcium substrates, but do not have the space or equipment to make my own.
Is this stuff available for purchase anywhere so I could add it to my own ABG mix substrate for a new pumilio viv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts
Default Re: Clay/Calcium substrate

You don't want to mix it into the ABG mix... That to some extent nullifies some of the benefits. The clay should be it's own layer. You can use pockets of ABG for the plants but the frogs should be able to contact the clay and the interface of the clay/leaf litter area is where you get maximal productivity of the microfauna. This has been spelled out in multiple discussions.

Adding clay to the ABG mix itself is also likely to compact the ABG mix reducing some of the reasons people use it as a soilless planting mixture.

Some comments

Ed
ncc2015 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
tfox799947 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM

How much of a problem or benefit if the powdered calcium were added to the ABG mix? It wouldn't be an issue of clumping if were just an additive in small amounts, but wouldn't it be of some help to the isopods, springs, etc.?? Hopefully I haven't made a mistake because I did this yesterday...

Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy S View Post
How much of a problem or benefit if the powdered calcium were added to the ABG mix? It wouldn't be an issue of clumping if were just an additive in small amounts, but wouldn't it be of some help to the isopods, springs, etc.?? Hopefully I haven't made a mistake because I did this yesterday...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-soil-mix.html '

Ed
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM

So, in summary...its a waste of time and expectation unless mixed into a actual clay substrate...right??
Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox799947 View Post
Been reading a lot of post on the Clay/calcium substrates, but do not have the space or equipment to make my own.
Is this stuff available for purchase anywhere so I could add it to my own ABG mix substrate for a new pumilio viv?
Okay, aside from not wanting to mix the clay into an ABG mix, the question about availability is still open. Is there a place to purchase quality clay substrate?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy S View Post
So, in summary...its a waste of time and expectation unless mixed into a actual clay substrate...right??
Yes Judy, It's all clay or no clay. In a traditional style substrate, the clay quickly becomes bound up and useless. It could also cause clumping. In my opinion, there is really no in between. It's all or nothing.
Somebody will surely suggest mixing Turface in, instead of clay powder. My answer to that would be this, any extremely slow release of calcium would probably be bound up, as Ed discussed in the thread he linked, before it could give any benefit whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
Okay, aside from not wanting to mix the clay into an ABG mix, the question about availability is still open. Is there a place to purchase quality clay substrate?
So far, I don't believe there is. It is rather labor intensive, and also heavy and expensive to ship. This doesn't make it a very lucrative business.
I put this clay thread together ( http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...trate-how.html ) to try to make it a little easier for people to wade through the long discussions about clay, and just start getting their hands dirty.
Here is a thought. My son, Max (Frogboy) has helped me make several batches of substrate. He was getting his hands dirty throughout our early, experimental, Bentonite mixes, and watched the trial runs, side by side with the newer, RedArt formula, as the Bentonite quickly turned to slime. He has seriously considered starting a little clay making business, but we have not figured out his cost per batch, what he would have to charge for labor, etc. Being too young to enter the real work force, he may be happier with a little less $$ for his time than a real business would be. IF he were to enter into this, your benefit would be that you would know it's made right, without any corners being cut, because it would still be under my supervision.
Keep in mind, even the dry clay mix is very heavy and shipping would be pricey. That said, if you want to crack the whip and tell him you would be interested in having him run a batch for you, or at least try to figure up some pricing, you can PM him AND me. He's 13 so of course I will need to be kept in the loop.
erostrova01 likes this.

Last edited by Pumilo; 10-17-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: punctuation