Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Default What RO unit should i get?

been looking on ebay and there are alot of RO unit to choose from. the one i was leaning toward was 6 stage with DI (AHS6-100DI) 159.99

any suggestions??? or reviews on other units
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 11:05 PM

I bought mine at Menard's, Works great, easy to install, and fairly inexpensive (at least compared to buying water a gallon at a time).
The only thing I wish were different about it is the size of the storage tank, which holds a little more than two gallons.
My advice is to get the one that is the most common in stores around you're area, that way, you won't get stuck searching for replacement filters and membranes down the road.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 AM

I bought mine at Lowes, but the deal you are talking about sounds great. I personally don't agree that you need to buy at a "local" spot, as my local Lowes and Mendards did not carry replacement membranes when I purchased mine (and still don't, as far as I know). Besides, for the prices I have seen, it is almost as cost effective to buy a new setup when it is time to replace the membrane.

With that said, I think one of the most important features/add-ons is a backflush kit. If you use this regularly, it should increase the life span of your membrane.

Good luck. I personally have never used a deionizer (except to know our chemistry department used one for its water), so I can't speak to their effectiveness or the need to use one.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

6 stage seems like a bit of overkill. The advice i was given when I got mine was stick with a name brand so you can find replacement parts and filters.

Here is the one I use and it has worked great. It can also be upgrade if you need more than 24 gallons a day.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...1233&ast=&key=
Old 12-11-2005, 02:25 PM

yeah i guess that would be a problem to buy the unit but cant find replacement parts
I have been looking on ebay and saw a few units made by kenmore - anyone know much about these units.
also with so many on ebay - and i guess so many that are knock offs - what are the name brands? i might just go to the local pet shop and see what they got or lowes and then look on ebay to get a cheaper price!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Check out the one I posted... I know 3-4 people using it and it works great.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:24 PM

yeah that one looks nice - but i dont know if i can pass up this one for 94.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-85GPD-REVERSE-O ... dZViewItem

but i think i will look around first before i bid on it. i might go to the local pet shop to see what they got
Old 12-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Its a good price if you can get replacement parts for it.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:07 AM

Hey Niko,

I just wanted to comment on Filter Direct Co.

A buddy of mine bought one a few years ago on ebay. He has had no problems what so ever with it. I'm not sure where he gets his replacement cart. from, but I could find out for you if you need ed me to. I've shopped around quite a bit for ro units, and the one your looking at was my choice also. I still have it on my need/want list (book!). Just wanted to reassure you that they have been around for a while, and there products are good quality, and prices are hard to beat. :wink:

L8R - Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 AM

yeah i thought it looked like a good deal - and i see from the sellers feedback that they have been around for awhile. also it looks like it is real easy to connect all the equipment.
i think i might go with that one and buy the replacement filters at the same time - cause you only have to change them out 1 time a year
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Sponsor

I used to use a two cylinder unit (pre filter, carbon filter, and RO cartridge) to get water for orchids. Came mounted on a little board, portable. Cheap too, I think it was around $100. Come to think of it, it is sitting in my garage, I gave it to a friend and he moved and left it with me. Not sure if he wants it back though...

You shouldn't need anything fancy.

For my money, I'd get a professionally installed and sized unit installed for the whole house. Big enough to generate all the water you need, with at least one pressurized storage tank. This is what I have now. Generates drinking water and water for other purposes (plants). It was worth it just for the drinking water. Professional water people would be able to determine your needs and keep you from spending too much. Yes, you can do it yourself... Bit of a learning curve, though, especially if you aren't used to doing plumbing projects.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Wow what a waste of water , you do know that your RO unit wastes 7 gallons of water for every gallon of water it produces right?

Matt
Old 12-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Sponsor

I think that is a bit overstated. Your waste is proportional to your input water pressure and temperature, among other things. 7:1 sounds like a very poor implementation. When I was doing my initial research (prior to buying a system) 4:1 was probably more typical, and you can improve on that greatly by adding some pressure.

For me, waste isn't really waste. My water comes out of the ground, and what gets rejected from the RO unit goes right back into the ground. I suppose if you were on a municipal supply, you might be 'wasting' water. But, if you have other hobbies (gardening, etc), you can use the waste water for that. Just collect it.

Of course waste is an interesting concept. Is it more or less wasteful to distill water (usually with heat?), or use RO? Input has to come from somewhere. Guess it depends on the source of heat (I haven't done the math). Is it more or less wasteful to purchase water in bottles, or use RO? Well, the water in bottles is probably RO filtered anyway, plus you have a plastic container and a truck or train driving it from bottling plant to your store, and your car from the store to your house... I think if you have poor water quality out of the tap, it may be pretty environmentally friendly to waste a few gallons of water over the other options.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM

I was speaking strictly to the whole house statement.
It is down right rediculus to think you need to bath or drink RO water.
Not to mention drinking RO is unhealthy for you. Why would you ever think youd need to wash your dishes in it or for that mater your dirty hands!

Matt
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubisco
I was speaking strictly to the whole house statement.
It is down right rediculus to think you need to bath or drink RO water.
Not to mention drinking RO is unhealthy for you. Why would you ever think youd need to wash your dishes in it or for that mater your dirty hands!

Matt
Oh. Yes, indeed that is overkill. When I said whole house, I meant water for drinking and cooking needs. And if I had an ice maker in the freezer (which I wouldn't), I'd want my RO hooked up to that too. That can run to several taps and various tubing requirments, which is why I suggested a water professional.

I think drinking RO water is fine... Not sure why that would be unhealthy. I doubt I'm missing any trace elements that aren't present in the food I eat. It is certainly better than drinking the PCBs and other complex organics which tend to get into aquifers in my area.

I certainly agree that using RO water for all of the other domestic needs (toilets? yikes!) is excessive and certainly wasteful. Didn't mean to imply that I thought that might be a good idea.

Rob
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefrog

I think drinking RO water is fine... Not sure why that would be unhealthy. I doubt I'm missing any trace elements that aren't present in the food I eat. It is certainly better than drinking the PCBs and other complex organics which tend to get into aquifers in my area.

I certainly agree that using RO water for all of the other domestic needs (toilets? yikes!) is excessive and certainly wasteful. Didn't mean to imply that I thought that might be a good idea.

Rob
Well Im glad we agree thatd be a waste. For the RO drinking however I think if you knew what highly purified water can do to the salt concentration of something like say a root tip, you think twice about pouring it in to your stomach.

Matt