Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DracheFrau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Question Aquarium conversion ideas/help

Hi everybody! I'm new to the hobby and vivarium building. My first viv will be an Exo Terra, but this post isn't about that.

I have had an aquarium for quite some time just sitting around, waiting to be housed. Eventually I would like to change it into a viv. Either horizontal or vertical is to be decided. But I have a bit of an issue with it. The lid part is awkward.

It used to have a sliding screen on top of it. However, before I moved out, my mum's fat cat used it as a bed, and broke the screen. F me right? So I threw out the screen. This was before I knew I was gonna be obsessed with darts.

So, what do I do? Any suggestions? Maybe find some funky L shaped glass to slide in there? Or build some kind of door on it? I attached pictures of it. 10x20x12 is it's measurements. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (87.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (86.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (94.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Top slide.jpg (82.6 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Aquarium conversion ideas/help

honestly a lot of chains sell 10 gallon aquariums for $10 to $15 bucks... I have two of those now, $12 each. That might be cheaper than finding a custom piece of glass to fit... just throwing that out there... using what you have is cool, but sometimes replacing is cheaper and easier...

Im sure you could make some kind of custom screen for that side though and then a glass top, use it as a vent
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozydego For This Useful Post:
DracheFrau (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
honestly a lot of chains sell 10 gallon aquariums for $10 to $15 bucks... I have two of those now, $12 each. That might be cheaper than finding a custom piece of glass to fit... just throwing that out there... using what you have is cool, but sometimes replacing is cheaper and easier...

Im sure you could make some kind of custom screen for that side though and then a glass top, use it as a vent
Thanks for the input! Saving money is always good. I figured conversion might not be overly expensive but since the top is weird it will probably be more than I was thinking. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM

I have one of those and i ended up putting a piece of glass on the upper lip, and gluing rubber (the kindd of strip that goes under doors) to the lowest part on the front so that there was no gap between the glass and the bottom lip....

THe other option, which might be easier, is just to remove the whole frame...pumilo (another member) is a glassworker who posted a thread about it or you could pm him. THe only problem with that is that im not sure if the hieghts of all the 4 sides are the same, since the front frame is much lower, but you could pull the frame off and find out haha

One more option, get a peice of glass that lays on the top lip, like option 1, but instead of rubber, get a long, but short, metal/aluminum L bracket that will attach to the glass and hang below it on the front, blocking the lower part of the frame..

Try 'em all, or none, whatever haha
Hope you get it working,

-Jeremy
The Following User Says Thank You to jermajestyg For This Useful Post:
DracheFrau (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 AM

you could just get a conversion kit from one of the sponsors here.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 AM

That tank is made by zilla. It is a 10 gallon critter keeper. You can easily find a lid.

2.2 bassleri 2.3 E.A Santa Isabella 1.1 tinctorious Patricia 0.1 Green Sipplewini 0.0.3 Leucs
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM

@jermajestyg

Snazzy ideas, thank you.

@goof901

I considered that, but I thought that the sliding part for the lid would be an issue for a regular conversion kit. Thank you.

@Buddysfrogs

Oh, alright. The tank was given to me a long time ago, so I didn't know the brand or anything. Thanks!
jermajestyg likes this.