No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ZookeeperDoug
  • 1 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Will this be OK? Question on drilling holes and fan circulation

Since this is first enclosure I have been trying not to do anything to drastic to the enclosure modification wise. My drill bit arrived last week to drill my MistKing nozzle hole and I plan to drill a hole in the next few days. I have replaced the screen top with glass (temporary) until I drill all holes. Then I will seal it with silicone.

I have been reading and it seems circulation although not a must, helps in air exchange and can help dry things out if I over do it on water. Below are few pictures of what I plan to do circulation wise. I want to have one fan pushing fresh air in and one fan pulling the old air out. Not like the backpack though. They will be individually controlled. I want to use fresh air and not recycle what is in there already. I saw a few threads for the in tank fans but with my small enclosure I felt it took up too much space.

I plan to drill several small holes in each circle area with a glass drill bit or one large hole. I have not decided yet. Does anyone see any problems or issues with this approach?

I plan to drill the hole for the misting nozzle in the front center of the tank. I am limited by the amount of space I have because of the lighting fixture but think it may be better to mount in the front to avoid excess water spraying on the front glass. Does anyone see a problem with it being only 1-1.5" from the front of the tank?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Will this be OK? Question on drilling holes and fan circulation

What you're describing will almost certainly result in very low Humidity within the vivarium. One fan pushing and one pulling will move too much outside air through the viv resulting in low humidity. Now, if you're not doing dart frogs, this may be acceptable but I'm going on the assumption that because this is a dart frog board that your intention is to house dart frogs.
Pumilo likes this.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Oh, as for your misting nozzles, that position should be fine. My misting nozzles are all mounted close to the fronts of my tanks and spray generally toward the back keeping the front glass from getting sprayed.

If you wanted to recirculate air inside the viv but leave the fan(s) outside, you could get creative and make a duct with PVC with the fan in the middle using the idea of where you have your holes.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug View Post
What you're describing will almost certainly result in very low Humidity within the vivarium. One fan pushing and one pulling will move too much outside air through the viv resulting in low humidity. Now, if you're not doing dart frogs, this may be acceptable but I'm going on the assumption that because this is a dart frog board that your intention is to house dart frogs.
ZookeeperDoug,
The fan drawing air out the tank would seldomly be used. I wanted to have it on a timer to come on a couple times a day. The one pushing in new air more often but I did not envision both on at the same time.

Will this still be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug View Post
Oh, as for your misting nozzles, that position should be fine. My misting nozzles are all mounted close to the fronts of my tanks and spray generally toward the back keeping the front glass from getting sprayed.

If you wanted to recirculate air inside the viv but leave the fan(s) outside, you could get creative and make a duct with PVC with the fan in the middle using the idea of where you have your holes.
Thanks for the info on the nozzle mount. I may end up recirculating the air if all else fails. I am trying to prevent the issue I am having in my QT right now where because there was too much moisture mold started growing on a few of my plants .
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,304 Posts

It is VERY difficult to drill glass if too close to the edge. Even for experienced glass workers, it is recommended to keep your holes at least 1/2" from the edge. With limited experience you will want to stay at least 1" from the edge and from any other holes.
ZookeeperDoug likes this.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
It is VERY difficult to drill glass if too close to the edge. Even for experienced glass workers, it is recommended to keep your holes at least 1/2" from the edge. With limited experience you will want to stay at least 1" from the edge and from any other holes.
Pumilo,
Thanks for the heads up on drilling glass. I have been drilling since about 2004 or so with my first 55 gallon tank. This (frogs) is my second hobby. My first is saltwater, this is my latest build for that. You do make a great point though. I may be limited in how close I can drill this glass by the sheer thinness alone. I am thinking of calling my glass shop and getting a custom piece a little thicker so I can drill closer .
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM

I think any air forced in or out will play havoc with your humidity unless the run times were very short.

Pumilio is correct about the glass drilling close to the edge, didn't even think about that but I've been drilling tanks for years. Gonna be tricky at the edge there like that. It can be done but your likelyhood of cracking there is much higher. At least a small peice of glass is cheep should you need to replace it and try again.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM

I think you may see a large improvement with condensation on plants simply by internal air circulation alone. If it's still a problem after that, I know Ed and a few others have a fan that turns on for short bursts a few times a day to exchange room air, but they're used for a very small fraction of the time.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 AM

Created this tonight and will be using it on the enclosure. The details on the parts are in my build thread.

I was able to drill the glass as a proof on concept and will be calling the glass shop tomorrow to get a nice piece of glass.