Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium

I recently bought a Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium 12x12x12 and it looks kinda small after setting it all up. Would this be to small of a setup for a pair of D. reticulatus? If you guys will help shed some light on this it will help. If it is to small than I will have to go get the 18" x 18" x 18" one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 AM

I would like to piggyback another question with this one before I make my comment. Does anyone know for sure if these exo-terra tanks have tempered glass bottoms?
As far as wether two reticulatus could live in the cubic foot size of the exo-terra front opening tank, I do believe that they could. The real question is if they should. I have an older tank of those dimensions that is not front opening as a baby raising vivarium. I have raised Tincs and Azureus in that cage till they were over a year old and they have allways fared well. At that age they are certainly larger than Reticulatus would ever get, and Tincs can be somewhat combative, like Reticulatus. But, as they are reaching sexual maturity, I try to provide at least a square foot of territory per frog as well as plenty of visual barriers to minimize the effects of overcrowding. As anyone who has ever lived with a roomate can tell you, it is good to be able to occasionally get out of their roomates sight. To that reason for a larger tank, I would add that in a smaller vivarium, a frog has less distance to cover from any one point in the cage to escape while feeding or maintaning.
There are advantages to keeping froglets in smaller vivaria, but I recommend giving adult frogs enough space to get away from each other, particularly the territorial/combative species. For adults I prefer a 50 breeder tank (36x18x18) although the 18'' cube tank or the 18x18x24 would serve your purposes well and make a georgious display tank. I think the tank you have now is ideal for babies, although I will say that I prefer the 1x1x1.5 myself.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM

the bottoms on mine are not tempered, I have drilled 4 so far.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:49 AM

So a larger viv would be better.
But, does the size estimate per frog of one cubic foot per animal mean for a pair or for members of the same sex? I would think that a pair would tolerate eachother much better in slightly smaller enclosures than two males or two females? So does the fact that a pair of retics are going into the small viv make it ok, or does the one cubic foot per frog pertain to pairs as well as frogs of the same sex?

Sorry if that was confusing, but I am just trying to clarify the reasoning, thanks,
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM

Retics, at least my experience, very territorial, very aggressive especially if there is a male - female combo. Much easier if there is one. Big time travelers, i had 2 in a 65 gallon and they were in every area checking it out all day long - very fun to watch. I have also had them in a 20 long and they did fine. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FROG FOR THE BEGINNER OR INEXPERIENCED. there are just too many other great frogs that are easier on the pocket book and a lot easier for the one newer to this hobby. So to answer you question for a retic one cubic foot per frog is really probably not sufficient because of the nature of this frog. There are others that would be fine with this amount of space because they don't travel nearly as much they just sit and eat and limit their travel.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went out and got a bigger cube. I got the 18x18x18. I think I am going to use that one for now. I also have a 45 gal, but it is not setup yet and needs to be clean. I might transfer them to the 45 gal one once I setup it.