Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM

Default 125 gal Paludarium build

Ok, here goes, my first attempt at a Paludarium with my 125 gal side-entry tank. I've owned this tank for a while for my Water Dragon that passed-on to that great basking spot in the sky a couple months back (RIP Rango, yeah the kids named him).

I have a few ideas and enough space to (I hope) make them happen. Always open to suggestions and advice too..

Here's a couple pics,

Before: very basic setup for the Anole that was residing in there until tonight.

After removing the cork bark (what a job that was to cut off the glass !!)

Had to use this to get back behind the bark to cut the silicone the previous owner used to hold the bark up. I'll say, it worked pretty damn well for a well sharpened spearhead...

Other little made up tools like this help in removing all the years of stuck on crap and dirt...

Gonna take my time on this project to get it right, Wim's Paludarium really inspired me to try my hand at this so, hope ya enjoy the ride, here we go... I'll try to update as often as somthing interesting happens...

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 AM

Post Re: 125 gal Paludarium build

Some of the matirials i'm going to be using for the tank...

Picked up some grid for the false bottom to put the waterfall pump in

And a pack of poly to build the background, would have gotten more but, this was the last one at the big orange supply store.

Going to hold on to the cork bark that I removed in hopes that I can re-use it with the new design in some way..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 AM

Default Re: 125 gal Paludarium build

Ok so, got to work on the pal a little tonight,

Put the false bottom together with screen and put it in its place, left a bit of a lip to keep the zoo med clay balls in thier place.

You can't see it, however, there is a chunk cut out of the back corner of the egg crate (under the styro) for the water intake (and pump if I want more waterfall action that the filter spray-bar doesn't provide on the return side).

As you can see in both pics that I've been working a bit with the poly (little styro balls all over the place). I'm using a hacksaw blade to cut the poly and i'm sure it's probably causing most of the problem but, on my budget, ya use what ya got...

I think I might look into picking up some of the 1" thick insulation panel instead of the poly next.

Just ordered my canister filter last night from ebay, alot of good reviews on amazon and ebay from the same seller and a few other places so, for $49 and free shipping, i'll give 'er a try! I'll have it long before my project is finished so it's functionality will be verified on my 44g freshwater community just after arrival to adress any issues.

Says it's rated for 75gal (264gph flow) which will be a good bit more than I need but, I'd rather have more than not enough.

Still working out the details and although i'm having a hard time envisioning the finished product, i'm glad I have lots of examples to look at. Time is on my side since I don't have any frogs or lizards waiting for me to finish.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome...

Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Mod

I can understand you having a hard time envisioning the final product. With so many options and possibilities, it is hard for me as well.

I am looking forward to seeing more of this project coming along. I will be following suit soon. Keep us posted.

If you plan on keeping frogs, remember that they need a way of getting out of the water. Also, try to give them as much terra firma as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to JPccusa For This Useful Post:
Vincebus (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM

I was looking at the way I have it set-up at the moment and it does look like it needs a bit more terra firma. the background sticks out way to far at this point. I've really been going in the direction of using more great stuff than poly and the reason being is that Sunday I built a viv out of a 10gal for my Tarantula and it came out really nice with just the great stuff and some cork bark (imo). Used a little 12v fan to help the fumigating process along, doesn't smell at all in there now. Giving it a few days before I put Anansi back in there to make sure there's no fumes still present. I really like the way it turned out.

Here's quick peek at that one...

one more...

Anthony

Tags
paludarium, terrarium, vivarium