Looking for a temp controller to plug my space heater into for frog room - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM

Default Looking for a temp controller to plug my space heater into for frog room

Looking for a temp controller I can plug my space heater into not really sure what I need or where to get it...any advice?
I would like something that plugs into the wall and the space heater would just plug into that. Precision is a must
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Looking for a temp controller to plug my space heater into for frog room

Ranco would prob. be heavy enough to control it. I use an oil filled heater in my frog room. I just monitor the temps and adjust as needed.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Looking for a temp controller to plug my space heater into for frog room

not sure of any thing that could transfer the amount of electricity used from the heater to the wall outlet... space heaters use a lot of juice. Does your heater not have any kind of thermostat??? Just an ON and OFF switch?

If the room you are heating is rather small and doesn't require a large heater, then you may be better off just getting a cheap space heater with a cheap thermostat built in and just experiment with it for a day or two to get the temp right, unless you happen to buy one with an accurate digital thermometer on it. I'm guessing about $20-50 would get you a decent heater that should easily heat a spare bedroom and have a built in thermostat.

Or just wait a few months and worry about it next winter

Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 AM

The Ranco could possibly be strong enough to handle it. I would check temps in the room and adjust the heater to the temp you want. I would personal stay away from a space heater. Oil filled would be safer.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 AM

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,317 Posts

I use a Ranco with an oil filled electric heater. ETC Supply They are very accurate and reliable.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:42 AM

Ya it's an oil filled heater. But it literally has settings 1 through 6 on it to control the heat output. And on setting 2 it ranges between 69 and 81 in the room which is horribly innacurate. I have tried just monitoring it but the closest I can get it is on that setting number 2 but the swings are still huge.

Thanks for the link to that ranco! I think that's probably what I will go with. So that unit just plugs into the wall and you program the temperature to where you want it? Which gauge wire and amp draw should I go for?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john253 View Post
Ya it's an oil filled heater. But it literally has settings 1 through 6 on it to control the heat output. And on setting 2 it ranges between 69 and 81 in the room which is horribly innacurate. I have tried just monitoring it but the closest I can get it is on that setting number 2 but the swings are still huge.

Thanks for the link to that ranco! I think that's probably what I will go with. So that unit just plugs into the wall and you program the temperature to where you want it? Which gauge wire and amp draw should I go for?

Thanks!
The standard one works fine unless you plan on drawing more than 1500 watts with your heater. 16g 13amp 1500w
Old 02-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
I use a Ranco with an oil filled electric heater. ETC Supply They are very accurate and reliable.
You never fail to amaze me with the sites you come up with...if I read the information correctly, this same controller can be programed to have a portable room sized air conditioner plugged in as well....neato.... Thanks for the site...
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM

I use a Johnson A419 to control my oil space heater. Works great. Just make sure the heater your using will return to heating mode after power is cut from it.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Another vote for a Ranco controller -plenty enough precision, very rugged and designed to withstand a powerful electrical draw. These have used to control chillers in the saltwater / reef for many many moons.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy S View Post
You never fail to amaze me with the sites you come up with...if I read the information correctly, this same controller can be programed to have a portable room sized air conditioner plugged in as well....neato.... Thanks for the site...
Hey Judy, the one I linked is called a single stage ETC (electronic temperature controller). You can use it to control a heater OR an air conditioner--or even just a fan or swamp cooler for that matter.
If you want to be able to set it and forget it, you can get the 2 stage model. With the 2 stage you can control a heater AND an air conditioner. Temp gets too low and the heater kicks on. These are used a lot by reefers with high end systems. Here is a link for the 2 stage. ETC Supply
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
Judy S (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Sounds almost too good to be true...I'll have to somehow find a way to test for safe amp outlet...I already had a barn burn to the ground because of electricity malfunctions...sure don't need it to happen to the house because of my frogs!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy S View Post
Sounds almost too good to be true...I'll have to somehow find a way to test for safe amp outlet...I already had a barn burn to the ground because of electricity malfunctions...sure don't need it to happen to the house because of my frogs!!!
I've been using these for over 10 years in my reefkeeping and also in my frog room. They are a very high quality tool. You do want to check the amp draw of your heater and/or AC unit. For safety, you should allow about a 10% difference. So if your Ranco is rated for 1500 watts, you should be able to safely run a heater or AC rated at 1,350 watts. If your heater or AC is actually 1500 watts, you can upgrade to the 1800 watt Ranco option.