Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Default first vivarium construction project!!!!!

hi so this is my first time constructing a vivarium and i need a little help on what i should add or fix. i will put a few pictures up. this viv is gonna be for my crested gecko. any help with what plants i should get or what substrate to use for the land side. and what i should do with the water side. anything will help thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload (4).jpg (94.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload (5).jpg (92.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload (2).jpg (93.6 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by zoll; 12-30-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Re: first vivarium construction project!!!!!

I do know that i have a lot of trimming up to do on the great stuff foam!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM

It looks as though you are planning on using nothing but the Great Stuff as a barrier between your water feature and land. From what I've seen, you will need something a bit more than that. Most people use a glass barrier.

I'm not sure on the requirements for crested geckos, but with a tank that small, I'm not sure having 1/3+ of it as a water feature is necessary.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM

crested gecko do not need a water feature at all - but they also don't need alot of ground space. You might consider doing some branches across the middle - cresties would surely LOVE that.

For cresteds I'd choose hardy plants the frog people may scoff at. I have had good luck with some plants that don't grow well in really, really wet vivs and bad luck with things like ficus pumilo whom the frog people say grows like crazy in their vivariums. I would check on pangea for the safe plant list and choose items from there. Make sure to clean them properly and to keep them out of the viv for about six weeks unless you can find an organic source!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popliteal View Post
It looks as though you are planning on using nothing but the Great Stuff as a barrier between your water feature and land. From what I've seen, you will need something a bit more than that. Most people use a glass barrier.

I'm not sure on the requirements for crested geckos, but with a tank that small, I'm not sure having 1/3+ of it as a water feature is necessary.
I have a plexi glass berrier you just can see it because it's covered in great stuff. And it's like an 18x18x36 I think it's not to small. I just wanted a more natural look then just a bunch of plastis plants.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 PM

I know that cresties dont need a water feature but I don't see why they can't have one right? It sounds cool and it looks pretts cool.
there isn't a whole lot of ground space it's going to mostly be covered in plants hopefully. I havnt got around to the branch part yet I have a few from my old terrarium that I'm going to put in maybe before or when I introduce my crested to his new viv.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM

today i carved down allot of the foam and covered it in silicone and coco fiber. for the water side of the barrier i attached aquarium pebbles instead of coco fiber because i didn't want the coco fiber to suck the water into the dry side. im almost finished with the rough coco fiber cover. ill have to do some touch ups before i will be totally finished. the tube hanging out of the wood piece is the tube for the water fall i just haven't cut it yet because i don't want any coco fiber to fall in the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload(6).jpg (92.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload (7).jpg (95.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload (8).jpg (94.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoll View Post
today i carved down allot of the foam and covered it in silicone and coco fiber. for the water side of the barrier i attached aquarium pebbles instead of coco fiber because i didn't want the coco fiber to suck the water into the dry side. im almost finished with the rough coco fiber cover. ill have to do some touch ups before i will be totally finished. the tube hanging out of the wood piece is the tube for the water fall i just haven't cut it yet because i don't want any coco fiber to fall in the hole.

You might have an issue with the cocofiber wicking up water and making your substrate soggy. Hopefully not.

I will be tagging along to see how it turns out.
Good luck with the rest of the build

Edit:
just read it is for a crested gecko.....Beth is right no water feature is needed so hopefully you aren't gonna put a glass top on here right?
He is gonna need some branches to crawl around on I see you mentioned that you are gonna take them from the other viv. Hopefully you put about 4 stretching across at various heights.

Last edited by DragonSpirit1185; 01-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 AM

Thank you. Yeah don't worry I'll be using a screen top and I have a few branches\sticks that will be stretching across the terrarium and I just finished the water feature today I will have pictures up soon. I think might even put some Algae eating shrimp or guppies in the little pond too. Pet me know what you guys think. An I wanna grow some moss around re plants on the land side if that's possible and put some plants on the back ground or something like that. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoll View Post
Thank you. Yeah don't worry I'll be using a screen top and I have a few branches\sticks that will be stretching across the terrarium and I just finished the water feature today I will have pictures up soon. I think might even put some Algae eating shrimp or guppies in the little pond too. Pet me know what you guys think. An I wanna grow some moss around re plants on the land side if that's possible and put some plants on the back ground or something like that. Any ideas? Thanks.
The gecko might try to eat the shrimp and idk much about it being safe for them but you might want to look into that.
I don't think that pond is big enough for anything really.
I had a pond bigger than that in my green tree frog viv and the fish died pretty easily. I even tried just one and it still didn't make it.
Even tried a betta since they can live in small amounts of water and it didn't make it either.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that pond is too small for anything to live in. I have a tiny pond with roughly the size of yours in my 29gal tank and all I keep in there are 2 ghost shrimp, and they seem cramped for space, esp when the water level goes down a tiny bit.

what are the dimensions of your pond exactly ? I'm guessing it is something like 8"x8"x5"?

Last edited by EvilLost; 01-03-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Dang okay thanks dude well. Maybe it will be just a wate feature but I feel like I have to try it. Idk.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLost View Post
I'm pretty sure that pond is too small for anything to live in. I have a tiny pond with roughly the size of yours in my 29gal tank and all I keep in there are 2 ghost shrimp, and they seem cramped for space, esp when the water level goes down a tiny bit.

what are the dimensions of your pond exactly ? I'm guessing it is something like 8"x8"x5"?
I'll measure the pond tomorrow morning. I'm not quite sure. It's something like that.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM

be very careful with the water feature. and make sure there is a way for teh crested to crawl out. i have almost 70 cresteds and the majority of them arent very bright and may get stuck in the water if there is not a really simply way to get out. also i would suggest not having any branches directly above the pool, as they can be clumsy jumper sometimes and if they miss the branch or mis step they may fall into the water and get startled and drown. i know that all seems silly, but i have had both of those things happen with fellow keepers that had water features in their tanks. but i think if you are cautious the tank will work out very well, you have done a great job.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowrice View Post
be very careful with the water feature. and make sure there is a way for teh crested to crawl out. i have almost 70 cresteds and the majority of them arent very bright and may get stuck in the water if there is not a really simply way to get out. also i would suggest not having any branches directly above the pool, as they can be clumsy jumper sometimes and if they miss the branch or mis step they may fall into the water and get startled and drown. i know that all seems silly, but i have had both of those things happen with fellow keepers that had water features in their tanks. but i think if you are cautious the tank will work out very well, you have done a great job.
Unfortuantely, I'd have to agree to some extent.... I tend to go overboard on my tank features, but I am pretty strict when it comes to species needs vs "display wants"
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 AM

so i decided to fill the pond full of small pebbles so theres no visible water showing for the gecko to drowned in but enough so that theres still a water supply to the pump i think its working out pretty well to be honest. i actually have a little bamboo growing in there right now. just gotta wait for my little guy to get big enought to put it in there (: