Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Room temp monitoring systems?

anyone running a room temp monitoring system?
something like this?
WeatherDirect TX60U-SET Internet Wireless Temperature & Humidity Remote Monitor

looking for a good unit so i can know whats going on in the basement anytime i want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Room temp monitoring systems?

I've been looking for such a system as well, specifically one that can alert me via txt message (without me paying a monthly or yearly fee).
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM

exactly with google messaging i figure there is something out there that should work!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM

well after all the research i think that this is going to have to be manufactured by me using an Arduino. throwing this on the design table. end result will need to be a system that monitors temp (humidity can be a perif) needs to send an alert via SMS through a google voice account (free)...the only issue im seeing is "how to send if there is a power outage?" your internet access would be off.... hmmmm

are there any other mech/elec nerds on this board?

Last edited by motydesign; 12-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Is there a way to send updates on a regular basis, and if an update is not sent when it's supposed to, you get an alert stating power may be off, etc?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks View Post
Is there a way to send updates on a regular basis, and if an update is not sent when it's supposed to, you get an alert stating power may be off, etc?
hmmm yeah i guess pinging it could be an option, so i would need a third device that is just monitoring the host PC ... ok i have enough to see if this would plausible.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 AM

Well me and my buddy talked about an option for a wireless motion detector and came up with the idea of using a cheap cellphone and wiring it to send a text when the sensor was tripped! We were contemplating the arduino board but a simpler was the phone and if a power outage it would stay powered for a few days! We haven't started yet but seems like a feasible idea?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motydesign View Post
well after all the research i think that this is going to have to be manufactured by me using an Arduino. throwing this on the design table. end result will need to be a system that monitors temp (humidity can be a perif) needs to send an alert via SMS through a google voice account (free)...the only issue im seeing is "how to send if there is a power outage?" your internet access would be off.... hmmmm

are there any other mech/elec nerds on this board?
A cheap, 10 minute battery backup UPS will get you past a power outage.

Last edited by Yobosayo; 12-29-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier View Post
Well me and my buddy talked about an option for a wireless motion detector and came up with the idea of using a cheap cellphone and wiring it to send a text when the sensor was tripped! We were contemplating the arduino board but a simpler was the phone and if a power outage it would stay powered for a few days! We haven't started yet but seems like a feasible idea?
yeah i guess that would work, but i just dont want to pay for the plan. with the internet and smart phones these days i see that there has to be a code capable of doing this all for free (minus hardware) one time purchase time thing also yeah shields with motion detection or water sensor are all possibilities with the arduino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobosayo View Post
A cheap, 10 minute battery backup UPS will get you past a power outage.
yes a UPS would work if it were a 10 min outage. but sometimes there are outages in the winters that can last for hours (ive heard in the north east of days) of course you would know if it was one that was for days. the idea is notification about the one that are for hours. something like every 10 min (or even a selectable duration) it shoots you a text (power outage). right now building a unit is required to see what the realistic capabilities are of this.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm just talking about those cheap ones at walmart you get a phone for like 15 bucks and get the pay as you go minutes you would need very few texts!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM

still working on this little project and wanted some feedback on a few things. temp is obviously the #1 thing.

now my question is what would you be willing to pay for a unit that texted you if the temp left YOUR set perameters? internet is required, but NO service fee above your ISP.

next what is
humidity
loose of power (this gets VERY EXPENSIVE) either SIM card with monthly or UPS supply on the router and the unit, plus the relay to notify the system.
flood sensor

or other ideas for peripherals like motion door contact or so on that youd like?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Check out net version of Herpkeeper. Can run on APC for backup power if needed. Reads tank humidity and temp and can email or text when S.O.L. Tricky to get set up, but mines been running great for 4 months, no fails
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 PM

sorry their systems are too costly and too complicated, my goal is to design and manufacture something for $100 for the head unit (+each peripheral) that is EASY to set up for alerts.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Why not a simple cellphone app? Little display on your phone with the current temperature. Not a clue how to do it or I'd try it myself. Shouldn't be too difficult if your house has wifi, and an alarm if the system loses power, or there's no update after a certain time frame...
Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobi View Post
Why not a simple cellphone app? Little display on your phone with the current temperature. Not a clue how to do it or I'd try it myself. Shouldn't be too difficult if your house has wifi, and an alarm if the system loses power, or there's no update after a certain time frame...
the updating app, is a def possibility, but a website will be available, but there are two devices im looking at building, one thats SMS notifier no internet needed alerts of power outage, high low temp, water contact. about $250-$280 plus you need to buy a SIM card thats preloaded (monthly fees... all that BS)

then there is one is internet based will notify via text through email for high low temp. its a bit more simpler, so itd be about $200 and you only need to have internet connection.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 AM

What about something like this?

Amazon.com: Reliance Controls THP202 Automatic Phone Out Alarm with 2 Functions: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Reliance Controls THP202 Automatic Phone Out Alarm with 2 Functions: Home Improvement

I live in a desert part of So. Cal where rolling black outs are common during the summer. I just recently bought a generator since usually they warn you when they plan on turning off the power but in the case of an unseen power outage a generator does little to no good if I am at work and don't know it's out. I saw this on Amazon. It looks like it not only calls your cell phone but also monitors temps. The temp monitor is really not that important to me. I know what the temps in my frog room are gonna be based on the temps outside but the power outage alarm would be a frog room saver as long as I get the call. I can make the determination as to whether or not I need to leave work to hook up the generator based on the weather that day.