Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: A New Way to Grow Terrarium Plants

Yes I have cooked up a construction like that too, but the way to do it is probably with a vacuum-molded form as a single piece. Trying to bond several plastic pieces like that would be too costly. With that kind of construction you could give the shape other gentle relief features like swales and short rises in addition to a slope.

However, the flat plate as it is works really well and it is more adaptable and sturdy than any kind of sloped form would be. I have explained this several times already, but the spot where I have observed drainage issues is in the media in the bottoms of the planter pots, not in the leaf litter on top of the false bottom. I manage this issue by adjusting the irrigation frequency and duration and also with the airline ventilation.

Last edited by hydrophyte; 12-06-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Sponsor

I also wanted to explain that although I do appreciate the product-related feedback, I am extremely tired of these feuds with bickering posts that some respondents have brought into this thread. I think that this is very rude. I am reporting to the moderators any such posts in this thread or any other thread that I start.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

I butchered this thread in an attempt to get it back on track. Any more hijacking or squabbling, and infractions will be issued.

Carry on!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Sponsor

Thank you Zach!

I hope to post some more updates here soon.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Sponsor

I got my blackjungle.com order Thursday and everything looked very good. The box was cold inside, but the plants did not seem to have suffered any cold damage. Here is what I got...
  • Monocostus uniflorus
  • Blechnum brasiliensis
  • Seemania sylvaticus
  • Asplenium x ebenoides
  • Begonia species U496

It took me a whole afternoon browsing their catalog and Googling to pick these out. I tried to select among plants that grow as true terrestrials and I was looking for a few other characteristics too, including ease of propagation. I read that that S. sylvaticus propagates freely via rhizomes (sorry if that is not the botanically-correct term) and the Monocostus is the same way.

I'm not sure about habitat associations of that Begonia whether it's a terrestrial or more likely a lithophyte.

That Asplenium fern is a neat little plant. It is apparently a natural hybrid between A. platyneuron and A. rhizophyllum. Like the latter species it can "walk" propagating via plantlets on the leaf tips. I have some rhyziphyllum going in another setup and it looks happy enough, though it only grows very slowly.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM

The Seemania sylvatica is a very fast growing gesneriad that is perfect for drip walls and other damp applications. It not only produces rhizomes, but also sends out long stringy propagules to colonize the space around it. Should work well with your somewhat hydroponic style of riperian growing, and of course the new methods you have introduced here.

Nice fabrication and design by the way!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Josh!

Yes I found those funny propagules in the pots with the Seemania. They looked just like fat beetle grubs and they were way down at the bottom of the pot.

There must be a most-correct term for those things(????).

Do you know what would be the real habitat association for that S. sylvaticus? Does it grow on rocks?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 PM

There are both rhizomes that are part of the plant's root system, and wiry propagules that shot out almost parallel to the ground. They seem to make those most when kept pot bound....

BTW, the synonym is Gloxinella sylvatica...

The natural habitat is definitely along streams and waterfalls/seepages in Bolivia, Ecuador, and Peru......on constantly damp rocks and logs, growing in moss. These photos would be similar to their natural habitat, although this was in the rainforests of Dominica, the habitat is quite similar....

Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Sponsor

Hey those are cool pictures thanks for linking those.

A couple of them have a plant with bifid leaves it looks like a Cyclanthaceae. Do you know what that is? I really want to track down some more Cyclanthaceae.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey those are cool pictures thanks for linking those.

A couple of them have a plant with bifid leaves it looks like a Cyclanthaceae. Do you know what that is? I really want to track down some more Cyclanthaceae.
Haha, we apparently have similar tastes! I've been after those a long time, they are an Asplundia species. All get huge, but I still wanted to experiment with seedlings and see if root confinement could keep them small. I am working with some seeds but so far no germination. All are large, scrambling climbers and epiphytes from South and Central America, and of course the Caribbean. Good luck and pm me if ya ever get ahold of some!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Sponsor

I have Panama hat plant and that is as far as I have gotten. I have it in a 3" pot and that seems to be limiting the size.

I recently saw a dozen 'Jungle Drum' at one of our local garden centers. They were real nice-looking plants but too big for a viv.

They have seeds for four different species right here...

rarepalmseeds.com - palm seeds, cycad seeds, banana seeds
Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Sponsor

I was at our local botanical garden the other day and got some pictures of some plants that could work well with this. Most of these are true terrestrials and I was looking for plants that don't grow so tall.

Amomum compactum - a dwarf cardomum

Chorigyne cylindrica - like most cyclanths this one gets pretty big. However, it should be possible to keep larger plants like this in a viv for a while by just underpotting them. I have Panama hat plant plant (Carludovica palmata) in a 3" pot and it seems to be slowing its growth at only about 12" tall. Cyclanths are cool

Costus tappenbeckianus - this is another nice spiral ginger. I don't see much commerical availability for it. These plants were only 6-14" tall, so shorter than a lot of gingers.

Dracontium pittieri - I think that the larger tuberous aroids are anoth compelling group to try out. This Dracontium is about 9' tall, but if you grow something like this or a Amorphophallus sp. from a very small tuber you can have a plant just 6-12" tall. Since it is in the planter it will be easy to remove and manage dry for its dormancy.

Geogenanthus poeppigii - "seersucker plant", I'd like to get some of this one; it's not too hard to find. It is a real nice groundcover.

Monocostus uniflorus - I do have this one, I got it in a recent blackjungle.com order.

Siderasis fuscata - a commeline. I want to get this plant.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Sponsor

I finally got the tank and I'm making headway with my 37G setup.

I have more pictures in the journal thread for this one.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Need to ask them to pot up a few offsets or cuttings for sale. I will ask next time I'm there. Nice pics. I saw a cool climbing pandus in Maui this week unfortunately there were none for sale.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Sponsor

Do you know anybody there? Unless they have a sale going on most botanical gardens are guarded about sharing their collections with laypeople.

I haven't noticed a whole lot of especially compelling plants there in the conservatory. Most of it is stuff that is already around in the trade. I bet they have better material in the back in their culture greenhouses.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Sponsor

We're going to pick up the first run of laser-cut, custom-fabricated plates tomorrow!!!
winstonamc likes this.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM

dont know anyone well anymore since ed left for janesville rotary gardens, but i am a lifetime member. maybe if i ask they will cut a few things for the spring sale. i get in early with my membership so i could then swoop in and get the good stuff. some other things to try may be some native club mosses. i have a couple really cool ones growing by the acre in some cedar woods. this is native habitat for the tree frogs as i have alot of them around me. also some cool ground living bushy lichens in the area.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Sponsor

The first standard kit is now available. This one is for 12" X 24" fish tanks and I started a sales thread for it right here...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...arium-kit.html

I apologize that I do not have better pictures yet, but I have a complete description there. I am trying to recover my blog hosting password and when I do I'll post more pictures.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Great post and thanks for the tips!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 AM

I think that aside from the hobbyist level, this product has serious potential in professional/institutional settings. Aside from darts, it would be extremely useful when keeping herps that are destructive to terrarium plants as they can be easily replaced, or even rotated to keep the enclosure looking good. Also, keeping the plants confined has great advantaged when dealing with certain digging species. Even desert themes could work here, with sand and other inert materials surround the soil containing pots.
skylsdale likes this.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
I think that aside from the hobbyist level, this product has serious potential in professional/institutional settings. Aside from darts, it would be extremely useful when keeping herps that are destructive to terrarium plants as they can be easily replaced, or even rotated to keep the enclosure looking good. Also, keeping the plants confined has great advantaged when dealing with certain digging species. Even desert themes could work here, with sand and other inert materials surround the soil containing pots.
Yes I have that as part of my plan to put together a promotional kit for natural history museums, schools, zoos, etc..

I just have so many different things to do!

It might be possible to use this system with other kinds of substrate, but leaf litter is the first most logical choice. I don't have much of any recent experience with reptiles, but it seems like most of the digging species should be given room to dig. If you were the set one of these up with a thin sand layer the only place to dig would be the planters with the plants.

Most of the desert areas that I have ever visited were pretty flat, so the flat plate with nice desert plants growing out of it and a nice substrate layer. could make a good visually appealing approximation of how those habitats look.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM

@Hydrophyte: i think your system will adapt very naturally to a desert build. I have used a similar technique (albeit using foam) combined with clay, which I then baked, resulting in a very realistic desert floor. I finish it off by adding sand and rocks for effect.

Additionally, I fill the false floor area with burrowing material and purposely leave one of the openings...open (but I cover it with a piece of wood so its not visible). This allows the snake to still burrow. Similarly, I place their water bowl in a larger hole and cover the edges of it with rocks as well.

However, a suggestion I would have is to have some form of clamps to hold the planters DOWN. The current problem I have run into with my design is that when my snake does burrow, he pushes the planters up from beneath or sometimes he attempts to burrow from other locations (like "into" the planters).

Still also has another added benefit in that the snake will pretty much always poop ABOVE ground. Since the burrowing material is separated by the false floor, it makes clean up much easier; I can go upwards of 6 months before a deep clean is needed, but when I just pour the woodchips in directly, I typically have to clean it out monthly or at most bi-monthly

Here are some pics of what I mean: https://plus.google.com/photos/11015...CNWikciUpN6VQA

Last edited by EvilLost; 03-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Sponsor

That is a real nice setup that you put together! I think that for now I have plenty to do just explaining the idea of using it with leaf litter. It can yield an especially attractive and convincing result with leaf litter.

I have thought about inserts to go into the false bottom plate to hold substrate for digging animals and also small pools for water. It wouldn't be too hard to make something like that with a vacuum-molded piece of plastic and then the false bottom would just need holes to match.

I haven't been able to find it again but there is already somebody who manufactures a molded and textured insert with holes for planting that is similar to what you made, but yours is nicer.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Really cool. I am gonna try this. I must say though,asthetically I like my leca....
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

I might have missed it,nut what are you using to cut the holes in?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanks! A contractor cuts them for us with a CNC router.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Sponsor

I'm making a little more headway with the 37G. I thin I found a planting layout that I like. Now I just need to repot these plants--I'm using ABG mix for all of them--and add the leaf litter.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

Here's another quick picture that I got yesterday. This shows all of the parts that I have with that 12" X 24" kit.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Sponsor

I got leaf litter into the 37 and here's a quick picture...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Sponsor

It's takin' a while but I am getting closer to having the packaging ready.

Here's a sticky label for the 12" X 24" kit.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM

smart way!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Sponsor

Yep it works real nice.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Sponsor

I got thedwarf tree fern Blechnum brasiliense into the 30G tank that I am setting up for fossil plants...

I have a journal for that project right here...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...paleo-viv.html
Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Sponsor

Just tonight the Zamia vasquezii that I got for my paleo viv setup came in the mail...

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Sponsor

Here are the little Gyna lurida nymphs that I got for my planted paleo terrarium project.

It's going to take a few months before I have adults, but I hope they will grow pretty fast. I have already seen a couple of molts and I've only had them a few days.

The adults of this species are really handsome, for being roaches anyway. Check out this linked image...

http://www.roachcrossing.com/gyna.jpg
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Sponsor

...more updates on the way pretty soon I hope.
winstonamc and punctata like this.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Sponsor

I have some news! I just loaded the pdf instruction sheet for the 12" X 24" kit to my blog. Here's the link...

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-conten...complete-i.pdf
Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 AM

What sizes do you offer? Do you have any larger sized ones available for sale?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
What sizes do you offer? Do you have any larger sized ones available for sale?
Currently I just have the 12" X 24" kit (fits Aqueon aquariums) and the 18" X 18" kits (fits Exo Terra terrariums).

It looks like with a minor modification a pair of the 18" X 18" kits will match a 65G Aqueon fish tank.

What size enclosure are you using?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Sponsor

I just set up a quick Facebook page for Selva Terrarium. Please check it out and give it a "like" if you do the whole Facebook thing...

Selva Terrarium | Facebook