Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:41 AM

Default New Build Questions

Ok, so far i am in the designing process of a 40 gallon breeder for a paludarium. I am pretty much making everything, so nothing is out of the question.
I dont really PLAN on having any living inhabitants, but i can see it as a good possibility down the road, maybe just some fish, but possibly some frogs. Im mainly doing this as a nice home for a good orchid collection.

Supplies so far that i know im using are
GS the pond foam
GE Silicone II windows and doors, Black, Grey, Brown and maybe white.
Flourite for the aquatic side.
The division between the two is going to be built of acrylic sheets, chemically bonded with weld-on 4 or 16 which according to plantedtank.net they all say is safe as its a solvent, and evaporates 100%. Then covered in GS foam, then GE Silicone.
Pine bark fines, Sphagnum moss, and maybe some hydroton.
I have a humidifier built and a small pump, probably going to get a new pump.
Sump tank is still being designed, but it will basically follow most sump designs, im using this simply as a buffer for the water temp and balance of nutrients.

So my questions are..
Interior glass keeping it fog free, can i just keep air moving around or do i need to specifically face it toward the viewing windows to keep the fog off...
Does fog usually follow the flow of water? I will have fog outlets next to my waterfall and hoping that this will follow the flow of water to give it that classic waterfall look.
I have two holes drilled so far, one for the water in and one for the water out. The water out will be in my 'pond' area, under the substrate, going through one of those strainers that can screw into a bulkhead, the flourite is a large size gravel, any thoughts of this maybe clogging, or possible problems?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gold3nku5h; 11-25-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 05:36 AM

Default Re: New Build Questions

These are pictures in google sketchup of what the layout so far is planned. The shoreline is a total of 6 inches, with 3 in and 3 out of water, giving any possible future inhabitants plenty of room to get out of the water. It is also a total of about 6-7 inches of water. The depth at the base of the water feature is the depth of my flourite.

I havent placed the dimensions or location of the holes for the drains or pump, and i havent been able to draw the mountain region or the planted area very well yet, so that is still left to the imagination. But this did however give me a very good visual without having to physically mess with my supplies. Tomorrow i will transfer the measurements from this and cut some acrylic and possibly start the divider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ortho.jpg (55.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Top View.jpg (54.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by gold3nku5h; 11-25-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 PM

I was also wondering about the waterfall, it doesnt seem that the actual running water gives very much visual effect for how much work is put into it. I was wondering if anyone does 'dry' waterfalls with just the fog acting as the waterfall. If i went this route i could not worry about the path of the waterfall because it would not flood my land side, but then i would be added the problem of resupplying my water side with water.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm not going to attempt to answer your build questions because I'd have no idea what I was talking about. Not much of a DIYer

However, I can't wait to see this built out. Please keep us posted. We'll need lots of pics.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 AM

lol, this is many years in the process, but i am happy to say. i have found someone at my school that will cut my reflective material for free, and then a classmates dad can bend it to shape for me, which will be the construction of a new, badass, custom 36" light fixture.

then my dad and i (mainly dad) will begin constructing a japanese architecture themed stand and hood. painted matte black cause i cant get a cherry or mahogany finish because its too hard.