Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 03:06 AM

Default best size tank for thumbnails

Hey guys,
i keep thumbnails in 10 gallons currently but i am wondering if this size tank might be too big? i aslo have a pair in a five gallon tank and those seem to grow faster too cause they find food with more frequency do to the smaller space.
what do you guys think?
thanks,
Julio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 04:21 AM

Default sounds fine

I prefer 10 gallons myself as they are easily converted to verticals or left standard. I have kept vents in pairs and groups of 4 in 10 gallon verticals with no problems. My 2 reticulatus are currently in an acrylic box that measures 10.5"Lx6"Wx7"H and they seem to do great and have much easier access to their food supply which consists of small mel. FF and a daily dish of springtails.

-Bill J
Old 02-20-2004, 04:40 AM

I keep most of my thumbnails in 29 gal tanks. The fantasticus and lamasi really seem to need the extra space. I keep my amazonicus in a 20 tall and they do well, but I will be giving them more space soon.

Alexander

Old 02-20-2004, 05:15 AM

I am with Alexander on this one. I think more space is better, think about how big of an area they would cover in the wild... a lot more then any of our tanks . You can use 10's for pairs, but I prefer 15high's or 20's. If you have the space for larger tanks, then go for it. I think you could raise them in smaller temp tanks so they can find food easier and you can monitor them easier, but the adults wouldn't mind any extra room you could give them .
Old 02-20-2004, 02:50 PM

thanks for the great info guys.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:19 PM

I am so glad to see these responces!
I had kept 2 imitator in a vert 10 gallon for about 6 month, and when I moved them to a 20 gallon vert tank they seemed to come alive! They use every inch of thier new tank and are still more active than the imitator I have in vert 10 gallons. Every adult pair I have is going to get a 20 gallon, and I am going to give some of my egg-feeder 40 gallon tanks.

Benjamin
Old 02-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Sponsor

hey guys,
So at my local PetsMart it is a lot cheaper just to buy 15high, $20, than buying 10 gallons for $9 and converting to vert tanks. I am wanting to keep D. amazonicus, intermedius, imitators, fant. and hopfully retics in the 15 highs. Is it ok to try and breed trios (1.2) in 15 highs or would it best be done in pairs? Has anyone tryed this with good results?
Later and Happy frogging,
Jason Juchems
Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I like the 15gal highs also, very cheap and nice size. They however are not as easy to deal with in a rack type setup. I am making my own for now, but may make one more 15gal high to build a stand for 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuchems
hey guys,
So at my local PetsMart it is a lot cheaper just to buy 15high, $20, than buying 10 gallons for $9 and converting to vert tanks. I am wanting to keep D. amazonicus, intermedius, imitators, fant. and hopfully retics in the 15 highs. Is it ok to try and breed trios (1.2) in 15 highs or would it best be done in pairs? Has anyone tryed this with good results?
Later and Happy frogging,
Jason Juchems
Old 03-01-2004, 01:10 PM

This is just an idea I have kicked around. I love 15H tanks, but as Kyle said, it would be hard to make a rack for them. So, if I had the space for it, I would make an island in the middle of the frog room. 4 15H tanks, 2 tanks sitting side by side, with two more back to back against them. All of these tanks would be side opening, with one big hood over the group of 4 tanks. Just some thoughts and wishing.....
Old 03-01-2004, 10:00 PM

I like that island Idea but I don't have a frog room. I plan to order a custom acrylic tank from Mark and Understory Enterprises that will be about a 20 gallon I think, I'm gonna pick it up in april when I go back home for break. Now just need some cash. The question about tank size has been one of my main questions as well, thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-06-2004, 03:18 PM

I had my original pair of imitators in a 10 vert,a 10 regular and then a 20 high vert.The 10vert ended up with a crack in the bottom so I put them into the regular 10 until I got the 20 high completed.
I can say they laid eggs in each one but they were alot more active once they were in the 20 vert.
The pair I have now are in a 15 and doing great but they will get a 20vert whenever I send the female imitator from the original pair down to Patrick. A 20 vert looks like alot of room for 2 small frogs but they use every bit of the space so why deny them the right to have some freedom of movement.
Mark W.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I think it is very different how imitators act. Example: mine are in a 15gal high, and rarely lave the top left 1/4 of the tank. They are active early in the morning, but normally stay on that side.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 AM

I just got a 22 tall for my imitator pair. Hopefully the extra room will make them happier and they will lay some eggs.