Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 AM

Default 20 gallon Tall viv build (buckle up):)

Whats up to all of you people out their. First of I would like to introduce myself my name is Taylor I am by no means an expert at this hobby but am not a novice either. With that having been said lets start.
One of my goals for this tank is to have this tank as fully automated as possible. This tank will have a DIY misting system, a foger (mainly for aesthetics), a waterfall that flows into a river that flows into a small pond all made out of styraphome and grout. Probly LED or T5 lights. The background will be made out of clay. For proper air flow i will have 2 computer fans pushing and pulling air for proper air circulaing to prevent stagmentation. For heat i might use a ceramic heat emiter controled on a thermostate. This tank will probably be housing 3 D luecs.

This is my not so good google sketch of the tank.

This is the soon to be waterfall river pond combo. i am still in the carving stage, the next step is to cover it in grout and paint it. after that all that is left to do is water proff it. The river part will be siting above the false bottom and the pump will be hiden within a large rock. this is without the rock covering the pump. It is in a quick wood mock of a 20 tall so i can get a good perspective.

this is with the pump cover (not finished)

I will post more pick when i am done carving.
till then peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 AM

Default Re: 20 gallon Tall viv build (buckle up):)

just a heads up. do not a ceramic heater. will dry the tank out too much. also you may not even need a heater at all. a little bit cold is ok. mine get to the mid 60's at night and going just fine. if you do find out you need a heater. you could get an under the tank mat heater or use a fishtank heater in the water under the substrate. other then that everything looks ok from the get go
Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 AM

Well its been a while since i updated so i thought i would. first of i finished the grout but i am not sure if have to do a vineger soak to neutralize the PH or if i can just run it as is> Advise would be nice because i am by no means an expert. Anny ways here is the finshed product.

I completed my false bottom with window screen. rather than using clips to hold it in place i used some wire that i just weaved through the screen and the egg crate.

I also ordered my computer fan for my internal air circulation this is it in comparison with my hand. its 40 mil by 10 mil, it realy is alot smaller than i thought it would be. It gets about 2.5 square feet per minute wich is okay for a fan that small although a little bigger would be nice. it moves all the air in my tank around once every miunute. That is one advantage to this type of air surculation their is always room to expand!

and this is it in comparison with a gatorade bottel cap. It really is verry tiny

for my air circulation i wanted a verry clean look without some ugly fan in the viv and i did not have the space to put the vent shafts in the tank so i built it so the shafs would sit above the tank and suck air through holes in the glass lid. Heres what i made the shafts out of, its some acrylic plastic top to a container.

thats it all cut up. i used a dremel but the Dremel rotates so fast that it causes enough friction to melt the acylic into little lumps along the edge . makes for a verry ugly look

and this is the finshed product, i used duct tape to hold it together and hot glue to seal it and make it air tight. its not amazing but it will do.

Here you can see the size of it. it realy is low profile but it does not matter for i will be having a canopy to cover it up

Here you can see that it is pulling air from the back of the tank and putting it out on to the front pain of glass to keep the condensation of. This will be key i think because i will have a fogger and a misting system. (the foger mainly for looks)

all in all about the whole thing was about 20 bucks witch is not to bad for all that. Although i realy do regrete not getting a biger fan, does anny one know how manny times you should have your air sirculate in a miunite? The next project of coures is the mist system wich will be alot harder to do. I was debating about geting a mist king but man thoes things are expensive and as we all know this hobby is one huge monney.
peace out guys hope you have a good week happy ester!!

ps sorry for the spelling i have a touch screan and some times i screw up words.

Last edited by Tex22seg; 04-17-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Definitely neutralize or seal the grout. Go to a pet store and get a kit that tests alkalinity, hardness, and ph. Fill the tank with R/O or distilled water. Use a pump or a bubbler to move the water. Wait a few days and test it. It may take weeks of water changes to neutralize the cement, but its worth it in the end.

Also, you might want to test run the waterfall for a few hours before moving forward in your build. Water wicking off to the sides of the vertical drop, or splashing, could saturate your substrate.

Here is my build that is similar to yours:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...into-wall.html

Last edited by Okapi; 04-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM

Thanks man and that is a truly spectacular tank you have. How long will it take for the ph take to neutralize if you use vinegar rather than water. I really do not feel like waiting more than 2 weeks for everything to even out. Thanks for the advise man.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
Definitely neutralize or seal the grout. Go to a pet store and get a kit that tests alkalinity, hardness, and ph. Fill the tank with R/O or distilled water. Use a pump or a bubbler to move the water. Wait a few days and test it. It may take weeks of water changes to neutralize the cement, but its worth it in the end.

Also, you might want to test run the waterfall for a few hours before moving forward in your build. Water wicking off to the sides of the vertical drop, or splashing, could saturate your substrate.

Here is my build that is similar to yours:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...into-wall.html
What about a vinegar soak?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM

hi
i really like your fan casing idea. i recently started adding fans to my vivs, and they are simply hanging in there by the cords and look like crap
plus when i mist in there they are getting wet. i bought the 80mm fans and they are HUGE and UGLY.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

how do u make it so that the fan turns on once every minute??does it do it automatically once u pug power into it o is there something that must be done befoer? ijm planing to add fans into my tanks as well
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony. View Post
how do u make it so that the fan turns on once every minute??does it do it automatically once u pug power into it o is there something that must be done befoer? ijm planing to add fans into my tanks as well
No you miss understand me the fan turns all of the air in the tank around once every minute. The fans stay on constantly. How ever you could turn the fan on once every minute with a Verry precise timer.

Ps I have an update on the misting system soon!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM
TWI/ASN

update bump!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM

I hope that wire you used is stainless.... Wouldn't want to see rustic iron water all in your plants and frogs! I like the air circulation you worked in. Lots of innovation in this around the forums!