Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Default Redo of my 60 gallon Viv.

It has been a while since i posted on here but visit the sight frequently for inspiration. I have been getting bored with my current set up which is more of a Paludarium than a vivarium and decided to tear it down and start over. It is a 60 gallon tank and had way too much water area with not nearly enough land area for plants and whatnot. I have put alot of thought into this one and look forward to sharing the process with you all. This is going to be my 4th build and each has been getting better than the previous. This is where im at so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clint 016.jpg (94.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Clint 018.jpg (92.4 KB, 76 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Redo of my 60 gallon Viv.

Looks like it should be good! Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM

I havent really ever done this type of viv before and am not sure how to handle the transition on verticle sections. I am using various rocks and wood to create the planting areas that will hold soil, but as you can see in the picture below i have a few areas that are straight up and down. What is a good way to conceal these areas? I was thinking about cutting a hole in the eggcrate and installing a pot at a 45 degree angle to take up the bulk of the area. I feel like i am capped out on the amount of hardscape in here already but dont want any weird areas that just dont look natural. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clint 021.jpg (93.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Clint 024.jpg (92.8 KB, 44 views)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Being a newb I really dont have too many suggestions, but I am excited to watch you build it and see how it turns out.... with how much time it takes to build these things it is quite the undertaking to dismantle one and redo it...... keep us updated.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM

what about securing screen to the eggcrate and then putting great stuff on them to create lips (to gold substrate in place from falling everywhere) and maybe little ledges and you could leave bits open here/there to allow drainage and air flow?
One thing about that is it wouldn't have so many different types of hardscape, maybe more cohesive?
I really like how it's all different levels
Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM

I decided to add a little great stuff to solve the problem. I was trying to stay away from it in this build but it seems necessary to do what i was looking for. I have also reduced the number of different types of wood in the build to help with the natural look. I did have 5 different varieties and it just looked off. with the number and type of plants i plan to use there is not a need for so much wood and rocks so once again I have changed the whole setup. Here is a pic of the back bone for the lower levels. The back left is for pump access, and the cork round in the middle will be a small stream for the water area. I put screen around the back of the cork round with a ziptie to keep any critters from wandering. I am creating a drip wall with planter areas and a waterfall for the back tonight and have been putting it off for too long. I hate making things final but need to get moving on the darn thing. More pics to follow tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clint 025.jpg (91.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM

I used 2 cans of GS big gap and finished the hard part on the background last night. The rock will be a slow trickle waterfall that disappears into gravel below. each of the areas that have wood on the background have about 3-4 inches of foam behind them and i am going to carve out the inside area to create planters for flowing plants and shorter slow growers. This gives me 5 different levels of plantable area that will contain soil and irrigation. I am installing an 8 hose drip manifold for watering that will be on a timer to go off 2 times daily. 5 of the drip lines are run to the back ground area due to the fact that they will dry out quicker than the rest. final coverage of soil on the background will be done tonight. Then im going to do a dry run with out substrate to make sure all of the water is going where i want it to. I love building these things and cant wait to get some flora and fauna in there soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clint 037.jpg (91.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Clint 042.jpg (91.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Clint 045.jpg (92.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Clint 046.jpg (91.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Finished Photos of 60 gallon Redo.

After a long weekend of fun I have completed the viv for the most part. I still need a few aquatic plants but i like how it turned out. I do need a good magnetic pump to handle the pressure for the 8 hose irrigation. Any suggestions for a pump or good semi-aquatic or aquatic plants? I scored on the nepenthes at my local ace hardware as well as the tillandsia. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right 1.jpg (96.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 60 done.jpg (95.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Rt Done.jpg (98.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg back 1.jpg (93.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg back 2.jpg (92.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg left pitchers.jpg (96.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg nepenthes.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Pitcher log.jpg (96.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg waterfall.jpg (95.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg waterfall 2.jpg (95.9 KB, 28 views)

Tags
60 gallon, build, vivarium