Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Default exo-terra Monsoon

Well I ended up getting the new exo-terra monsoon. Actually my girlfriend came home from work with it. I guess i must of been a good boy, or something like that? Seeing as It looks like im the first one to get one, or atleast admit they've got one. I figured i'd post some pictures and a quick review.

First of all I do have to admit, the packaging is very flashy. Which made me a little skeptical, But i figured what the hey, This should work nice for my stand alone display tank.

Right out of the box set-up was EXTREMELY easy. Simply plug in the misting line to the top, then supply line, and finally the power and your good to go. run your lines to your tank and your done. The misting lines/ fittings are metric so i'm not sure if you could get away with mixing and matching between other nozzles that use 1/4" fittings.

While The website states it's a 1 gallon resevoir, I found after dumping in a full gallon it maybe filled it about 1/3rd of the way.

Operating the system is pretty easy too, 2 dials, one for the duration (2-120 seconds) and one for cycle timing (every 1-24hrs). An on and off button for manual operation and a 3rd button to set it on cycle mode. Kinda stinks that ya cant set the time specifically, but not a big deal.

One downfall is it uses suction cups for mounting the misting nozzles, this could be fixed by using magnetic airline holders I suppose though so far the suction cups seem to be pretty high quality so maybe they'll hold, we'll see. The other thing I would have to say I didnt like is the nozzle heads that it came with have a rather narrow spray, although they do put out a surprisingly fine mist. This was a very simple fix with some 3$ wide angle misting heads I had sitting around. It does drip a fair amount after it shuts down, but for sure no worse than any other system without the zip-drip valve.

All in all I'd have to say its not a bad system. While its no mist king I definitely think this will be very helpful to alot of beginers or people who may normally be overwhelmed by the DIY aspect of many other systems, at not a bad price. While i've heard it could run over 130$ at some places my local pet store just got some in and is selling them for 90$. Only time will tell how well built it really is.

Last but not least a short video of it in operation. (we'll see if it works, i've never posted one before)
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid967.photobucket.co m%2Falbums%2Fae158%2Fjjdude16%2F101_1549.mp4">

Link in case i fail...
101_1549.mp4 video by jjdude16 - Photobucket
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jason21 For This Useful Post:
edwing206 (01-20-2011), epiphytes etc. (01-20-2011), Evan Keller (01-23-2011), froggies3 (05-13-2011), Geckoguy (01-11-2011), got2envy (01-25-2011), Judy S (01-22-2011), Kirru (05-11-2011), LRobb88 (01-12-2011), Marty (01-16-2011), nurse3766 (02-04-2011), Philsuma (01-11-2011), rob65 (01-21-2011), s6t6nic6L (02-05-2011), SNES (01-11-2011), viv4life (01-31-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Default Re: exo-terra Monsoon

Ive been wondering who was going to post first on the monsoon. Thanks for posting . Well from what I see the nozzles are pretty cheap and the method of hanging them as well, but hey for someone just getting into the hobby and only doing a tank or 2 the price is pretty solid.
I myself will be staying with Mistking, and im really wondering when Marty is going to be getting his new system on site. Oh Marty
Again thanks for posting and you have a pretty nice viv as well. What do you plan on putting in there or are their inhabitants?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Ive been wondering who was going to post first on the monsoon. Thanks for posting . Well from what I see the nozzles are pretty cheap and the method of hanging them as well, but hey for someone just getting into the hobby and only doing a tank or 2 the price is pretty solid.
I myself will be staying with Mistking, and im really wondering when Marty is going to be getting his new system on site. Oh Marty
Again thanks for posting and you have a pretty nice viv as well. What do you plan on putting in there or are their inhabitants?
The tank in my pictures currently has a group of 3 auratus in it.

Thank you, I just figured i'd give people a chance to see what another hobbyist experiences are with this product rather than just what the sales ads say. Like I mentioned before this is by FAR no mist king, the only thing I see it has over mist king is that it had nicer look and plug and play set-up. If anything though i think this may actually help out mist king, enticing beginners who are normally scared off by the idea of having to do any kind of DIY work to set-up a misting system. Allowing them to get their feet wet per say (pun intended) and realize how nice and benificial it is to have an automated system and eventually encouraging them to move up to bigger and better just as most of us do starting out with something simple like a single pair or group of auratus then next thing ya know you've got a frog room and a wall O tanks.

As a side note I probably wouldnt of gotten this system if it wasnt for the fact my girlfriend works at a petstore and got it for substantially less than retail

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Sponsor

Hey Jason21, exactly where did you get those white wide angle nozzles?

I think I need some.

I have a monsoon I am hooking up next weekend.

I will report back on this thread my experience as well.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM
TWI/ASN

Remember....these are 2 different "animals"....

Mistking systems are always going to be superiour for rack systems,for instance.

This Exo product is a small "portable" one-off viv accessory.

2 very different products with different uses.

I'm still excited to see it. So....$90.00 retail huh? That means I can get it for @ 55.00 with my vendor account.

Like.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Hey Jason21, exactly where did you get those white wide angle nozzles?
I happened to have some just sitting around but you can get there here too.
http://www.cloudtops.com/misting_sys...ingnozzles.php

Philsuma- you should be able to get it about that. I think it was somewhere around there with the little ladies employee discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to jason21 For This Useful Post:
Venutus1 (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Well less than 24hrs and we have our first failure... (please hold the "I told you so"s till the end) after coming home from work today I went upstairs to check on the frogs and noticed hmm, the mister is out of water already. Odd because i had it set for every 12hrs and for 20 seconds... Thankfully I only put a gallon in so not too much waste.

I took the top off to investigate and sure enough it was FULL of water. Apparently the "quick connect" that runs through the top of the lid to the misting nozzle supply line had decided to leak. At which point i'm assuming it shorted the control board causing the motor to run constant. GOOD news is the thermal protection worked as the motor kicked itself off after attempting to run dry for a min or two.

a peak at the inner workings, notice the cute little china star motor

The culprit

After drying everything up I decided to see if i could simply fix it myself, so I pulled the line out, cut the end off nice and square (hoping this was the problem) replaced it, and sure enough, still leaks. I've come to the conclusion its a bad union. So... back to the store we go to exchange it, hopefully it was just a fluke. All in all not a good start, but hey these things happen.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
TWI/ASN

oh noes !!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Sponsor

To be fair... I didn't even think they were released yet. That's got to be one of the first to be out. Hopefully that's uncommon.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 PM

I think they may have just been released this week. The store had just got them in that day we got it. I don't imagine this would be a common problem, and definitely not a sign of a manufacture problem as the union does appear to be a high quality one. Most likely a fluke, and well a perfect example of my terrible luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Is there any chance that the changing of nozzles caused the failure of the unit?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM

you know that thought crossed my mind too, but the new nozzles arent really any more restrictive than the old ones, just wider angle. The original nozzle actually has a smaller port and puts out a finer mist. After a little more fiddling around tonight, I was able to get the fitting to seal up, but the damage is alreaddy done to the circuit board from the water leaking.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 AM
TWI/ASN

Keep us updated!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:04 AM

How Many Tank do you think that it will do if it does work?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
How Many Tank do you think that it will do if it does work?
The specs state it can handle 8 nozzles.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
Remember....these are 2 different "animals"....

Mistking systems are always going to be superiour for rack systems,for instance.

This Exo product is a small "portable" one-off viv accessory.

2 very different products with different uses.

I'm still excited to see it. So....$90.00 retail huh? That means I can get it for @ 55.00 with my vendor account.

Like.
55...thats about what I'd like to see this product sell for retail...maybe up to 70. At that price I'd likely try one, at 9 bucks less then the new mistking starter I gotta go mistking if I go automated
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Pls inform if it's said it manual, how deep under ther viv it can be sitauted? I mean most external canister filters & the stuff like this, is strictly recomended to be under the viv in a specified lenght.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNKot View Post
Pls inform if it's said it manual, how deep under ther viv it can be sitauted? I mean most external canister filters & the stuff like this, is strictly recomended to be under the viv in a specified lenght.
I didnt see anything in the manual about line length, although i didnt look too hard. Out of the box your provided about 10' of line. so you have a fair amount of flexibility right there.

A side note, I did return the original for a replacement. First thing I did was check the quick-connect inside the top of the unit, that was good. Then this morning though i noticed that now the Tee where the line splits to the two nozzles is leaking. Fortunately it was just a case of the line not being seated completely pushed it in all the way and it was good to go. Other than that so far so good.
The Following User Says Thank You to jason21 For This Useful Post:
Venutus1 (01-13-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 AM
TWI/ASN

Looks like a whole lot of retail stores have this one the shelf now, and the retail price point is @ $90 bucks, which I still think is too high to get it into the hands of the average hobbyist.

Now a high-end reef tank or SW product, maybe....those people are used to paying $$ for stuff, but your average frog keeper......nah....I just don't think they will be stocking too many of these that will sit on the shelves for long periods of time....
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Now a high-end reef tank or SW product, maybe....those people are used to paying $$ for stuff, but your average frog keeper......nah....
Is that because froggers are cheap?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 AM

From someone who sees people drop several hundred dollars at a time to set up a single enclosure on a regular basis, I think the monsoon is going to be pretty popular. I've also heard a rumor that the unit is designed to handle up to 10 nozzles - I'm curious if Exo Terra will come out with additions to the base unit.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 AM

Well If it does Support 10 Nozzles that is a Base cost of 9 Per Tank plus the Cost of Nozzles and Hose

However if it will Only Do 1 Tank the Cost is 90 per Tank.

I am still Waiting for more Reviews from Board Users and for it to show Up on Local Shelves
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Its still not on the shelves at my local Petsmart.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 AM

I'm surprised it can handle so many nozzles/tanks. I figured they'd market it towards people with only a couple (1 or 2) tanks. Still, more expensive than I'd like to pay (as someone with 1 enclosure...)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM

One thing to consider is with a gallon reservoir you'll be refilling alot running in on multiple tanks. But supposedly a gallon just fills it up 1/3 of the way or something so if you can fill it nearly to the top then maybe that isn't much of a concern...though I'm curious why they'd market it as a gallon only if it can actually handle almost 3x as much. Is there something about the hardware and configuration that make it so its not good to fill it up that much?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:49 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidadelp View Post
Its still not on the shelves at my local Petsmart.
immediately...I think you'll find it at all the reptile shows, for sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 AM

how bout a video?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 AM

I'll be filming a video showing the product in use this Friday - expect it to be up on JoshsFrogs.com in the near future.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphytes etc. View Post
how bout a video?
epiphytes etc. (01-23-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM

They just got it in at my LFS and have it hooked up to the display viv at the counter. The all-in-one design is certainly appealing but the manufacturing "fit and finish" seems relatively poor. A look at Jason21's pics will kind of give you an idea of this (thanks for the great pics BTW). I wouldn't call it 'cheap' but it's not the kind of product that screams durability. One thing I've learned in my years with saltwater tanks and my first few vivs is that if an electronic device has moving parts or handles water then you should ALWAYS spring for proven quality. I've never regretted paying more for Eheim pumps or Jager heaters since they have never failed me.

Even if you are able to get the Monsoon at a relative bargain for $90, You will only pay 30% more for MistKing's starter system. Most people buying from their LFS will pay full list and even drsfostersmith.com has their Monsoon price set at $120. At this point it is pretty much a wash.

The Mist King Starter System
$100 - Starter System.
$28.00 - Seconds timer
$5.00 - Five gallon bucket at HD

The MistKing can run up to 20 nozzles(double the Monsoon), the seconds timer has programmable events instead of intervals, and the system can be upgraded for no drip. Add to that the fact that you are supporting a small business that stands behind their product better than Hagen and I think the MistKing is the obvious choice.
The only advantage I can see to the Monsoon is that it looks inconspicuous and is portable. If you absolutely had no place to conceal a mister then I could see the value of the Hagen product. As far as portability goes I can't think of ever needing to have it. Even if you are going to shows then an old fashioned spray bottle does fine for a day or weekend.

Just my opinion. I'm probably going to order the Mist King this weekend so I can stop manually spraying twice a day.
charlesbrooks (02-11-2011), epiphytes etc. (01-23-2011), kyle1745 (01-24-2011), Marty (01-23-2011), mortal (01-21-2011), Okapi (02-24-2011), Tadbit (05-13-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
immediately...I think you'll find it at all the reptile shows, for sure.
Great somewhere else that is not locally available all time to everyone.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Great somewhere else that is not locally available all time to everyone.
There's a show close enough to everyone....

If you were refering to yourself for instance....here's your place / date to see a monsoon in person:

NARBC North American Reptile Breeders Conference

and here's the list of shows all over the U.S of A....

kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
There's a show close enough to everyone....

If you were refering to yourself for instance....here's your place / date to see a monsoon in person:

NARBC North American Reptile Breeders Conference

and here's the list of shows all over the U.S of A....

kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists.
Well I don't consider a show 150 miles away one time a year convenient. Especially when Not everyone works MON-FRI 8-5.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM

I set one up and played with it at work today - I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the ease of setup, fineness of the mist, and overall simplicity of the system.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Well I don't consider a show 150 miles away one time a year convenient. Especially when Not everyone works MON-FRI 8-5.
There has been considerable buzz about this product and a lot of froggers will be picking them up as they trickle into stores. Give it a week or two and there will be enough feedback for you to make an educated decision without actually seeing the product in person.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOregonKid View Post
There has been considerable buzz about this product and a lot of froggers will be picking them up as they trickle into stores. Give it a week or two and there will be enough feedback for you to make an educated decision without actually seeing the product in person.
And if it does not trickle into a local store ... still no option other than MAIL ORDER.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Its being made by hagen, almost all pet stores order from hagen. I dont know what the issue is.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussardnr View Post
Its being made by hagen, almost all pet stores order from hagen. I dont know what the issue is.
I guess it's on some sort of "roll out" schedule....

I called "that fish place" and they said it's "on order" and expected in "soon".
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Is there really a roll out schedule? Hagen doesn't use distributors any longer, so the stores can't get it from their weekly supplier. Perhaps they are just waiting till they have enough of an order.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussardnr View Post
Local Petco Not Carrying them and Have no idea if they are gonna Carry Them

Local Petsmart : See Above

Local Pet Store: specialize In Birds and Fish does not carry Hagen Products

I don't see a problem either....

Availability is the Key to being a Viable source in the Hobby...Mail Order only is Not. No Offense Marty. Many people in this Hobby are Young and Do not have Credit cards

Tags
exo-terra, monsoon