Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Default Light Fixtures

I need a new fixture for my vivarium because I can't find bulbs that are the right wattage. What does everyone use that gives their plants plenty of light but is low profile. I looked at home depot but they look like the kind you would hang on a rack, this is for an exo terra I am keeping out for people to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Light Fixtures

why not use the exo terra fixture w/ the compact florescent daylight bulbs?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM

I was thinking about it but I wasn't sure which ones were right because all I know is that the bulb should be 6500k. I didn't know the difference between the 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Exo terra makes 2 kinds of fixtures for there tanks. One is a compact flourescant fixture which you would need to run the 2.0 bulbs. I believe these are the 6700k bulbs, the 5.0 and 10.0 are the uv rating, if I am not mistaken. The other fixture is a t-series fixture which is WAYYY more expensive and the only benefit of it is that it can hold the t series bulbs and 2 basking bulbs (if what you are keeping needs a basking area). I would HIGHLY suggest looking into the exo terra c.f. fixture, i believe its like $20-$30 depending where you get it, and for bulbs, walmart sells 6500k c.f. bulbs for like 5 bucks each, or you can buy the exo terra 2.0 bulbs which are 6700k for like 13 bucks each.
Tim
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM

Yeah just get the exo w/ the compact florescent... Home Depot sells the daylight cf for super cheap.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 PM

In attempt to salvage what I already have...

can I run a 6500k bulb and a 10000k bulb (tubes) in my t5? Would that hurt the plants? I am running on only one 6500k and everything is starting to wilt.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyphil View Post
In attempt to salvage what I already have...

can I run a 6500k bulb and a 10000k bulb (tubes) in my t5? Would that hurt the plants? I am running on only one 6500k and everything is starting to wilt.
As long as they are the same type and the total wattage does not exceed the wattage of the fixture
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about it but I wasn't sure which ones were right because all I know is that the bulb should be 6500k. I didn't know the difference between the 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs.
Any fixture will run bulbs of any color temp (k for kelvin). 5.0-10.0 has nothing to do with color temp, it is basically a UV rating that describes how much uv radiation of different types the light gives off...and as far as I know it is something fairly arbitrary that one manufacture made up and others followed though it may represent some legitimate system of measurement. You don't need those bulbs for darts, though It certainly wont hurt unless you over do it, plants may benefit some from uv also. UVA and UVB are useful for many reptiles and some amphibians though, but darts as they live under the canopy in shaded areas are thought to have adapted to those conditions similar to how nocturnal animals do who are not out much in sunlight and have minimal need for UV lighting, and supplementing with calcium d3 allows them to get the vitamins they need and would produce on their own if they had UV lighting (if they don't already or get it from food sources)

So to answer your last question yes you can run a 10000k bulb with your 6500k if it is designed for 2 or more bulbs, but it will make everything look more blue...You'd probably be better off just running 2 6500k bulbs. It won't hurt your plants, you just may not find it as pleasant to look at as you would 2 6500k bulbs.

Here is a thread with some recent posts I made about lighting which may have useful info for you...
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...62-lights.html

Also here is a general guide to aquarium lighting. While it may be more directed towards aquarium use it has good info about what lumens are, lux, Kelvin, par etc..etc.. and what all that means and why it is important to know it. Much of the info carries over to the Vivarium hobby.

Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, Light Basics.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM

I would love to run two 6500k bulbs but my second one keeps burning out becuase I don't have the right wattage. I just want my plants to grow, I don't mind if it has a little blue tint to it. Does the color not really have anything to do with plant growth?

Last edited by steelyphil; 08-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I would love to run two 6500k bulbs but my second one keeps burning out becuase I don't have the right wattage. I just want my plants to grow, I don't mind if it has a little blue tint to it. Does the color not really have anything to do with plant growth?
Well plants tend to like red and blue light, which is why many grow lights use them, especially LED grow lights but most bulbs throw out a spectrum of colors so even a white bulb produces some red and blue light which is why 6500k daylight bulbs are so popular. They throw out enough light in spectrums that plants like best but still look good to our eyes. If you read that aquarium lighting guide it explains some of that.

There is no reason for your fixture to burn out your second bulb like that.
Color temp has nothing to do with wattage. If your second bulb burned out it was most likely due to a faulty or old bulb or something is wrong with the fixture itself and/or the ballast that controls the lights, unless you are trying to shove a bulb size/type into a fixture that was not designed for it(no fixtures are designed for bulbs of a specific Kelvin that I'm aware of). If the fixture is working properly there is no reason you shouldn't be able to buy a new 6500k bulb of the appropriate size and put it in that fixture. You aren't trying to jam a t-5 bulb into a fixture that only takes t-8's are you? Most fluorescent tube fixtures are designed to take a specific sized bulb, t-2, t-5, t-8 etc..etc.. and you can get those bulbs in a variety of lengths. Most fixtures taking tubes will be designed to only accept bulbs of a particular length and likely a particular "T" size. Usually the wattage for any bulb of that length will be the same or close to it. For example all 18 inch t-8 tubes will probably be 15-20watts (if I remember correctly). Incandescent fixtures (where you screw a light bulb in) may take bulbs of many different wattages but the fixture may be rated to only handle bulbs of a max wattage of 15-25 watts per bulb.

It would help to know exactly what type of light fixture it is. The brand, make/model....But if the 10000k bulb works and you don't wanna spend the money on a new 6500k bulb to go with your other one you can do that and you're plants will probably be fine assuming you have enough light of any colors over them. It would also help to know the size of the vivarium and the total wattage of your bulbs. Usually as a very very general rule 1-3 watts per gallon of tank (depending on tank height mostly) will give you adequate light for plants and animals and look bright enough to your eyes.

Btw if your plants are dying it could be because you have plant types not really suitable to vivarium conditions or your tank is to wet or to dry. You said they are "wilting"...are they turning brown and are dry to the touch, like sun baked leaves or are they brown and soggy/soft? The first would suggest to much light and/or not enough humidity...the second suggest to much humidity/not enough airflow and possibly not enough light. Some plants should be planted in wetter areas and/or close or far from the lights others in dryer areas and close or far from the lights. Depending on plant type where you place it can be very important. Also soil types are important. For example, If you have a plant that likes a well/fast draining sandy soil in a clay and peat based soil that doesn't drain well it will probably die, and vise versa.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 08-29-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Its a 24inch 28 watt (14 per bulb) Corallife Aqua light T5 and I had two 6500k 24 inch bulbs in which are 24 watt.

FL24 / T5 / 865 / HO - 2 ft. - 24 Watt - T5 High Output - 6500K - Plusrite

So I guess the first bulb is using up all the watage so the second bulb doesn't get enough? Thats why I was going to get an exoterra one because I couldn't find 14 watt t5s.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Ok I think I get it now...You are putting t-5 HO (high output) bulbs into a standard (non HO) fixture...thats why it isn't working. Ya, you can't put a HO bulb in a normal output fixture and have it work right usually.

From what you said your light would have to be this...
Coralife Saltwater Aqualight T5 24 Inch 28 Watt
Or the freshwater version...but if it came with a 10000k bulb it is almost certainly for saltwater. Thats a normal output t-5 fixture so you will either need to by the coral life brand bulbs meant to be replacement bulbs for that fixture (14watt 24" t-5 normal output tubes) or buy another brand with similar specs like these from the vendor you linked to....
1000Bulbs.com | F14/T5/865 - 14 Watt - 6500 Kelvin - T5 High Efficiency Fluorescent
Notice the difference in wattage, normal output vs the HO you linked to.

I would probably just get the cheapest one listed there, it is actually brighter according to the specs then the other 2 more expensive ones. The only potential problem I see is that it is slightly shorter so there is a chance it might not fit real well in the socket...which is odd I don't know why that brand would be that much shorter. Chances are it will still work but if you wanna play it safe just go with the GE brand. You might actually be able to get those at walmart or home depot/lowes Just make sure you get T-5 14watt 24" normal out put and not the HO type.

Or you can just stick with the 1 6500k and 1 10000k bulbs you have that are designed for that fixture, assuming you already have one 6500k bulb that is the right type (I wasn't clear on if that was the case or not). You shouldn't have one unless you bought the freshwater model which comes with one and then also a red "colormax" bulb. Or you bought an extra bulb of the right type. If you just have the one 6500k bulb and it is 24watts it will probably just go to waste. Even though the wattage is the same I doubt it is putting out the same amount of light that 2 14watt bulbs would since at the very least the fixture isn't designed to power that type of bulb. The salt water version comes with 10000k and an actinic bulb, which sounds like what you have.

If that is the case you could use the 10000k and the actinic that came with it and probably have enough light for plants but it will look a whole lot better with a 10000k and a 6500k or 2 6500k bulbs, and probably be better for the plants and animals. I'm not sure it would be good to keep frogs with lighting that was that "blue" in the long term. It might damage their eyes and/or effect metabolic processes being that far off the normal daylight spectrum. It could even effect breeding since it will alter the color they perceive of their potential mates possibly making them less desirable.

Now if you tell me the vivarium size, I can tell you if it is likely to be enough light. If it is a 20Long then it probably is since the tank isn't very tall. If it is a 20High it is probably adequate but you still may want to add another strip light to get better plant/moss growth and better light coverage. With just the one strip you'll probably wanna place it over the middle of the tank, but the very front of the tank and/or the very back might be a little on the dim side. You could get a really cheap walmart under the counter fixture and set it on the back portion of the tank for like $10 bucks or shell out the money for a nicer fixture. Either will help with plant growth and light coverage and making the tank look nicer probably. If your tank is larger/taller then a 20H you'll likely need more light for good plant growth. For example if you had a standard 30gal I'd use 2 of those fixtures preferably with all 6500k bulbs to light it... maybe more.

Many people, especially beginners probably don't have enough light on their tanks for good plant growth unless they specifically buy all low light plants. But that severely limits what you can do with your viv creatively.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 08-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 AM

Ok, I think I've got it understood now. I just need to buy two 6500k 14 watt bulbs, from the link you gave me. As for my viv, its a 18x18x24 exo terra which is about 33 gallons. This is before leaflitter and a few other plants, it has a few things hanging over the middle so the fixture is more forward.

My flowers aren't there anymore, they have fallen off, half the plants have been moved around.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Ok, looks good.....Did nice job on the hardscaping. Hope that is mopani wood or something other then grapevine in the back though as that will rot fast. Can't tell exactly from the pic. So the light hangs over the edges a few inches right, since the light is 24in and the tanks is 18in wide? Anyways If you go with leaf litter and don't plan on having many plants on the actual floor or stick to plants that like really low light you should be fine. The orchids will most likely all die...they look to be the fairly typical ones from home depot/lowes and most aren't all that suitable for vivs. Many either get to big or like to much airflow and prefer drier conditions.

Looks like you did ok on the broms. The one on the floor will grow rooted pretty well even in fairly wet tanks and the one mounted is the type that will probably do well mounted and not planted in a big pot or on the ground. The other one mounted behind the wood I cant see well so if it is like the one on the floor it may need watering more often or some sphagnum moss around its base to hold moisture. If it is like the other it will probably be ok...though without bright light you will probably not get it to turn the colors you often see broms have in pictures. The ones like on the floor always stay green, and don't really change color unless its while dying The flower stalk will die and you'll probably wanna cut it off but the plant will produce pups and form a mound of plants unless you separate the pups from it, but I think each plant only flowers once.

You might get lucky on the orchids but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not sure about the fern or the other plant...don't know my pants well enough to identify the species from the pic, so can't say for sure. Overall like I said if you go with leaf litter and low light plants on the floor you should be ok, but It probably wouldn't hurt to have a little more light on that tank because of the height. It will likely be more pleasant to look at if brighter also. My 30cube has over 100watts of cfl lighting on it to get good light penetration and grow moss on the floor well. So I'm over 3watts per gallon on that tank and it looks to be just perfect if not overkill.

You're tank is at slightly less then 1 watt per gallon and of similar size/height as my 30cube so if it were me I'd try for 1.5-2.5 watts per gallon on it, meaning add another light to the back, maybe the exoterra lights made for those tanks and put 2 15-26watt screw in 6500k cfl bulbs in it. Unless you are a good photographer, or just got lucky besides what my own experience lighting many tanks many ways suggests, I'd guess that since you didn't wash out or over expose the photo any, in fact if anything it is under exposed suggest your tank looks fairly dim in real life. For me to get a photo like that on auto settings I usually have to turn off half my lights at least. It is a nice photo though
Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Yeah, I moved the brom out of the ground and put something else there thats doing really well and I did go with leaf litter. I'll put an updated pic later.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Guess its really less than 33 gallons since the false bottom doesn't count...

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
TWI/ASN

Nice Viv

If you are looking for an Exo Terra light I have a couple that I am selling and may be available for pickup, plus I'm only 20 minutes from you.

I like frogs with flash marks.