Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 AM

Default First time build... :)

I'm really excited about this. This is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this. I've built a vivarium with a 47 gal column tank, but I've never really built a tank before. I've been on here a while but never really posted anything, so I figured I'd start off with a construction thread.

I was working at my aunts house today and noticed down in her basement a bunch of window panels that she wasn't doing anything with. So I asked her if I could have them and she said sure. So I brought them home, removed the aluminum framing. Which wasn't too hard but making sure I didn't break anything was. Luckily my clumsiness wasn't at its peak. After removing the aluminum frames I measured and cleaned the panels. The panels were 1/8 inch thick, pretty thin but I'm sure they will be alright for what I'm planning.

So I assembled four of the panels together making the current build at 31x20x26. Its a lot larger than I was expecting, but that's cool I can work with it and work towards a great build. I don't have a top or bottom yet and I know that if I try and move it with just the four sides it will prove to be disastrous. So I plan to make a plywood bottom because the short sides of the tank are a 1/2 inch taller. I figure that the extra 1/2 inch will help with support later on. I'm not sure about what I'm going to do for the top yet though.

I would really love some feed back on the thickness of the glass. I'm kinda worried it could be a problem but I'm sure with care I can work with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (16.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (14.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (15.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg pic4.jpg (14.5 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Default Re: First time build... :)

This is gonna be cool!

I've got some plexiglass pieces and I'm trying to figure out how to make a tank out of them.

What did you use to hold them together? Silicone?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM

Fair play mate.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM

I taped the pieces together which was hard to do, but once you have the first corner taped together they stand pretty easily after that.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

I've worked in a glass shop for 8 years now, and I'm also worried your tank may be to big to be made out of 1/8" glass. Cutting it down yourself is easier than most people think, but you could also get it cut down at a glass shop if you don't feel up to it (at the shop i work at its 5$ a cut). If you really want to keep it that size I would at least get some kind of "L" shaped trim molding on the outside, and a big silicone joint on the inside to help support it. I hope this helps you