Dendroboard banner

Ten gallon verticals or horizontals?!?!

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
Im planing on doing a row of 10 gallons for my rack...i have room for either horizontals or verticals.

so either this

10 Gallon AGA terrestrial vivarium top – Jungle Box

or this

10 Gallon vertical conversion kit – Jungle Box

I was thinking of doing tree fern backgrounds on both of them. For the horizontals i would just do the way back part...Heres the thing, i could easily fill my 10 verts with thumbnails but for the horizontal tanks what could i put in there? I dont think thumbnails would display very well in horizontals. Im leaning towards the horizontal tanks since they seem like they would utilize more space than the verticals. My rack will hold exactly 4 tanks and 2 are going to be for froglets! So should i go vertical or horizontal? Also, what should i put in there if i go horizontal? Thank you.

#8 ·
Another tank you can consider is the 15G tall. Check with your suppliers for the vert conversions, but I'm pretty sure they'll fit. The 15G tall is nice because it has the same footprint as the standard 10G, but gives you more height on a horizontal or more depth on a vert.

#10 ·
Im kind of leaning towards the horizontals! Wat kind of frogs could i put in my 2 free tanks? Can anyone think of a frog that doesnt need tons of room? If i landscape it properly and utilize every inch do you think i could mabye do a pair of azureus in one? Mabye tricolors? I really like tricolors!

#11 ·
tricolors like some height for calling and azureus would be better off in a 20 gallon. thats not to say you couldnt do it though. a few people keep them fine like that.

for 10 gallon horizontals you could do...
azureiventris
vittatus
leucomelas
auratus
some of the smaller tincs (french guiana cobalts, oyopaks, etc.)
quinquivittatus

#12 ·
Most folks here would probably recommend 40 gallon breeder tanks for tincs (including Azureus), but I only use ten gallon horizontals for all of my frogs and find that pairs of tincs do pretty well in 10 gallon tanks. I also have a pair of Solarte Pumilios and trio of Iquitos vents in 10 gallon horizontals and they are doing great. I think the extra floor space is important.

Hope this helps, Richard in Staten Island, NYC.

#17 ·
Just my experiences talking here. With the exception to my exoterra all my tanks are horizontals, I have several 29's and several 10's a 1 36 Bowfront. I find that the Horizontals give me more room to plant things and lie leaf itter or driftwods. Also it allows me to use the cheaper plastic racks instead of the expensive bakers ones. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.