Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Parts & Construction (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/)
-   -   Trouble Deciding: 135g viv v. Rack (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/47610-trouble-deciding-135g-viv-v-rack.html)

happy dart 11-28-2009 02:58 PM

Trouble Deciding: 135g viv v. Rack

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to decide between keeping my 135 gallon aquarium or selling it and using the space to create a dart frog rack.

I am a complete beginner to dart frogs. I was thinking about keeping a single D. leucomelas in a 10 gallon I have in my bedroom. Once I gain experience with that, I would transfer it over to the 135 gallon vivarium that I would have already set-up and allowed to stabilize for a week at least. Every time I could afford another D. leucomelas, I would add it to the tank. My goal is to eventually reach group of 8-12 frogs, though I probably will never be able to afford that many. I figure since the tank is big enough with enough visual barriers, there shouldn't be too much territorial disputes whenever I add a new frog.

Or, I could just sell the whole thing and get a big rack system (the current tank, hood, and stand takes up a 6'x6' section of wall right now). Its been said many times before that beginners should not attempt large vivariums. Maybe I shouldn't push my luck and stick with the norm...

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

son of a addict 11-28-2009 03:32 PM

Re: Trouble Deciding: 135g viv v. Rack

I would sell the 135,a rack means more tanks more tanks mean more speices. Then again I've become addicted as do most people who enter the hobby

Geckoguy 11-28-2009 03:43 PM

I picked rack but wheres the option for both thats what Id really do.

happy dart 11-29-2009 12:08 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

After some serious thought today, I've decided to stick with my 135. My reasons are:
1. It would be a PAIN to move.
2. It is just about the perfect size for a large vivarium in my opinion.
3. I am really not into the collectors side of the hobby- right now I'm only into D. leucomelas.

Thanks for your help though!

MattySF 11-29-2009 12:39 AM

A wise choice a larger viv is so much more enjoyable for creating a viv in.

frogmanroth 12-02-2009 11:48 PM

135g viv

Keep the big tank. It does look cool when its all set up, I however have a black thumb:(

Yeah racks are nice if you have all the know how(and can raise lots of flies!).

I see to many people get a bunch of frogs then they cant take care of them and the frogs suffer. It pains me sometimes, thats why I don't post to much. But lately I've seen lots of frogs suffer, so I thought I would give my,

Two cents

Morgan Freeman 12-04-2009 12:35 PM

Large is a good choice. A big display tank you can really be proud of.