Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Large Vivarium Construction

Hi everyone I have a 15 foot long by 5 foot wide by 33 inch tall acrylic aquarium. I was heavily into saltwater for many years and the tank was set up as a reef. In fact it has been featured in Books and Magazines and was featured on Reef Central as Reef Tank of the month January 2008.

I am switching directions and going back to my roots. I will be converting the tank into a vivarium with a large black water lagoon and rivers edge that will hold a freshwater stingray. The land section will be for Poison Dart Frogs which I have had for quite a few years before they became popular, haha.

My question- considering the amount of space I have to fill- what is the best substrate to consider for both water and land. Details would be appreciated and if you make a recomendation if you could also list a source for the material that would be great!

What are the benefits to a false bottom and why should I consider one?

Thanks

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Default re: Large Vivarium Construction

A false bottom allows the water to drain down and not soak the substrate, same as LECA or any of those types of ideas. What substrate you use depends on your goals - use the Search feature here and all your questions will get many types of answers and decide from there.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 AM

I have used the search forum and gotten many different opinions. I am trying to get the basic pro's and con's of the different types figured out and then apply that to my system.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 AM

First off - that reef was absolutely STUNNING! Amazing job! I'm going to post the link here just so others can get an idea of what you are talking about . . . massive!

Tank of the Month - January 2008 - Reefkeeping.com

So are you just burned out with saltwater? I have to say with results like that I think it'd be tough to give it up!

Last edited by melas; 07-30-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 AM

There are many reasons I quite with saltwater. At the moment I don't miss it - but I may. I am excited to start down this new venture.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 AM

How does this sound:

For the bottom layer I was going to use inch and half sized river rock,

then the next layer would be down to 3/4 inch river rock

and then over that place pea rock,

the top layer would be coconut fiber about 1.5 inches deep

and then plant

Would it be wise to use some hydroton in place or mixed in with the pea rock?

Do I need anything else?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 AM

That's an awesome task, but you are obviously up to it. My only suggestion is that you might want to look into the hydroponic fiberglass slabs as your base for supporting the land area, which the water area will circulate under, and the land portion will drain into. This would need to be lined with something like weed cloth all around. You will need the usual canister filters for water circulation, and any waterfall or drip wall features you may design. Otherwise, you may need to separate land and water areas with glass walls and have two separate systems for each going. I'm very curious about how you will eventually do this, because there is such potential here for a spectacular habitat.

I've done a couple of smaller aquarium/land habitats that have worked well, but nothing of this size. My aquarium residents are mostly tetras of various sorts, which have oddly thrived for years in my frog tanks, when I was never able to keep tropical fish alive for more than a few months before this.

I'm mostly posting a reply because I really want to follow up on what others have to say and what you end up doing with it. What dart frogs are going to eventually enjoy this space?

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:26 AM

That is about what I did but I placed a layer of fiber glass screen between the river rock and pea gravel to isolate any stray substrate from getting into the rock and water.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Location: Mohrsville, PA (1 and a half hours from Harrisburg)
Talking re: Large Vivarium Construction

1. That tank is amazing

2. Your plan is good but I wouldn't do straight coco fiber for bedding, mixing in orchid bark, sand, soil, and coco fiber or other such mixes are better. I always do mixes and it seems to be better for the plants
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Where is a good source for coco fiber in bulk?
Also what is the benefit to orchid bark and where would I get it?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:55 AM

Location: Mohrsville, PA (1 and a half hours from Harrisburg)

The first question, I can't really answer
The second,
Orchid bark is an airy substrate and seems to be good for the roots
Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 AM

I don't know about bulk amounts of coco fiber, but petco.com currently has a 6 pack of compressed brick coco fiber for 43% off retail price. I think it's at under $13. That's an amazing deal. With a tank of your size you will need quite a lot though as I'm sure you have already realized.

I think you will become hooked on this hobby incredibly quick. I know of a number of people that have moved from reef tanks to dart frogs, and as far as I know none of them regret it at all. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 AM

Sent you a pm.

I am sure someone could correct me if I am wrong, but you could probably use the bulk peat moss found at the hardware stores in cubic foot bags ? Mixed with the other ingredients listed above. (Which keeps it from compacting (air), and helps it drain.)

I go for Coconut husk chips over standard orchid bark mixes (which is mostly fir bark.) The CHC are a renewable source and are supposed to last longer than fir bark.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 AM

I believe you are correct as long as you make certain there is no fertilizer in it.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 AM

Please document the build with alot of pictures. This will certainly be an impressive enclosure when completed!!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumpster View Post
I believe you are correct as long as you make certain there is no fertilizer in it.

This is what I have used :

Listed as 100% canadian Sphagnum

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/G...r/fPremier.htm

Look for the product: Peat Moss
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM

You can google coconut fiber and come up with literally hundreds of outlets for bulk fiber, such as Plant'It Earth that has 50 liter bags for $22.00. You'll want to shop around a bit and compare prices, because they vary a LOT. The same is true of orchid bark, which is more coarse, disintegrates slowly, so provides aeration and drainage over a long period. You might even consider mixing in some long light brown sphagnum moss (NOT the dark brown peat moss, also available in bulk) as this does a magnificent job of preventing root and stem rot in plants due to some sort of "antibacterial, anti fungal" properties. It will also sometimes "come alive" and grow. There are probably viable spores among the fibers, and it's rather pretty when it does this. Both Canadian and New Zealand sphagnum may be available, although a few years ago the New Zealand type became hard to get, apparently due to depletion of the sources.

I would recommend that you avoid any mixtures that contain either Perlite or Vermiculite, as both of these substances will stick to frogs, float in water and tend to clog things up more than they help in a vivarium situation.

Other alternatives for separating the soil from the drainage layer, whatever you use for this, are polyester batting (from the quilting section of most any fabric store), and weed cloth that comes in big rolls from most any nursery. I've worked with both and somewhat prefer the batting.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)
Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 AM

If you decide to use straight sphagnum peat as a substrate, I would like to make a couple of suggestions:
check to see if the peat is pH adjusted. Most sold in hardware stores is nowadays, but you want to make certain that the mix isn't too acidic. (many South/Central American plants come from calcareous soils and are alkaline with an acidic leaf-litter layer above)

Mix some horticultural charcoal into the peat before adding the substrate. This will help keep the soil from "souring" should it become saturated with water, and plant roots really benefit from the chemical/mineral composition of the charcoal.

When making a "potting mix" for my Anthuriums, Philodendrons, and other semi-epiphytic plants, I use the following mix: 2 parts Peat, 1 part Bark (I found ZooMed Reptibark works quite well), 1 part horticultural charcoal, and 1/4 part pearlite. I would suggest a similar recipe, less the pearlite.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM

Thank you everyone- OK I have revised this somewhat and since to me this is one of the most critical elements of the build I need to get it right the first time. Remember on a tank my size I can't change things easily so I definately appreciate this input.

So for my base I will use 2" volcanic rock (light and airy -drains well)

next layer will be 1" volcanic rock( same reasoning)

Then weed matting or other barrier

Then sand mixed with coconut fiber and orchid bark.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM

The only thing i would worry about with sand is it compacting over time and/or sinking out of "suspension" in the mix over time.

if you're worried about drainage and air in the actual planting layer of substrate, The orchid bark should do you just fine. Maybe mix in some tree fern fiber, and something like schultz aquatic plant soil, which i have used in some of my tanks for increased soil drainage. Essentially you're putting together a similar mix to what a bonsai grower would use. I'd even hold off on much of the coco bedding, as you will have the tank very well hydrated on a regular basis and don't necessarily need that much moisture retention in the soil. Drainage and longevity will be key for a long term large tank like yours.

For the bottom layer, it might be worth investigating some ways of creating a false bottom. This would actually give you an advantage by allowing a larger water volume, if the land and water area will be sharing a common filtration system.

My $0.02 either way, and i'm looking forward to seeing the build out.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM

You can make a flase bottom in the same mannor as you would a plenum for a saltwater sandbed.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM

wow man so many ideas come to mind with this
what kinda say you gona get ? i would be extra carful with what you get for the frogs as rays can be very touchy with alot of chemicals so id be really worried about leaching.
also how you planning to keep the frogs on land. if one happens to venture onto water that ray will be on it in no time which could be very bad for both partys.
that salt tank was amazing have you thought of converting those stacks to tree trunks that would be stunning create a big chunk of the forrest floor.
good luck with this and take as many pics as you can then take 10 more
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM

To answer a few questions, the purpose for a false bottom is to provide a drainage layer so that the upper layer, be it straight sphagnum, soil, etc. does not stay constantly soaked. Things that are constantly soaked tend to rot, breed bacteria, etc. A false bottom or layer of leca (or volcanic rock as you have suggested) all serve the same purpose of keeping your top layer from sitting is water. It is my opinion that many hobbyists keep their tanks way too wet and with the volume of this tank you will probably want some ventilation and air movement to keep your plants and frogs healthy. The other thing you will need to consider with a tank of this size is that your subtrate will break down over time regardless of what you choose and you will need to add fresh layers over time. The broken down material will collect at the bottom of the tank and outside of a complete breakdown of the tank they will just stay there. Due to the size you are not going to want to break the entire thing down very often if at all. If you go with straight sphagnum, it will last a couple of years and what I do is remove the live moss that grows on top of it, any plants etc., lay down a fresh layer and put the moss and plants back on top of it. The mix you were referencing will last longer. You may also want to consider leaf litter on top of the substrate you mentioned. I don't know if that tank has drains on the bottom or not, but I would not want water stagnating in something that large. I'm assuming you are going to have some type of moving water, just make sure you don't have areas where large volumes of water can stagnate. You'll also need to figure out an escape proof top, which will be interesting.
Hope this helps and looking forward to see what you come up with.

Robb
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Thank you for the thorough explanation and comparison of the advantages toward each substance.

The water section will have a small water fall and an outside sump to filter and monitor the water quality in the lake or lagoon area. The depth of the water section will be approx 8-10" and be 5' x 5'. Not very deep but a large surface area appropriate for a stingray.

No seperation will be needed between the stingray and the frogs. Stingrays can be trained to eat specific foods and will ignore other items outside of what they have been taught- very similar in a way a falconer trains a hunting bird (hawk etc) to go grab a rabbit and bring it back to the trainer instead of eating it right there where they caught it. With a regular schedule and specific foods offered they learn quickly where and when to go to get fed.

The bottom of the terrarium will be approximately 1-2" above the water level (At it's lowest point) of the lake and slope up toward the back of the tank in a "hill".

I will either set up a misting system or realistically a humidifer on a timer to keep the tanks land section self watered.

I do not plan on doing a tank tear down to replace the soil that is why I am choosing carefully. Furthermore if it becomes an absolute neccesity to perform this in the future I am hoping the weed barrier will be a great way to grab and lift out large sections at a time.

The volcanic rock will fill in the void to keep the soil sections elevated. I have the coir or coco fiber and fir bark or orchid bark ready and will mix this with a free draining preferably washed sand and will use that sand for the bottom of the water section as well.

A large section of the tank will simply be riccia for ground cover with a well planted back wall and other interesting features. I have had a 150 gallon palarium once before and it got taken over by large leafed plants quickly. To the point where nothing was visible. I will avoid using these in the system (NO POTHOS) and prefer small leaved slower growing plants for the back drop.

Ventalation: This is the next challenge. I do not want to constantly wipe off 15' of acrylic to see what is going on inside. I am thinking some fans aimed at the front glass set up on a timer to go on in the morning and after any misting occurs.

Approximately half or more of the top of this tank is covered by braces. In fact I only have 4 openings in the top for access. So basically I need to create 4 screened access covers to keep everything in. That should be doable.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Approximately half or more of the top of this tank is covered by braces. In fact I only have 4 openings in the top for access. So basically I need to create 4 screened access covers to keep everything in. That should be doable.

My glass tank has a eurobrace and I went to the local hardware store and had them make me 3 screen sections that lay on the eurobrace to prevent any escapees. I then took 1/8" plexi(the thin stuff at Lowe's or HD) and laid it on top of the screens. Then over the course of a few weeks I drilled holes in the plexi until I reached a good balance of humidity within the tank in combination with fans to reduce/eliminate condensation on the front of the enclosure. My fans run most of the day and are off during the night.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM

I am thinking about setting up a bank of fans aimed at the front glass similar to a defroster in a car. Something easy but effective.

Here's a complicated idea: I have been thinking about replicating a thunder and lightning storm inside the tank but without the actual electrical bolts.

What I would like to do is automate a storm by having the lights dim, a thunder/rain soundtrack start and somehow get bright light flashes to randomly occur as the thunder soundtrack plays. During this I might have a misting system start a rainstorm inside the tank. This would be down the road quite a ways but I always like to plan and weigh options. Does anyone have any advice or links to something similar?
CJP likes this.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 PM
TWI/ASN

It seems like a strobe light would give the type of flash you want, but you would have to figure out how to slow it down and make it a bit more random.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:07 AM

Yeah that's a good idea, have a strobe light turn on and off with a timer that can go down to seconds instead of minutes. This would do lighting bursts.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:51 AM
TWI/ASN

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use cocofiber you will more than likely stain the water to the point that viewing your ray may be difficult. You may want to divide the water/land feature and keep it completely separate that way you can adjust the water parameters much easier.

If you don't feel like doing that I would go with a false bottom (egg crate) and forget the lava rock. My reasoning for this is to allow for more water in the tank so parameters of the water for the ray can't change as rapidly and it would keep it more stable. This would also allow for the staining from the cocofiber to the water to be minimal. It would also allow you to move the water under the false bottom and detritus debris will not build up between the rocks.

As far as substrate I would use a variety of stuff since you have so much room. Atlanta Botanical Gardens mix is always awesome.

ABG mix
2 parts fine fir bark
2 parts fine tree fern fiber
2 parts milled sphagnum moss
1 part fine charcoal
1 part peat moss

You should also try maybe an area of clay based substrate.

This thread will teach you a lot about it!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...te-thread.html

Pro's Choice Products
Steph likes this.

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
TWI/ASN

I really think the hydroton is superior to the lava rock even though it is more expensive since it absorbs water and leaves optimal air gaps due to its spherical shape. It's not as visually pleasing, though, so you could do a facade of lava rock in the front of the tank and fill in w/hydroton behind that.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:22 AM

i go with clay based you can get enough here Bailey Ceramic Supply - Clay - Dry Clays and Chemicals to make it for cheap im using this formual for my 75g
kaolinite (EPK) 1100 56%
Bentonite (absorbent clay kitty litter) 550 28%
Fe Oxide red 70 4%
Fe Oxide Yellow 70 4%
Al oxide 60 3%
sugar 15 1%
cornstarch 15 1%
gelatin 10 1%
soy protein 10 1%
CaCO3 20 1%
it cost 286$ that is asumng you land area is 7x5 and 3" deep which seems resable room for a ray well more then needed. good luck love to see it finshed

Last edited by midget; 08-01-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 AM

oh my bad you sad water be 5x5 it shouldnt cost any more then around 300 then to make pretty cheap imo, and a lot cheaper then reef tank lol
Old 08-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, thanks Midget but kitty litter and some of those other materials sound like they could leach materials in to the water and affect the stingray. I have to be very careful that whatever I use won't affect the water chemistry as stingrays are very sensitive. Thank you very much for the opinion.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM

that storm idea sounds good at the local aquarium in edinburgh they have a jungle set up for large amazonian fish and they had a simulated rain storm which was nice.at work the other day i was day dreaming about having a metal halid lamp on a track above the tank do i could have sun rise and set cycles and using coloured plastic so when the sun was going up it change from red to white at midday then red up at sun set.would not be easy but would be very nice.

you did not mention what kind of ray it was or i missed it. are you getting a moto ?
last thing are you planning to give the ray the run of the hole tank ?
this project should be amazing good luck with it

Last edited by fraser2009; 08-01-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:00 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Well, thanks Midget but kitty litter and some of those other materials sound like they could leach materials in to the water and affect the stingray. I have to be very careful that whatever I use won't affect the water chemistry as stingrays are very sensitive. Thank you very much for the opinion.
I understand your concern. What Midget posted is basically what the soils in the Amazon are made of, so if they leach into the ray's water. They theoretically should be just fine, but I hear ya and I probably wouldn't either. The ingredient were made up from Matt who is a soil scientist and has studied soils in the amazon.

Try some of this stuff in an area. I believe it is fired, so it shouldn't leach into the ray water.

Pro's Choice Products

Stick with the ABG mix for the majority of the area. Well draining and should help to lower the pH in the ray water.

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Jason- what's the deal with your cramphibian website link? I see you have a Costa Rica Connection. I and another member- Tico Mike own over 100 acres of Rainforest near Corcovado national Park. We are also building a house In Uvita.

My Vivarium is actually based on the Costa Rican Biotope (except for the stingray). One of the rivers that cuts through our property is littered with the blue jeans frog. I was hiking up a small stream doing a water survey to install an irrigation/drinking water system into our property when I saw two of them within 10 feet of each other!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 AM

yea what jason said. but i also agree with you hate to lose a ray due to a freak accendent. what jason posted would put ya to ease since its just clay. also what ray is. personly love montros. also i be more carefull with a ray in shallower tank like that could get stung easier. good luck
Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 AM

My dream stingray would be a Henlie or Leopoldi. They are basically black with white or yellowish dots. Problem is they are way to expensive!
Well today three of us spent scrubbing corraline algae off the acrylic. Now I need to refinish the tank before I can begin putting everything back in.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 AM

coming from someone who had a 1700 gallon reef tank never would of thought to hear to expensive. lol must have been a fun day
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 AM

I have a price qoute on one at $1200- see way to expensive!
The Following User Says Thank You to Energy For This Useful Post:
JealousFist (06-27-2011)

Tags
rocks