Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Plumbing & Drilling question...

I posted this on Dartden over a week ago and never got a response, I'm hoping this forum is more "lively"

I have lot of experience with saltwater tanks - reef and such so now that I am embarking on this Vivarium project, I am wondering why not drill and plumb a tank with a small overflow box that leads out of the bottom of the tank & into a bucket in the stand. Then have that bucket equipped with a pump to lead back up to the top back of the tank where the water feature / falls would start? It's my impression that it would make for a nice & easy water change and would keep the whole thing running cleanly. Am I dreaming over hear out of inexperience?

A bit of background is that I am the mother of a 7 yr old who says he wants to be a herpetologist when he grows up. I also have an 11 yr old girl who is "going to be" an actress / dancer. So I figure in equal to all her dance lessons.$$$ he should get the frog tank that he has been asking for many moons. I myself am an animal lover... and help him to take care of his bearded dragon while he helps me with my rabbits. We have a couple of cats... and we are all big lovers of all! So husbandry and research is nothing new to us.

I just got a 40 gallon hex with stand/light $35 bucks on craigslist so I'm off to a good start. Now it's time to plan! Oh yeah he is coming back in August so I want it all to be a surprise. If you guys think I need to sketch my plan out for you I will but I thought that it made sense. Please any input would be great!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Plumbing & Drilling question...

It's been done... It's a very good way to do it, too. Just make sure your drainage layer is deep enough - and make sure your waterfall isn't so high it splashes everywhere. (ask me why I know this lol)

The external water reservoir works well... There is a name for it - but it escapes me.

Good luck w/it!

Oh - and an idea for you... Consider drilling the holes in the BOTTOM and running PVC up for the waterfall behind the background - and a shorter (maybe ~2.5" high) PVC pipe for drainage however high you want your water level to be. The drainage pipe would end in the drainage layer so you wouldn't see it. That way you have NO external piping at all - it can all run thru the stand and the reservoir could be underneath. ...just a suggestion
Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Makes sense! I definitely don't want anything showing or that the frogs could get stuck in. But the hex has such a small footprint I want to try and give them as much bottom flat space as possible. And I also would like to try and do all the water change/cleaning outside using a sump type method. Is it true you can put a freshwater fish in the water portion of the tank? I love fish so that would be cool for me. What kind? If they mated and took their tads to the water wouldn't the fish eat the tads? I wouldn't be trying to mate them but if it happened I would want to care for the young offspring!

I think I will try and journal my progress so if I am doing anything stupid someone can let me know. Thanks for the reply. If anyone knows a link where I can see someone else who has done something similar it would be appreciated! I am a very visual learner...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 AM

Sounds like a mess that im currently in...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...o-journal.html
http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...-log-pics.html

I've been planning for about a year now, but with school and stuff, i've been pretty busy. Im also making it way harder on myself, becaues im building EVERYTHING besides the actuall glass tank (stand, sump, lights, canopy). Anyways i have been wanting to get back to it, because i've gotten so good with growing all my plants, i want to consolidate them into the paludarium. A paludarium is what your talking about if you didn't know, half land half water.

As for the footprint, you can make it for arboreal frogs, and build layers.

I think we should give each other idea's because i can give you good tips and stuff on the viv side, and you can help on the sump stuff. Im very confused about that. Anyways, let me know, i have some pics of what i did, havn't made it, but i've thought about it so much, im sure it will work.

Also, there is this very helpful thread about how to make artificial rock. Its silicone GEII i beleive, but im going to use that, as i believe its fine with frogs. Great stuff for the structure, then different colors mixed lightly to give a good naturalistic look.

Since we are doing a seperate sump tank, there really is no need for a drainage layer, so i think i can get by with about an inch 'drainage' layer. I'm also using nylon tube for my piping, and nylon hose barbs. Im going to have a pretty intense waterfall, so im going to have a few different sizes of tube, and a few manifolds to reduce size of tubes, while still acompanying the same volume of water. This way i can have multiple outputs, and still have the same volume of water. I will also have a fogging system, that will release next to my waterfall to give a 'waterfall' look. I have 2 holes drilled in the base of my tank, and have 2 toilet parts forgot what they are called, but its a single pipe, witha smaller pipe inside it.

And this is mine so far, just the land/water divider. Theres going to be a single stream that collects in a pool on that structure before its last little waterfall into my 'pond/sea?'
http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...-supplies.html

Names aaron by the way. And hope that link helps, because im kinda going off that a little.

And last thing, i know some good pumps if you want to have a variable speed pump, that would be good for being able to control you water speed.

Last edited by gold3nku5h; 07-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. That one link is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. I am starting to think OMG what have I gotten myself into? I'm wondering what is the simplest cheapest set up I can get away with. I don't even mind taking a spray bottle and misting it myself to save 100 bucks for now. I do think we are set on getting Darts because of the Diurnal nature and the amazing colors! We are set to keep some D. Patricias from a local guy here. I will follow your progress and look forward to seeing your finished product! I need to find my battery charger for my camera so I can start taking pictures of what I have here. But the tank already has a plexi divider built in the lower front but I think it's kinda high.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 AM

So is the divider in yours permanent?
If so you can probably work off it, or even make a plexi-glass custom divider, and cut to fit around the permanent one, then when its out of the tank, spray the foam, let dry for a few days, carve till you like it and cover it with silicone.

Im basically doing that, but you can also add some coco-fiber stuff, thats real fine into the curring silicone so that moss will grow on it to give a nice looking transition between rock and land. It will also look good from the moss to the actual substrate because it will grow over both.

One thing that i've seen never really used, but can make a world of difference is the shoreline. No one i've seen has ever made a natural looking shoreline, and if done right, water depth is of no concern.

Anyways, i'll wait and see what your pictures have, then see if i can help.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 AM

No I don't think the divider is permanent but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the Paludarium and even housing a dwarf puffer! So I think I came up with a plan that can protect the Dart frogs from falling into the water part while still giving them a splash down area and facilitating the whole overflow/sump plan! If it wasn't for the crappy divider someone siliconed in the tank I wouldn't have come up with this idea. I will post a play by play once I get going and get my camera working. I don't think that I'm going to plant the sump down below though. I don't want the extra hassle/cost of lights etc... I think a simple bucket with some filter floss & carbon will suffice. Overall I think it should equal out to about 7 or 8 gallons of total water volume. Now that I have the plan in my head I can't wait to get started... now where to find some time?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 AM

I got a question, i have 2 holes drilled in the bottom of my tank. There is one hole on each side, water and land. I have a toilet plumbing part that is basically a pipe, with 2 smaller pipes inside it. I was going to use 1/2 of the pipe for drain, and the other half for fog. And on the water side 1/2 drain and 1/2 waterpump. I was wondering how do you make your drain to your sump? Im confused about how to prefilter the water to get it to flow down the drain without worring about sand and stuff getting clogged.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM

what you are talking about sounds like what I did a few months ago
I drilled the back of the tank not the bottom so that the tank is easier to move off the stand
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...53_320x240.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...51_640x480.jpg
two of the pipes drain the water from the front pool, a third drains the false bottom and the forth is attached to a pump that pumps water from the bucket/sump.

the bucket sits in the stand and I simply swap the bucket to do water changes.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...35_640x480.jpg
saves heaps of time + it triples the water volume of the tank

btw Tim your tank is wicked!