Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Default 40 Gallon Breeder Build Questions

Beginner here (Have only attempted one other tank)

I am going to start a build on a 40 gallon breeder soon, but I have questions.
I want to make a waterfall in the back corner of the tank that falls into a river that drains into a pond. For the false egg crate bottom, do I make it the entire bottom of the tank? Most people seem to make it only a portion of the bottom of their tank.

For the river, I was thinking of using half a PVC pipe, should I add rocks ontop of the PVC? Is there a compaction risk for the frogs with that (I have Kassina Maculata).

For the pond, What are those little clover-like things everyone has floating in their ponds and what are their function?

I saw a thread here were someone made a rain chamber right in the tank. Are there pros and cons of that? Do frogs benefit from the rain even if they aren't breeding? Would it cause frustration if there were two males (the female is not ready to be in the male tank yet).

For the background, last time I did the Great Stuff with silicone and coco fiber, but after 6 months the silicone still smelled so I ripped it out of the tank. I was thinking of using bark (cleaned, of course) for the background, using silicone to attach it to the backwall (I think the silicone and the foam was the reason for it still smelling. Silicone may have gotten into the air pockets of the foam and been prevented from drying).
What are the best options for a background?

Thanks in advanced for any answers and I am sure I will have more questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: 40 Gallon Breeder Build Questions

These links might be of some help.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-vivarium.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-exoterra.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...foot-cube.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...rock-wall.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks soo much!
It seems like the rock thing is the big thing now. The coco fiber and GS sure didn't work for me.
With the rock wall, you are able to plant plants in the crevices then?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok, I wanted to do some sort of waterfall, river, pond sorta like this, but my question is this.
If the pump malfunctions, what do you do, since it seems to be built into the background.
Or do you use the egg crate to create a cage around the pump and all the way up the cage, so if it malfunctions you can pull it out. What do you cover the top of this crate cage with so the frogs don't enter it?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM

If I am going to do the foam and concrete background, Iwas thinking I could make the waterfall of the same type.
I have two decorative rock formations (cascading rocks) that I think I am going to put at an angle, then put foam pieces between and cover with the concrete and connecting the foam with the fake rocks using concrete.
Can I then make the river bed out of foam and concrete?

EDIT: Also, I want to make the rock wall outside the tank and then put it in. Will it sit fine or do I need to secure it to the backwall?

Last edited by Cnfessions; 06-22-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM

Do many people attach wood into the rock wall?
(Sorry for so many questions)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM

Hey

Well looks like you have alot of questions-good for you, it's better to think it out before you start, take my word for it lol Anyways lemme see if I can help a bit.

Building a cage around the pump that goes all the to the top of the tank is a good way to achive what you are looking for. your frogs wont be able to enter because it will be flush with the top of the viv. Another idea is to conceal the pump in the pond area and just run some tubing to the waterfall area.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a stream using the foam concrete method. it may be easier to use a piece of cork or pvc and just dress it up though.

I haven't personally used the styrofoam-concrete method but i have seen tanks combining this with driftwood accents that look really nice-give it a shot!

Hope this helps, cant wait to see this tank, should be awesome!

Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken were a candy.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchb View Post
Hey

Well looks like you have alot of questions-good for you, it's better to think it out before you start, take my word for it lol Anyways lemme see if I can help a bit.

Building a cage around the pump that goes all the to the top of the tank is a good way to achive what you are looking for. your frogs wont be able to enter because it will be flush with the top of the viv. Another idea is to conceal the pump in the pond area and just run some tubing to the waterfall area.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a stream using the foam concrete method. it may be easier to use a piece of cork or pvc and just dress it up though.

I haven't personally used the styrofoam-concrete method but i have seen tanks combining this with driftwood accents that look really nice-give it a shot!

Hope this helps, cant wait to see this tank, should be awesome!
Thanks so much for the answers!

EDIT: oh and the reason I was considering the foam instead of PVC was so it can snake a little instead of a straight river

Last edited by Cnfessions; 06-23-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Anything I may have problems with? Any tips?

I am thinking of constructing the false bottom and the background before even taking down the cage. I have a spare 30 gallon tank to place the males in

Also, can someone give me the simplified, laymen termed version of dealing with the concrete and foam?

Last edited by Cnfessions; 06-23-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

So, if I am doing the egg crate false bottom, then do I still need those clay balls on tops of that?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Sorry, I have one more question.

If I build a barrier between the soil and the rocks for the pond, will that prevent the pond from draining into the egg crate?
What do I make that barrier from?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Haha it's me again lol

If you use eggcrate to raise the floor of your viv off the bottom of the tank than you do not need to use leca. I use it to hide my false bottom becaus I hate how it looks from the outside of the tank-but no you don't need both.

I think the best way to do a pond is to leave an area cut out of your eggcrate (ie. don't cut it to fit) and use somthing like cork or even eggcrate to as a retaining wall and keep your substrate out of the water.

Check out the blackjungle construction journals to use as guides-they helped me alot Elements of Vivarium Design

Good Luck!

Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken were a candy.