Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Hex Viv Build Thread! Lots of Pics!

OK so last night I typed this whole think picture and all and my computer crashed as I was pushing the post button! Uggh! So here I go again.

About a year ago i found a hex tank in someone garbage! Stand and all! It has one small leak so i fixed it I have finaly decided to make it a viv.

I started by cleaning it out with water and very little bleach. I hate bleach but since I don't know what was in the tank before I'd rather kill and germs and bacteria before putting my frogs in.

I made the false bottom high enough for a good amount of water on the bottom so I could put a pump in.

I decided that I wanted to make the background outside of the tank casue it just seemed so much easier! So I cut egg crate to fit. I decided to leave a gap in the back for water and pump access.

I posted to ask about building a background outside of the tank and someone told me to try doing it on pink foam (used for insulating things). I had blue foam in my garage which is the same thing.

I used toothpicks broke in half to hold the foan at the right angles to fit the tank snug.

After i decided to place the wood i wanted to use and take lots of pics when I found the perfect placement. I decided that I didnt want to GS any of the wood into the background. Instead I wanted a big wood center piece.

I marked everywhere I want to make the GS really thin or put none at all so that my drift wood would fit back in the tank how I wanted it.

I took everything out about GSed the seams. let it dry so it would hold the angles. Then I GSed the whole background a few house later. Let it fully cure then did the concrete binder method.

I let the paste mix on the background harden for a few hours then put the wood in. It was going to be pushing on the background pretty hard so I wanted the paste to mush aroud it instead of crack after it had fully hardend.
The who process has been slowly been done over the past week and a half and so far heres where I'm at.

The whole wood mess in the middle will also have water running down it from the top corner into the front where there will be a small pond.

Sorry for it being so long, I love when people post their steps. It's helped me a lot so I figured I'd do it too!
Sorry for the spelling!
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Hex Viv Build Thread! Lots of Pics!

We've been waiting for this one. It looks great so far. Keep us posted!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Awesome job! The wood is going to look great dripping with plants and frogs. What have you got in mind to go in the tank? It would make a great display for a group of imis or variabilis!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
TWI/ASN

i like the way you did the background!!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
Awesome job! The wood is going to look great dripping with plants and frogs. What have you got in mind to go in the tank? It would make a great display for a group of imis or variabilis!
Thanks! I'm not sure what i'm going to put in there yet... i was going to put my Azureus in it temporarily so i can take their tank apart and use the wood and plants thats in it for thrie new tank, 55g. That wont take long so i might put some ims or variabilis in there after. I odnt know much about them tho... like differences lol. But i'll look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
i like the way you did the background!!
Thanks again! lol. It was pretty easy!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
TWI/ASN

Sweet, glad the foam thing worked out for you. I have a 35 hex that I will be doing soon and was unsure about the background with the foam, looks like you didn't even blink an eye, nice job!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Benson View Post
Sweet, glad the foam thing worked out for you. I have a 35 hex that I will be doing soon and was unsure about the background with the foam, looks like you didn't even blink an eye, nice job!
It worked well... i still have to silicone the background to the tank. I think the foam it the perfect way of doing it!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about making my pond area. I've been looking threw people build thread but haven't found too much. I want to block it off so that you can't see the screen on the egg crate but i don't want it to be slate like i have it propped up in the pictures... Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Rybecky View Post

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about making my pond area. I've been looking threw people build thread but haven't found too much. I want to block it off so that you can't see the screen on the egg crate but i don't want it to be slate like i have it propped up in the pictures... Anyone have any ideas?
How about some gravel and river rocks piled up on the slanted egg crate?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:39 AM

An idea (that has worked for me):

Use the egg crate with #7 mesh mesh tied to the BOTTOM (fastened with fishing line or the like). This will leave little spaces for gravel and small rocks to catch in the grooves and makes a more slanted, sturdy bank. Mix up on the sizes of gravel and it will look more natural. A little great stuff with silicon and sand on it will also look nice here and there. Good luck and post pics when its done!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Your tank looks awesome so far and do post pics of the continuing progress. Take your time. You'll be glad you thought it through. Colleen
Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogsawaste View Post
How about some gravel and river rocks piled up on the slanted egg crate?
I forgot to mention that if you want the water to "flow" over this instead of just soaking down into the gravel you could tie screen down over the egg crate, a lot of silicone next, and press all the gravel into the silicone to make it stick.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
Thanks afterdark!!! now you've got me looking at imis and variabilis! AAAAH, lol. I can't choose! They are both so cool! and there are so many morphs! Whats everyone elses favorites?! any pics!?!

Quote:
I forgot to mention that if you want the water to "flow" over this instead of just soaking down into the gravel you could tie screen down over the egg crate, a lot of silicone next, and press all the gravel into the silicone to make it stick.
Good idea! I'm going to work on it tomorrow!!! i dont have work.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM

I ordered broms from "Jason DeSantis" AMAZING! i got them this after noon. All 15 of them are in my viv!

QUESTION!! Why is my water doing that?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 AM
TWI/ASN

Why is it what? Foggy? If you just got it running it should clear up in a little. Could also be some crap from the gravel or whatever else is in there if it wasn't rinsed enough. If it doesn't clear up in a day or so drain some water and add some new. Should take care of it.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM

I feel the panic, Deep breath and relax .... It will pass. Trust me I have been there. Its stirred up sediment, It may even start to bubble up. Let it run its course , some water changes and a bit of time ,, It will go away.

I even use a bit of duck weed in my new vivs, it will use up extra stuff in the water like a sponge.

Dan
0.1.0 D. Cit Tinctorius
0.1.0 Cat
2.0.0 Kids
Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 AM

Beautiful! Those broms really did a fabulous job complimenting that awesome wood that you've incorporated into your background/waterfall. Just make sure you post pics of the inhabitants once they arrive .
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 AM

I love the wood but the broms really make it. I'm sure the water'll clear up in a day or three.
Melissa
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

That's awesome, I love the pool that's created in the wood. That may even be useful for tad rearing if you're keeping a communally rearing species in there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone! I worked really hard and i'm so happy how it turned out! I'm going to the glass place and get a top for it next week.

Quote:
Why is it what? Foggy? If you just got it running it should clear up in a little. Could also be some crap from the gravel or whatever else is in there if it wasn't rinsed enough. If it doesn't clear up in a day or so drain some water and add some new. Should take care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledAgain View Post
I feel the panic, Deep breath and relax .... It will pass. Trust me I have been there. Its stirred up sediment, It may even start to bubble up. Let it run its course , some water changes and a bit of time ,, It will go away. I even use a bit of duck weed in my new vivs, it will use up extra stuff in the water like a sponge.
Dan
I figured... i cleaned the gravle like 3 times, lol. It makes so many bubbles! But i took the water out and added new... still a mess so i'm going to keep doing it once a day till it gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberly1 View Post
That's awesome, I love the pool that's created in the wood. That may even be useful for tad rearing if you're keeping a communally rearing species in there.
Thanks! it worked out really well. I'm really not sure what to put in there... i want something that i can put a bunch together. Its only a 35 gal (I think) but it has all that climbing space! Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Very nice job! Your water will clear up in no time. Continue with posting pictures after a few weeks. Colleen