Dendroboard banner

Best Glass Top for a 10 gallon Horizontal

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Yarak_Eric 
#1 ·
I've assembled almost everything needed at this point for my first viv construction. The only thing that I do not have (besides for plants and frogs for obvious reasons) is a glass top or hood or whatever it may be called for the Viv and a light. I was looking around on aquarium sites that have hinged lids etc. Should I just purchase something for an aquarium? Should I have a flat piece of glass made specifically for the purpose? If I do need to purchase one for the aquarium, i've noticed they are advertised in inch measurements not specifically for 10 gallons. What are the measurements of a regular basic Wal-Mart ten gallon?

Next question involves ventilation. Is it important to have some sort of ventilation or do the bromes and ferns and other plants provide enough oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange to make the living situation sustainable inside the viv?

Thanks in advance. If anyone has any links to the perfect inexpensive topper, I'd much appreciate it!

#4 ·
I've noticed that having some ventilation makes a viv much happier! I think Dane has some 10g horizontal with screening.

#5 ·
Most people either cut or have cut, a piece of glass to fit inside the top rim of the tank. Double strength or 1/8" thick glass should be fine. You'll need to measure the exact dimensions then subtract a little, say 1/8", so it fits easily. On my simple 10G setups, I cut a piece to fit, then cut it into two pieces with one ending about 7" long. Using your basic clear packing tape for a hinge, this shorter piece becomes the top door.
You can make a simple vent using window screen frames and mosquito netting. Use the DB search feature for more details.

#9 ·
Appreciate it. I contacted Dane from his website and via PM. I'm hoping we'll be able to work something out. I am using a non submersible air pump for a drip wall in the back that will be hopefully hidden behind some cork bark. I don't know if I would have to drill a bit in the lid or not, or whether it's just best for me to have my own built at a hardware store. I guess we'll see what everyone says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.