• 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM

Default Scoring glass

Hello, I would like to be able to add some passive ventilation by scoring my glass a bit shorter on my 36x18x36 exo Terra in hopes of clearing the front glass. Im curious if I would be able to score about 1 to 2 off of the glass top which is currently bout 35x17 to give a small gap making it about 35x15. I am wondering if cutting such a short amount of a large piece will work?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Scoring glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoli15 View Post
Hello, I would like to be able to add some passive ventilation by scoring my glass a bit shorter on my 36x18x36 exo Terra in hopes of clearing the front glass. Im curious if I would be able to score about 1 to 2 off of the glass top which is currently bout 35x17 to give a small gap making it about 35x15. I am wondering if cutting such a short amount of a large piece will work?

Thank you!

Just so I understand, you already have the top glass cut at 35"x17" , and you're thinking about cutting it too be 35x15" so you can have a ventilation strip?

I had to do this for my 18x18x24" tank, I told the glass shop the wrong size and didn't have room for a ventilation strip so I used my wet/tile saw to cut 2" off the one side so that the top was 15.5"x17.5" it wasn't the easiest thing or the smoothest cut but it did the job.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Just so I understand, you already have the top glass cut at 35"x17" , and you're thinking about cutting it too be 35x15" so you can have a ventilation strip?

I had to do this for my 18x18x24" tank, I told the glass shop the wrong size and didn't have room for a ventilation strip so I used my wet/tile saw to cut 2" off the one side so that the top was 15.5"x17.5" it wasn't the easiest thing or the smoothest cut but it did the job.

Yes, the glass is already cut and on top of the bib but I have the original exo Terra lid I modified to use over the tank till I cut the vents into place, if possible lol. Im hoping to not have the use a saw or anything since I dont have one.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, the glass is already cut and on top of the bib but I have the original exo Terra lid I modified to use over the tank till I cut the vents into place, if possible lol. Im hoping to not have the use a saw or anything since I dont have one.

Gotcha. Unfortunate I'm no help here, I've never cut glass except with a drill or a wet/tile saw
Old 06-06-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Gotcha. Unfortunate I'm no help here, I've never cut glass except with a drill or a wet/tile saw

Well thank you anyways!!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 PM

Using a handheld glass cutter is difficult on such a small piece. It would be easier to buy a larger piece and cut it down to the correct size. If you want to go this route it's not too expensive. But trying to only cut one inch off likely lead to cracking the whole lid.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Using a handheld glass cutter is difficult on such a small piece. It would be easier to buy a larger piece and cut it down to the correct size. If you want to go this route it's not too expensive. But trying to only cut one inch off likely lead to cracking the whole lid.

Thats what I was fearing that it would be to small to do such. Its not expensive its just a expense I dont wanna pay for lol, this glass top at the moment is the 2nd since the first didnt touch any of the sides . I might just go out to Lowes and re-cut some glass for the exo Terra lid, last time I got glass from Lowes they charged me a total of 2$ plus tax since they were scrap .

Old 06-07-2020, 12:46 PM

If you bought the glass at lowe's go back to the glass area there and tell the person you bought the glass there and want it cut to a different size and if it breaks you are not going to freak out. The lowe's stores around here will do that kinda stuff.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thats what I was fearing that it would be to small to do such. Its not expensive its just a expense I dont wanna pay for lol, this glass top at the moment is the 2nd since the first didnt touch any of the sides . I might just go out to Lowes and re-cut some glass for the exo Terra lid, last time I got glass from Lowes they charged me a total of 2$ plus tax since they were scrap .

Yeah definitely do that. I bought a Lowes Kobalt brand glass cutter and it was completely worthless. I then bought a 25 dollar glass cutter with an oil reservoir off of amazon and it worked great but its definitely a task that requires skill which you only gain from doing it. That combined with trying to cut only an inch off.. not worth it. It will be cheaper all around to buy the glass from lowes cut to the right size.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 PM

Sadly the glass lid was bought from a local glass store. When I first set this tank up I used the exo Terra lid and ripped out the mesh and replaced it with glass from Lowes.

Am I missing out on anything with passive ventilation other than possibly clearing the glass of condensation?

Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Sadly the glass lid was bought from a local glass store. When I first set this tank up I used the exo Terra lid and ripped out the mesh and replaced it with glass from Lowes.

Am I missing out on anything with passive ventilation other than possibly clearing the glass of condensation?

Yes, fresh air for the frogs and plants...
Socratic Monologue likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishingguy12345 For This Useful Post:
Bmoli15 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 02:17 AM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,345 Posts

Cutting even as little as one inch off of that piece is possible, but it's not particularly easy.
First you would want to make sure the surface you are cutting on is perfectly straight. Make sure your glass cutter has a good, sharp, wheel that won't skip.
Clean your glass where you will be scoring your line.
Oil your glass cutting wheel. Almost any oil will work. Oil will help prevent micro chipping when you score it. I'll explain that in a moment. Oil also drastically increases the lifespan of that nice, sharp cutting wheel. Even vegetable oil can be used in a pinch. I was on a job once, and my oil was back at home. Yup. Left it in the garage by some half built frog tanks. Necessity is the mother of invention. I ended up popping my hood, pulling my oil dipstick, and touching my glass cutter to the oil residue. It worked perfectly.

Score your glass in a single, smooth stroke. Do not apply too much pressure. Most people new to cutting put way too much pressure on it, thinking that will somehow "cut" further into the glass. What actually happens is that instead of that perfect, light, smooth and straight cut, you end up with a score line full of tiny chips all up and down your line.
Here's where the problem comes in. You can't actually cut glass. You simply break it. Scoring the glass first is an effort to give the break somewhere to go. You hope it follows the line. If your line is filled with tiny chips, each one of those chips is in opportunity for your break to follow a chip instead of the line. That is why deep score lines work against you every single time. Light and smooth is what you want.

Finally, you need to snap the edge off. Most people are not going to have a pair of running pliers lying around. Plus, running pliers take a bit to get the knack of. You want a perfectly straight and true edge to snap it off. Let's say your kitchen table is perfectly straight and true. Set the bulk of the glass on the table. The two inches you are snapping off, should be hanging over the edge. The score line should be perfectly lined up with the table. The scored surface should be up, not down. LEATHER GLOVES! If they aren't already on, get em on now. Hold the bulk of the glass flat with one hand. Grasp the edge you are snapping off, with your other hand, near where the score line starts. Remember, you aren't bending it. Slow and steady does not win the race this time. Quickly and cleanly, snap it off downwards, using the palm of your gloved hand.

I have even cleanly cut a 1/4" strip off of a piece of glass. Anybody building a vivarium with the Sherman Vent system has had to score and snap a few 1 inch strips to complete the build. There are also a number of 1" by 1" squares involved in building a Sherman. I always did all those tiny squares using a hand held cutter.

What do you think, guys? Should I tell him I'm a professional and that the bill is on the way?
Ravage likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
minorhero (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 02:23 AM

Without ventilation your humidity tends to skyrocket up into the 90% range and higher. Overly high humidity levels exponentially increase your frog's risk of succumbing to a respiratory, and/or skin, bacterial infection.

Most froggers who have had a vivarium that was properly ventilated, tend to never put frogs in a sealed glass box, ever again. Once you roll that window down, you will see so many benefits you will never want to roll it up again.
fishingguy12345 likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Cutting even as little as one inch off of that piece is possible, but it's not particularly easy.
First you would want to make sure the surface you are cutting on is perfectly straight. Make sure your glass cutter has a good, sharp, wheel that won't skip.
Oil your glass cutting wheel. Almost any oil will work. Oil will help prevent micro chipping when you score it. I'll explain that in a moment. Oil also drastically increases the lifespan of that nice, sharp cutting wheel. Even vegetable oil can be used in a pinch. I was on a job once, and my oil was back at home. Yup. Left it in the garage by some half built frog tanks. Necessity is the mother of invention. I ended up popping my hood, pulling my oil dipstick, and touching my glass cutter to the oil residue. It worked perfectly.

Score your glass in a single, smooth stroke. Do not apply too much pressure. Most people new to cutting put way too much pressure on it, thinking that will somehow "cut" further into the glass. What actually happens is that instead of that perfect, light, smooth and straight cut, you end up with a score line full of tiny chips all up and down your line.
Here's where the problem comes in. You can't actually cut glass. You simply break it. Scoring the glass first is an effort to give the break somewhere to go. You hope it follows the line. If your line is filled with tiny chips, each one of those chips is in opportunity for your break to follow a chip instead of the line. That is why deep score lines work against you every single time. Light and smooth is what you want.

Finally, you need to snap the edge off. Most people are not going to have a pair of running pliers lying around. Plus, running pliers take a bit to get the knack of. You want a perfectly straight and true edge to snap it off. Let's say your kitchen table is perfectly straight and true. Set the bulk of the glass on the table. The two inches you are snapping off, should be hanging over the edge. The score line should be perfectly lined up with the table. The scored surface should be up, not down. LEATHER GLOVES! If they aren't already on, get em on now. Hold the bulk of the glass flat with one hand. Grasp the edge you are snapping off, with your other hand, near where the score line starts. Remember, you aren't bending it. Slow and steady does not win the race this time. Quickly and cleanly, snap it off downwards, using the palm of your gloved hand.

I have even cleanly cut a 1/4" strip off of a piece of glass. Anybody building a vivarium with the Sherman Vent system has had to score and snap a few 1 inch strips to complete the build. There are also a number of 1" by 1" squares involved in building a Sherman. I always did all those tiny squares using a hand held cutter.

What do you think, guys? Should I tell him I'm a professional and that the bill is on the way?

I love your tutorials! You helped me with the live hinge as well and that went terrific so why not trust you again! Quick question tho, since the glass is quite long (about 36) should I be concerned when trying to snap the glass, maybe have someone hold the piece on the table and then snap the glass with both of my hands? Heck maybe Ill shoot you that cash app and you come do it for me lol.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:

There are some tidbits in here that I really wish I knew before cutting my glass for the frog cube.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I love your tutorials! You helped me with the live hinge as well and that went terrific so why not trust you again! Quick question tho, since the glass is quite long (about 36) should I be concerned when trying to snap the glass, maybe have someone hold the piece on the table and then snap the glass with both of my hands? Heck maybe Ill shoot you that cash app and you come do it for me lol.

It wouldn't hurt, but it isn't really necessary. I was going to try and send you a picture of where and how to grasp it and snap it off, but I cannot figure out how to reply to any thread, from my phone. There is simply no Reply "button".
Old 06-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
...but I cannot figure out how to reply to any thread, from my phone. There is simply no Reply "button".
If you're using the mobile website (not the app, but maybe it's the same. Idk, I don't use it) there should be a circle with a plus up at the top of the screen, that's the reply button. It's weird.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:21 PM

The cardboard is representing the glass. The black line represents the score line you have made on the glass. See how it is lined up as perfectly as possible with the edge of our table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200609_143906_1591741056593.jpg (26.3 KB, 6 views)
Encyclia likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 PM

I can't take the picture if I'm using both my hands on the glass. The hand outline shows where I would place my stabilizing hand. Note how it's closer to the edge of the glass than it is to the center of the glass. See where I grasp the glass with my right hand. Again, it is closer to the beginning of the score line, than it is to the center. This is because the glass is not going to snap like a graham cracker, where the whole waste piece would just come off at once. Glass breaks from the outside edge, and works it's way from there. If you film a piece of glass being snapped off, and watch it in slow motion, it's pretty cool. You see your crack start from the edge, right behind my right hand. Then you would see it slowly continue down the score line, moving away from you, looking just like a zipper. The moment it reaches the end, it snaps free. If your chosen table is not perfectly flat, it changes the surface tension of the glass. It changes it so much that the crack would rather go off and find its own path, than to follow the score line. When that happens, the crack generally looks like a large, sweeping curve, going far beyond where it was supposed to, and ruining the good piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200609_144138_1591741355407.jpg (27.8 KB, 5 views)
Encyclia likes this.

Last edited by Pumilo; 06-09-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-12-2020, 05:09 PM

Everything Doug said is correct. It can be hard to visualize. I made a YouTube video awhile back on cutting glass strips; Here it is:

A GOOD Glass Cutter is a MUST
Sorry, I missed this post until today.

Last edited by Ravage; 06-12-2020 at 05:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravage For This Useful Post:
Encyclia (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Ravage knows all about "scoring glass".
Didn't you "score" a couple massive pieces of glass from me when I shut down my glass company? I'm remembering a couple of massive insulated units with one side clear, and the other, lowE coated.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:13 PM

Nice video. If anybody is wondering about not seeing Ravage oil his cutting wheel, he is using a self oiling cutter, with an internal reservoir. Looks a lot like the model I used to use.
Good video, but you forgot a leather gloves warning, for inexperienced people possibly making their first cut.
Looks like you were working on building a Sherman Vent?