facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pubfiction
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By Pubfiction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 01:39 AM

Default Zoo Med t5s??? Questions and help

Hello all. Working on a new viv here, I got what is about a 25 gallon bow front aquarium from an old friend for free. Its a pretty nice tank, glass and all with a plastic hood. It fits nicely in a spot that I like and so I've decided to turn it into a build for two highland bronze Dendrobates Auratus I picked up recently. I've built a screen to so the whole thing is sealed in but I've come here because I'm having issues with the lighting on it. The tank has a hood with two 12 inch t5 fixtures on it. after a bit of cleanup and new bulbs the fixture works fine on both sides, i had planned to put a t5 grow light in one and a uvb in the other but it seems that the zoo med 5.0 bulb i purchased wont seem to kick in on the fixture. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this. I know that the fixture works fine with any other bulb I put into it. But the zoo med bulb blinks as if the starter isn't firing it properly. Do zoo med bulbs need a special starter? I know I've used their t5s in other fixtures before and the bulb fires in a 12 inch Exo Terra fixture so i know the bulb is good. Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Zoo Med t5s??? Questions and help

The starters always start failing on 'complete kit' units. Always. Double fixtures having the shorted lifespans of all.

You cant blame any bulb unless you have a control fixture to test the bulbs in - all of them.

The T5 you find stuttering may work in another fluorescent fixture. The stock bulbs coming on non-withstanding.

Flo lights also are not always impeccably uniform in manufacture - same make one tube, will often contact better than another same exact model. But I dont think thats what it is. Since the hood has some time on it - pretty sure starter giving out. As they almost always do. You can check for corrosion but its usually the starter.

If you see a grey area on the end of the tube stop testing immediately or you will snuff out the bulb with the irregular surge. And they aint cheap.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:50 PM

Yeah I swapped the starters on them to no avail. The fixture is pretty old though and there's a decent amount of stuttering before any bulb I test it in kicks on. So I'm gonna take a shot at swapping out the ballasts and see if that changes anything. And beyond that might just pick up a fixture and trash the hood. kinda liked it though.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 PM

What you may lose in the fitted stock hood you gain in more custom freedom.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:50 AM

Well it seems I figured out the issue and I figure I'll post it on here may it help someone else with a similar problem. Tube lights use ballasts, ballasts have varying wattage's and capability but on older or smaller lighting fixtures the ballasts are often a particularly small wattage. Your standard 12 inch t5 is apparently 8 watts, However, a 12 inch zoo med uvb t5 is 22 watts. In other words, the ballast was too small of a wattage to sustain power to the uvb bulb. So a trip to the lighting department at ace and a 22 watt ballast later we have a working fixture. I appreciate the help though guys, Thanks all.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:08 AM

I think you are looking at the difference between T5 and T5 high output. It's not really about old and new, its about a different product. I am actually surprised no one mentioned it the guys here must be getting a little long in the tooth hehe, if they are already forgetting about fluorescent fixtures.
TarantulaGuy likes this.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 05-25-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
I think you are looking at the difference between T5 and T5 high output. It's not really about old and new, its about a different product. I am actually surprised no one mentioned it the guys here must be getting a little long in the tooth hehe, if they are already forgetting about fluorescent fixtures.
I actually miss the T12s and would prefer them in many situations if they were still around.

The T8s I have in use currently, 18 " tubes and 24" tubes are in ugly white boxy hardware fixtures but they turn on like a charm.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
With so many cooler, and less expensive options available to us in LED lighting, I don't think it's such a bad thing to forget about fluorescents ;-)

Mark
fishingguy12345 likes this.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:17 PM

You cant really make an actual Daytime with them though.

I would never want for the manufacture of uv lamps to be discontinued.

They are also priceless for neo husbandry and corrective husbandry situations. If you have a tiny gecko with a broken pelvis or a baby exanthematicus with a soft skeleton might as well euthanize it if you think its going to resolve with oral supplementation alone.

A satanic leaf tail gecko with a broken pelvis. A hospital cage of carefully placed repose support and UVB contact, fairly close range.

I know, but it worked.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM

The T12s were useful, especially when doubled up, for the heat the generated by them which was significant enough to be used alone without a day time spot for some taxa.

This was especially useful for european tortoises, arboreal agamids and for diurnal snakes in large environments as well. Green snakes, garters, pits. I arranged env to allow them to get as close as they chose.

They definitely had a nice in between slot in env temp type use.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 AM

I like T5HO's for UVB, and like KMC said especially for species that don't need a mercury vapor or metal halide bulb. I remember reading about 10 years back that their was work being done on LED's that produced UVB. Still waiting........
Old 06-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Yeah, my comment was in the context that this is mostly a dart frog board. I am sure that for animals that need UVB, fluorescents still play an important role.

Mark
Old 06-01-2020, 06:21 PM

LEDs already produce UVB afaik, the problem is thier cost. I think I looked into a couple years ago and got a quote for $210 for a single bare diode. But maybe its worth taking a look again and see how much prices have come down.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM

LEDs already produce UVB afaik, the problem is thier cost. I think I looked into a couple years ago and got a quote for $210 for a single bare diode. But maybe its worth taking a look again and see how much prices have come down.