No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 AM

Default Schluter Kerdi-board

Has anyone used this in their vivs? I'm wanting to expand upwards with a couple vivs I've built but it's impossible to find pvc panels around here. I happened to see this at a tile store and it seems like it should work. It's fairly rigid, it's made from extruded polystyrene foam. It's made for tile so it's waterproof. My plan was to use glass on either end and the doors and use this or pvc panels, if I can find them, for the back wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200520_161721_1590022999203.jpg (35.4 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Schluter Kerdi-board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsequiteur View Post
Has anyone used this in their vivs? I'm wanting to expand upwards with a couple vivs I've built but it's impossible to find pvc panels around here. I happened to see this at a tile store and it seems like it should work. It's fairly rigid, it's made from extruded polystyrene foam. It's made for tile so it's waterproof. My plan was to use glass on either end and the doors and use this or pvc panels, if I can find them, for the back wall.
I don't know anything about that product. But if you are looking for only a back panel (and thus do not care if it is opaque or weird looking) you could just get 2 pieces of 1/8th inch glass cut to size and then laminate them together with silicone. Your local lowes or homedepot (assuming you live in the USA) will have this glass in stock and some (most?) will cut to it to size for you.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:48 AM

Do they generally have 36x18? I've glanced there but never really paid attention because the thickness was only 3/32 for everything.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 AM

Well, if you want glass, I think everyone has a glass shop within reach (if your town has a tile store, it likely has a glass shop or six). If not, these folks have worked well for me:

onedayglass.com

Sheet PVC can be shipped, too; US Plastic, even Amazon has some selection.

- Whitman
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Do they generally have 36x18? I've glanced there but never really paid attention because the thickness was only 3/32 for everything.
1/8th is also available in 24x36 sheets. This is what I assumed you would use to double layer.

Socratic Monologue is of course right, glass cutters are everywhere and 1/4" glass is pretty common stuff. Probably cheaper to buy 2 sheets from Lowes and silicone them together but probably not by much....
Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
1/8th is also available in 24x36 sheets. This is what I assumed you would use to double layer.

Socratic Monologue is of course right, glass cutters are everywhere and 1/4" glass is pretty common stuff. Probably cheaper to buy 2 sheets from Lowes and silicone them together but probably not by much....
Especially when you figure in the learning curve for cutting glass :-) If you go the cutting route, I would recommend trying to pick up a couple of pieces of scrap glass to practice on. Or...maybe I am just really bad at it!

Mark
Old 05-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Especially when you figure in the learning curve for cutting glass :-) If you go the cutting route, I would recommend trying to pick up a couple of pieces of scrap glass to practice on. Or...maybe I am just really bad at it!

Mark
I learned from doing the frog cube conversion that buying the right tool is crazy important. The cheapy tool they sell at lowes is basically worthless. You need one with an oil resevoir. Anyway I would recommend not cutting it yourself if planning to save money. Don't buy it unless your hardware store will cut it for you.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:18 PM

Hmm theres something fetching about that board, so inert and in easy form.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 PM

I priced out glass for the sides and door at one place and they were asking $73 so not too bad, I'll have to find out what they want for the back panel as well. Part of why I was looking at pvc panel or this was to save on weight and to make a background slightly easier. I figure attachment with the pvc panel would be pretty cake if you screw wood to the panel or glue cork to it. I don't know, I'm still considering what route I want to take. I built an 18x18x36 and regret not going taller because it looks awesome, but I'd like some more vertical room for growth. Definitely don't want to tear it apart though.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I priced out glass for the sides and door at one place and they were asking $73 so not too bad, I'll have to find out what they want for the back panel as well. Part of why I was looking at pvc panel or this was to save on weight and to make a background slightly easier. I figure attachment with the pvc panel would be pretty cake if you screw wood to the panel or glue cork to it. I don't know, I'm still considering what route I want to take. I built an 18x18x36 and regret not going taller because it looks awesome, but I'd like some more vertical room for growth. Definitely don't want to tear it apart though.
One thing to keep in mind is that the taller you go the less light reaches the bottom if you have plants in the substrate, that will matter. Light follows the inverse square law which is a real pain to deal with. If you say increase the height to 3 feet tall (arbitrary number on my part) you are going to need to pay a lot more for good lighting. I would be hesitant to go over 30 inches tall if you are trying to save money.. or just give up on planting in substrate and then it doesn't matter, epiphytes can be planted closer to the light on background/rocks/wood.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:56 AM

That is something I'll have to seriously consider as well. Thanks for your input everyone.