Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hydrophyte

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 05:19 AM

Default Mold help

I have some sort of mold growing on the side of piece of driftwood that is fomed higher in the background where springtails can't really get too. It's only
on a certain piece of wood, the other pieces (same humidity, temperature right next to it) do no. I've searched the forum first to see if other people have had a similar problem and some people say to use H2O2. Is this a solution? Do I have to rip out this piece of wood from my tank? How can I stop the growing without having to do so? Any help is appreciated.

Here is the link for the pic, it's on the piece of wood directly in the center of the pic. On a side note, do most people pay for a basic subscription to photobucket? Anything free and easier?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xD...od5Sw-wD0Gnrr4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 07:24 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Mold help

Spray it with H2O2. It will burn up the mold and in a few minutes there will be nothing left but oxygen and water.
Kmc likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 AM

I had this issue recently with a piece of wood in a tank. I simply chucked loads of springtails at it when the lights were off, did this a couple of nights, problem was solved in less that a week. If the wood if starting to actually decompose, then you will have to remove it...

Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Try mixing cinnamon (spice from kitchen) with water and brushing it in with a toothbrush, that's what I did on mine and it worked.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM

H202 will eliminate the mold expediently without mess or residuals.

If animals present, cut a small section of a rough dish sponge that fits in the grip of your fingers and dampen it in h202 without a drip, and rub the area clear.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM

Greetings,

That area is actually accessible to your springtails (they almost certainly visit at night) - so unless you have an immediate need for it to be mold-free you could just let it cycle naturally and the mold will likely decline on its own. The surface of that piece of wood has an excess of nutrients the mold is exploiting. If you let it remain, the mold will consume it, turn it into springtail and isopod food, and then disappear.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 PM

Sometimes an adjustment of lighting direction can discourage mold. Mold types cant be identified by normal looking as many look exactly the same without magnification. Some molds are favored as foodstuff while others have deterrent features. The array of mold life is staggering.

Because of lack of data of mycotoxins in closed systems with small animals a reasonable choice is when in doubt, get it out.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:21 AM

So right now there aren't any frogs in the tank as I want all the plants to fully root, establish, and create some shade first. Just the isopods and springtails are in. I might just wait a couple days and see if they linger in the moldy area and if not I'll put some H2O2 on it. I hope the H2)2 will completely rid of it if it gets to that, because I don't want to have to keep removing mold but even more so I don't want to have to rip out a piece of my background

Tags
mold, mold?