Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 03:08 AM

Default Waterfall pump question

Im trying to figure out what size pump ill need for a waterfall in a larger enclosure. Its a zoomed 36x18x36. I have not done a waterfall before so this is new territory. From floor to top the waterfall will be at about 30 inches. Its not for frogs, but so far I haven't been able to find the information elsewhere. However a lot of different questions I've had, I have been able to find the answer for on this forum so I thought I would ask this one here. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Waterfall pump question

Just make sure you check the "lift height" its listed on most fountain/waterfall pumps. most recently I tried a adjustable 210 gph vivosun it's rated for a 3-1/2 foot lift. I only pump up about 20" and I have to keep it on the lowest setting. I have absolutely no clue about the brands durability but have been running mine for almost 2 months problem free for like $14
Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 AM

I looked for that and didnt see anything about lift one the ones i was looking at. Im assuming im looking at the wrong ones then. Ugh. Ill dig some more then thank you.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:31 AM

Check amazon. There are a lot of options.

Searches for 210 gph pump will turn up quite a bit. If you find your pump is too powerful you can plumb in a ball valve to turn the flow down (or partially block the exit). The pumps are magnetic as opposed to geared so using a ball valve doesn't damage the pump.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,317 Posts

I spent years farming live coral, which gave me the opportunity to try many different pumps and powerheads over the years.
One brand of powerhead / pump clearly stood above the rest. You never have to "knock" them, to get them to start again after power is interrupted. They are reliable, quiet, and they last for years. They've been very popular for 20 plus years. I've had a few last around 10 years!
I would be referring to the Maxi-Jet series of powerheads. Specifically, the Maxi-Jet 1200. It moves 295 gallons per hour, and is capable of a 6 foot head height. Of course, every pump ever made loses flow rate as you increase the head height, so the MJ 1200 would be down to a very slow rate at her full 6 feet.
Aquarium Systems was the original distributor, but it would appear they no longer have an exclusive on Maxi Jets. It would also appear that there are now many cheap knock-offs on the market. I don't know how the cheap ones would hold up.
I would stick with either the Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200, or, the Cobalt MJ 1200. The Cobalt is the exact same Italian made pump as the original.

I don't do waterfalls myself, but if I did, there is no doubt in my mind as to which pump I would start with.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Awesome thank you both!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
I would be referring to the Maxi-Jet series of powerheads. Specifically, the Maxi-Jet 1200. It moves 295 gallons per hour, and is capable of a 6 foot head height. Of course, every pump ever made loses flow rate as you increase the head height, so the MJ 1200 would be down to a very slow rate at her full 6 feet.
Aquarium Systems was the original distributor, but it would appear they no longer have an exclusive on Maxi Jets. It would also appear that there are now many cheap knock-offs on the market. I don't know how the cheap ones would hold up.
I would stick with either the Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200, or, the Cobalt MJ 1200. The Cobalt is the exact same Italian made pump as the original.
The Maxi Jets are now made in China (they were originally made in Italy) and are now noisy and prone to premature wear failure (volute threads, impeller chamber). The Cobalt MJ versions were wonderful, but are now out of production and have been for at least several months, and are no longer available anywhere.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
The Maxi Jets are now made in China (they were originally made in Italy) and are now noisy and prone to premature wear failure (volute threads, impeller chamber). The Cobalt MJ versions were wonderful, but are now out of production and have been for at least several months, and are no longer available anywhere.
That sucks.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
That sucks.
I agree.

- Whitman
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 PM

They were an icon in the industry.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 AM

Well good thing i couldn't find one in stock then lol. I don’t remember the brand but i got one off of Josh's frogs. If anything it’ll get me started and ill make sure theres enough room to replace it if i need to.