No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Austindg13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Silicone + tree fern fiber

Doing a tree fern fiber background on top of s1 silicone. I know Iíve had issues in the past growing plants on s2 silicone, but has anyone had any issues growing plants like marcgravia or oak leaf fig on a silicone and substrate background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default Re: Silicone + tree fern fiber

Loose tree fern pressed into a thick coat of silicone, is one of my favorite build tools. I assume you mean GE silicone 1? I've used a lot of that in many builds. I've planted a lot of exotic plants in GE 1 and not had any problems. I am aware of the problems with GE 2 and have spoken about that more than a little, in the past.

It's hard to get perfect coverage with clear silicone. It's difficult to find GE 1 in colors. Plus, as a retired window glazier, I've used hundreds (at the least) of tubes of silicone. Some are a pleasure to work with. Others are thicker and I don't care for that. I like it easy to work with, in addition to having the proper curing agent. The curing agent is what differentiates GE 1 from GE 2.
Anyway, my favorite silicone is C. R. Laurence 33s. I've often called it the Cadillac of silicones. You may have to go online to find it. It's available in many colors. My favorite color for a substrate background, is Bronze. You will find it is actually brown, but as it is specifically made for the window industry, they use glass industry color names. Brown blends in beautifully and hides bare spots. Black would be my second choice.
Encyclia, Ravage and oS3R0o like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Loose tree fern pressed into a thick coat of silicone, is one of my favorite build tools. I assume you mean GE silicone 1? I've used a lot of that in many builds. I've planted a lot of exotic plants in GE 1 and not had any problems. I am aware of the problems with GE 2 and have spoken about that more than a little, in the past.

It's hard to get perfect coverage with clear silicone. It's difficult to find GE 1 in colors. Plus, as a retired window glazier, I've used hundreds (at the least) of tubes of silicone. Some are a pleasure to work with. Others are thicker and I don't care for that. I like it easy to work with, in addition to having the proper curing agent. The curing agent is what differentiates GE 1 from GE 2.
Anyway, my favorite silicone is C. R. Laurence 33s. I've often called it the Cadillac of silicones. You may have to go online to find it. It's available in many colors. My favorite color for a substrate background, is Bronze. You will find it is actually brown, but as it is specifically made for the window industry, they use glass industry color names. Brown blends in beautifully and hides bare spots. Black would be my second choice.

Good to know. Iíve tried to warn people about s2 but seems like people still want to use it. When I used that on my very first build the plant roots would fry and the plant would end up dying. Glad to hear that GE S1 doesnít have the same affect.

Iíll have to look that up for the next build. This one is already one side away from being complete. Thanks.

Encyclia likes this.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austindg13 View Post
Good to know. Iíve tried to warn people about s2 but seems like people still want to use it. When I used that on my very first build the plant roots would fry and the plant would end up dying. Glad to hear that GE S1 doesnít have the same affect.

Iíll have to look that up for the next build. This one is already one side away from being complete. Thanks.

That's actually just a minor inconvenience compared to the damage potential to future generations of frogs. GE silicone 2 is all around, a poor choice for vivariums. (added for other's benefit. Obviously you get it)
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...-bio-seal.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
Organics (03-25-2020)