Setup with RaspberryPI - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cawdeen

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Setup with RaspberryPI

I am in the process of setting up a vivarium, and I am placing the chips all-in so to speak.

I am going with the extra tall large exoterra, mistaking misting system, and yet to be determined lighting.

My question to you fellow members is:

What I would love to do is automate the system from front to end, and one such way that comes to mind is the use of a RasperryPi. I am curious, has anyone performed or achieved this level of automation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 03:07 PM
jeffkruse's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

I have not done this but have given serious consideration to do so. What all timers I have used do is a 24 hour cycle. I want something that changes monthly if not daily to mimic the sun/weather.

I envision a simple text table that can be modified easily. The rows would represent a year. You could have from 1 to 365 rows. I think 12 rows representing months would work well.

Then each column would be the parameters you want set:
Sunrise, Sunset, intensity, Day temp, night temp, "rain", wind, Moon rise, Moon set, sounds,...

The key is that it will automatically increasing the daylight and intensity and temperature, and rain/humidity to mimic nature.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkruse View Post
I have not done this but have given serious consideration to do so. What all timers I have used do is a 24 hour cycle. I want something that changes monthly if not daily to mimic the sun/weather.



I envision a simple text table that can be modified easily. The rows would represent a year. You could have from 1 to 365 rows. I think 12 rows representing months would work well.



Then each column would be the parameters you want set:

Sunrise, Sunset, intensity, Day temp, night temp, "rain", wind, Moon rise, Moon set, sounds,...



The key is that it will automatically increasing the daylight and intensity and temperature, and rain/humidity to mimic nature.


Jeff,

You are spot on. I am willing to add other things like heating pads under the tank, change up misting to be heavier during certain times, etc. I know that there are some controllers/drivers for the lights that can be programmed, but it looks like they are not real time interfaces, meaning they can be connected to a computer to be programmed and then disconnected from the computer to be put back into production.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

Iím in the process of writing this application in Java to do just that. It currently will run on Raspberry Pi but setting up the pi to get the user interface to run takes a little bit of time. Itís bare bones right now as far as features but behind the scenes Iím working on some formulas for building gradual daily changes with some randomization thrown in. Iím pouring my efforts into the software side of things for now and Iíll start thinking about hardware compatibility later.

Maybe in a couple months Iíll have it ready for people to use.

Hereís a little sample of creating, deleting, and editing seasons and climates.
https://youtu.be/G5l72NcEsMo
Ravage likes this.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cawdeen For This Useful Post:
jeffkruse (03-04-2020)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 04:18 PM
jeffkruse's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

I'm using the TC420 for my lights and fans. It does the same thing every day.

Controlling the lights should be straight forward. PWM 12VDC or 24VDC. Sunrise and sunset time is easy but ramping up to full intensity then ramping down might take some kind of formula.

After that I think I would tackle controlling the temperature. A temp sensor would need to be identified. Then writing a sw routine to control the temp. What kind of deadbanding or hysteresis would you use. User defined would be nice. But what kind of heater? Would you use a 120VAC relay to control those reptile heat cables or heat pads? I'm also using a 24VDC heat cable that I put in my sump.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 04:21 PM
jeffkruse's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawdeen View Post
Iím in the process of writing this application in Java to do just that. It currently will run on Raspberry Pi but setting up the pi to get the user interface to run takes a little bit of time. Itís bare bones right now as far as features but behind the scenes Iím working on some formulas for building gradual daily changes with some randomization thrown in. Iím pouring my efforts into the software side of things for now and Iíll start thinking about hardware compatibility later.

Maybe in a couple months Iíll have it ready for people to use.

Hereís a little sample of creating, deleting, and editing seasons and climates.
https://youtu.be/G5l72NcEsMo
That looks great!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Setup with RaspberryPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkruse View Post
I'm using the TC420 for my lights and fans. It does the same thing every day.



Controlling the lights should be straight forward. PWM 12VDC or 24VDC. Sunrise and sunset time is easy but ramping up to full intensity then ramping down might take some kind of formula.



After that I think I would tackle controlling the temperature. A temp sensor would need to be identified. Then writing a sw routine to control the temp. What kind of deadbanding or hysteresis would you use. User defined would be nice. But what kind of heater? Would you use a 120VAC relay to control those reptile heat cables or heat pads? I'm also using a 24VDC heat cable that I put in my sump.


For the software side of the ramping I wrote a C# script a while back to convert the time of day to an equivalent light intensity and kelvin temperature as RGB color values. Since I didnít have hardware at the time I tested it in the unity game engine and it seems to simulate a nice sunrise/sunset and gradual intensity of light throughout the day. I just need to rewrite it in Java in this program which Iíll tackle soon.

Are you using homemade lights with the TC420? The hardware of the light controlling is an area I havenít done a ton of research in yet and not sure what commercial products can be controlled via pwm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Encyclia's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,200
Thanks: 151
Thanked 243 Times in 229 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

This stuff is all completely over my head, but there are quite a few threads involving Raspberry Pi (and Arduino?) for this purpose. No idea if the following are of use for what you guys are talking about or not:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...n-systems.html

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...viv-v-2-a.html

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Arduino seems like a better fit than pi as it will be repeated tasks. Micro controller vs microprocessor.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

They both contain microprocessors and have pin in/out but the Arduino is simpler and a little quicker to get started. The Pi has all that the arduino does but includes the OS and some graphics capabilities similar to a desktop pc.

My first automation was done with arduino and is still working but itís very limited. Its nothing more than humidity and temp sensors controlling relay switches that turn either a fan or humidifier on and off. The problem is thereís no user interface and itís not user friendly. You have to take out the board, open the project in an IDE and manually change values in the code to change temp and humidity values. Thereís also no seasonal variation which would be nice.

Iím with you guys. It would be amazing to get a tank set up with full seasonal fluctuations and natural acting weather cycles.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2020, 07:51 PM
jeffkruse's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

The lights I have are all Spectral Designs. Electrically speaking they are as simple as you can get. Just LED strips configured for 12VDC. Because they are simple any 12VDC Pulse Width Modulated signal will drive them.

Each lid for a 18x18 tank draws less than 45W at 12VDC. So that's less than 3.75Amps. I don't have any spot lights, just strip LED's.

Any simple lighting cover that uses 12VDC should be able to be controlled by any of the PWM modules commonly used with the pi or aurduino.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:30 AM
kblack3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 318
Thanks: 25
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI

I am no programmer but I do use this light controller. It uses real time data. It is quite fantastic.


https://aquarium-led-controller.com/...ish-mini-gen2/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
American Dad Living the American Dream
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:32 AM
kblack3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 318
Thanks: 25
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Setup with RaspberryPI







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
American Dad Living the American Dream
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.