Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2020, 01:58 AM

Default Foam background- no peat?

Was wondering if anyone did the great stuff foam background but didnít add the silicone and peat? Can you leave it bare? Is it added for aesthetics or for increased humidity? Eventually plants will cover it and hide the foam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 05:56 AM

There’s probably easier ways to accomplish that foliage wall look than using expanding foam.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Foam background- no peat?

Quote:
Thereís probably easier ways to accomplish that foliage wall look than using expanding foam.
Indeed, indeed.

Quote:
Is it added for aesthetics or for increased humidity?
Well this is exactly the question; better yet, generalize to a simple "why?"

My response, my "why", is a lot of both (form and function). I've got a number of purchased glass vivs plus a roughly equal number of DIY plywood vivs. Either way, a bare back & sides is dry as hell and fairly fucken fugly (3-F in my shorthand). So I have to hide them under something.

That said, you'll understand why I'm not a huge fan of a lot of foam. Foam can be made to look smashing, but it's also dry as hell unless vigorous countermeasures are taken. Some of those are laborious, some are also 3-F, and most don't do all that much about RH buffering. Accordingly, nowadays I'm mostly just doing a simple cracked-cork mosaic with some branches criss-crossing through the "dead air" for lots of animal perching and a little plant mounting. In some more elaborate, and especially larger builds, I will do a few flat-backed, silicone-on "rocks" in foam, that I mount on the back and maybe sides for animal-perching and xeric-planting shelves. I fill between, above, below, whatever these "rocks" with the cork mosaic.

But full-on, wall-to-wall foam backgrounds any more? Not me, brother / sister. Not worth the effort, in either looks or performance.

Happy crafting!
Encyclia and hannamaxgracie like this.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:48 PM

There is black foam often called pond foam that you can use instead and it will at least not be that awful yellow color.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Here's a cheap easy alternative I use. It doesn't exactly look "natural", but plants will root into it and it's super easy and cheap.

One caveat: It doesn't provide any 3D dimension, so by default there is less usable frog space and security. Make sure you use some larger leaved vines, bromeliads, or wood pieces to maximize frogabilty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Broseph For This Useful Post:
hannamaxgracie (03-06-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 08:22 PM

Try coco liners or hemp. Coco liners have always worked for me on many different projects and good for rooting. Bamboo planks work great in moist environments. One of my favorites was a build I did with the green sushi rollers used as a background.