No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Woodswalker
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2020, 12:36 AM

Default Egg Crate Explanation?

So im thinking of creating a build come spring time and I would like to create an egg crate false bottom. This build will be a paludarium so i guess my question is what are the differences between the egg crate bottom and Clay pebble bottom. I know the egg crate is lighter and probably cheaper but other than that does it serve any beneficial purposes?. Also i guess just for my own piece of mind why is it important to cut slits in the pvc pipes i never understood that part. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Egg Crate Explanation?

Well, the egg crate false bottom can be siliconed in place to keep it from shifting, which can't be done with leca (clay balls). While it won't be an indestructible bond, it adds a little security in the event that you ever need to move the tank.

The reason we cut slits in the PVC risers is to prevent water from getting trapped in them which would get more and more stagnant over time. Without the slits, that water can't easily be siphoned out, and if the silicone seal holding the PVC to the glass bottom is good, that eventually leads to a water column in each piece of PVC eventually touching the substrate. Super stagnant water constantly touching spots of the substrate would inevitably lead to rot.
Encyclia and J_w35 like this.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:52 PM

Ah gotcha that makes sense.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:43 PM

With the clay balls, you can - if you want - cut a piece of window screen to fit on top. If you size it so there's maybe 3/4" or so of "extra" on all 4 sides, that "extra" allows you to silicone it in place. Anything that can't fit through the mesh, can't get into the clay balls. Obviously, this works better with a bulkhead than with a suck-up-and-out "drain".

Even lighter than the clay balls, is Growstone. Worth a look if it's not a recirc system.

Good luck!
J_w35 likes this.