Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 PM

Default Light weight aqurium/terrarium cage???

Are there any light weight aquarium cages on the market that arnt super expensive?

I currently use around 15~ aquarium cages for mice. Unfortunately, the 10g is a bit small, even for the singles. I have a few 20gLong cages, but they are really heavy for me. (Injured back). And since they are now in the basment, cleaning them means getting the cage across the basement, up the stairs, across the first floor, jsut to get to the bathroom where it can be washed out. Then repeat to get it back down stairs. This is incredibly brutal on my back. I cant imagine having all of them 10g cages upgraded to 20gL.

So iv been trying to find a light weight cage that i could use, but iv been coming up short on finding suitable options. - I cant use normal wire/bar cages. Mice could slip through them. And i dont want to try plastic bin cages, because some of these mice can chew pretty good and would escape.

So im trying to find some type of light weight aquarium style cage, that also wont be highly expensive seeing as how many i would need.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 12:00 AM

Wire bar cages are designed so mice can’t slip through them. Why do you think these mice would be able to defeat that?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Light weight aqurium/terrarium cage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Wire bar cages are designed so mice canít slip through them. Why do you think these mice would be able to defeat that?
Iv seen mice slip through a number of things as well as escape on me a number of times. They are crafty little critters.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:53 AM

Sounds like you might want to look into Rodent lab tubs. There are the ones that are basically a plastic tub with a wire cage on top that holds the food and water bottle.

www.thedartfrogblog.com
Old 02-27-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnachilli View Post
Sounds like you might want to look into Rodent lab tubs. There are the ones that are basically a plastic tub with a wire cage on top that holds the food and water bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
And i dont want to try plastic bin cages, because some of these mice can chew pretty good and would escape.

to clarify, im looking to get bigger cages, the size of a 20gallon Long aquarium or bigger, just ones that would weight less then the actual 20gL aquariums. (And not overly expensive, cause i need a bunch of them)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 AM

I had a circumstance where I had to keep adult swiss websters in a plastic storage bin. It was an opaque heavy duty bin. I think they are the thicker 'RoughNeck" style we used to store seed and gravel.

It was if I remember around 20" high and 2 feet long and it was kept open, no top on it with a couple of wooden houses in the middle, lots of little enrichments thrown in and paper towel cardboard tubes. Nobody got out and they were there long enough for me to cull hoppers.

Its possible some hoppers could have escaped but if they did, it wasnt significant enough to be noticed. I dont remember them chewing out either but its still a possibility.

It being Open, to a normally lit photoperiod is key. If you keep mice covered they will chew at their boundaries more industrially.

If you mouse proof the room you keep them in, which requires some door modification expense, escapes wont be such an issue. Nature rehab centers and other animal facilities use those kinds of doors.

Your criteria is pretty tight, you may have to adjust some of your mandates.

I have a bad back too, and I know what its like to experience that shift in task conditions.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Ok more data for ya:

It was a 25 GAL Rubbermaid ROUGHNECK.

Housed a webster male and a harem of 3. They seemed happy. An important tenet to me.

Not of the adult family escaped, there was no chewing, and I dont think the hoppers got out either. I cant assure that will be the same somewhere else.

Again, if the top is blocked mice will chew. A rigid grate if you are that worried but a cut hole/glued screen isnt a good choice.

Hope this helps
Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Your criteria is pretty tight, you may have to adjust some of your mandates.
No point in doing that. I can already get 20gL aquariums for $20 a piece. They are just to heavy. - To get something else that only mets 1 of 3 or 2 of 3 conditions wouldnt really leave me any better off then i am now. (Tho im open to be proven wrong)

Quote:
If you mouse proof the room you keep them in, which requires some door modification expense, escapes wont be such an issue. Nature rehab centers and other animal facilities use those kinds of doors.
Theyve been in a few locations. But now they are in my basement. Cant really escape proof that whole area. (Tho i did make a smaller escape proof/resistant area for cage cleaning in case they get out.)
There are many ways to get form the basement to the first floor, outside, probably the attic, from there. Plus a sump pump in the corner of the basement. If they fall into that hole, they probably arnt getting out alive. ( I placed a double layer of 1/4" square hardware cloth over the opening to that a long time ago to help prevent any accidents from happening.)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my current set up. Lot of cages. Some 10g, some 20gL and one i think is a 29 or 20Tall. While all the 10g cages should be 20gL, you can see how that many would be back breaking. And with my injuries, thats my starting point.

Thus you can see why im looking for something lighter. And not overly expensive since i would need a lot of them.

I have several images liek this. Huts made out of 1by poplar. And they chew right through them. Some also put massive dents in 2x6 or 2x8's. To any plastic or bin cage really doesnt seem like a good option.

Years back when they first started getting in and i was releasing them. I had some in a over night shipping totes like this. Woke up the next morning to find a massive chewed hole right through it and they all escaped. So more evidence that plastic is not a great option for my mice.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:38 PM

Yeah. I know that mice chew.

If you read my post again, perhaps you will see what i shared.

Otherwise, and anywhoo good luck!
Old 02-27-2020, 07:42 PM

Maybe some aluminum livestock troughs could work for you.

You could use a shop vac and nolvasan wipe down.

Otherwise i got nothin.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 PM

You can typically have one or the other but not both.
Will the mice chew through Acrylic or polycarbonate? Plenty of fish tanks made out of Acrylic and they are much lighter than glass.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
to clarify, im looking to get bigger cages, the size of a 20gallon Long aquarium or bigger, just ones that would weight less then the actual 20gL aquariums. (And not overly expensive, cause i need a bunch of them)
It was a long time ago that I work with lab mice, but as far as I remember they could not chew any part of the bins. It could have been the hard polycarbonate plastic they were made of, but I think it has more to due with the fact they couldn't get the smooth flat sides of the containers in their mouths.

Rodent tubs come in different sizes.

www.thedartfrogblog.com
Old 02-27-2020, 09:38 PM

Idont think OP wants to pay for lab boxes. The can run high if you dont get a lucky hook up, and damaged used ones suck, mice get out of bent or dislodged grate rods.

Im interested to see if anyone can come up with something
Old 02-28-2020, 01:41 AM

I will tell you this tho, places that have them, dont throw away the broken ones. They arent cheap and I have worked at a place that coveted the long ones with the narrow bars. And when they break from being thrown around for decades I think everyone thinks "Oh that can be fixed" "John can weld those" etc. But I bet it doesnt happen at those places either.

I remember rodent team separating the goodies from the crappies. Some of them also were rusted badly. The crappies were in a pile in the basement.

So if you can weld, sandblast etc etc, you should probably check into it.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:10 PM

It might be more worth it to consider making investing in making the cleaning process easier. Basically get a utility sink and plumbing into the basement.

Also way back in the day I used to make my own rabbit cages, we would make them with square wire mesh. You would take that and bend wire around them to create any shape and size you wanted. You could combine that method with some sort of tray, like a metal tray to create a very light, easy to work with cage. You can make your own doors and use water bottles and everything. The only real downside is it will take work.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 02-28-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 PM

+1 on dealing with your shitty maintenance workflow. Hauling aquaria up stairs to wash them out? Yuck. Get a sink in there.

Another +1 on plastic tubs. Just use your basic 20-25gal opaque Rubbermaid totes.

I kept hundreds of mice, for years, in many such totes. I just cut the lids down so they were mostly rim, and zip-tied 1/4" hardware mesh over the hole. Put the mesh inside the lid, and keep the zip ties close together. Cut small slits for the zip ties and make sure the wire mesh covers the slits. Otherwise that's where the mice will go to work, and soon be leaving.

You can fabricate "feeding boxes" (made of 1/2" mesh) into the lid mesh, so you don't need to open the tubs to get food in, AND the mice can't piss and shit all over their food. Cheaper + cleaner = oh baby. Keep the feeding boxes topped off or small mice will squeeze out the 1/2" mesh. If a mouse can get its skull through a hole, the mouse will get out.

Here's a video that shows the technique, more or less:

Anyway - free advice. Don't say you never asked for it.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
It might be more worth it to consider making investing in making the cleaning process easier. Basically get a utility sink and plumbing into the basement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
+1 on dealing with your shitty maintenance workflow. Hauling aquaria up stairs to wash them out? Yuck. Get a sink in there.
Iv already thought about that one. Sadly, i dont have the funds for a project like this right now. But i would love to.
However, the 20gL aquariums are close to 3 feet long. Not to mention height and width. Most sinks tht iv seen would not be large enough for this. Heck, it taks 2/3's - 3/4's room of the tub. So iv though about putting a tub right next to the mouse area.
The only place it could drain to tho is the sump pump which would also be right next to where the tub would go. Good positioning i guess, but i would need to find a way to add some kind of extra catch to make sure no chunks of litter or mess get though it all and into the sump pump. - But even so, i dont have the money to do that right now. I wish i did.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
Another +1 on plastic tubs. Just use your basic 20-25gal opaque Rubbermaid totes.

I kept hundreds of mice, for years, in many such totes.
Again, i would love bin cages, since they could be larger and a lot lighter, but i cant use plastic. They will chew out of them. Theyve done it before, and would do it again. Theyve chewed through plastic and even solid wood.
Keep in mind many of these are former wild deer or house mice, that for various different reasons, are unable to be released with any hope of survival. So there instincts are a bit stronger then a petstore mouse.

I did send a message to aqueon, the makers of the aquarium cages that petco uses for there $1/gal sale. Layed it all out and what im looking for. Waiting on a response from them. - They probably wont help, but it cant hurt to ask.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:52 AM

Ohhhh okay.

Cool indeed

I hope they can hook you up with what you need!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:03 AM

I agree with those who are pushing plastic: it isn't the material that stops the mice, it is the design. My feeders have never made so much as a scratch on the inside of plastic tubs (I use Vision rodent tubs), but if I fail to replace one of the water bottles (stems run through the side of the tub), they're out within the hour because their teeth can get a start. People keep ASF rats in platic tubs, and trust me, they can chew through the door of a car. Maybe your mice are Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH sort of critters, though.

Anyway, my other idea is DIY cages made from 1/4" hardware cloth. Mice can't chew it, lightweight, cheap-ish.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acorn-In...4850/300661491

- Whitman
Old 02-29-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Anyway, my other idea is DIY cages made from 1/4" hardware cloth. Mice can't chew it, lightweight, cheap-ish.
That was mentioned above; i forgot to respond to that idea.
I have hardware cloth (i think 1/4" squares) already. I keep some on hand since i own chinchillas and these mice. In a few instances, iv had to use hardware cloth as a tank lid because i didnt have any more normal mesh ones. (Damn lids cost more then the tanks >< )

A few things worry me about making a cage out of hardware cloth tho. While its strong yet bendable, it doesnt really hold a shape well and i think would buckle when trying to be held. Unless a normal wire cage was acquired and the cloth put around the inside.

When cutting that stuff to the size i need, it really leaves some sharp damn edges on every cut. Cant count the amount of times iv sliced my self on that material. I fear the injury that could be caused to a mouse bouncing off the wall.

And one big potential problem since they are former wilds.. i see how dirty the sides of the aquarium tanks get with pee. In a hardware cloth cage i fear that would leave quite a perimeter of pee around each cage. Which might cause some territorial issues.. not to mention basic sanitary issues. And while things like hanta virus are very rare.. hen it is transmitted, its usually through handling or breathing in heavy amount of pee or feces. - So id rather not have that stuff getting all over.

--

I know i keep shooting down or questioning ideas. But I do appreciate all the ideas and attempts to help out from everyone. The fact that im still searching shows just how much problems i was having in finding a suitable solution (short of suffering the back pain). Which was why i figured id ask ppl.
So thank you for all the help!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:44 AM

I see now why you need what you need. I dont know how your house is arranged, but with your back situation maybe there is a way of transporting a few at a time, perhaps a utility cart, and set up a cleaning station where you can wash them, hose them out.

Maybe a longer hose and a u line cart. Not as much bending may help. Ive had to make some adjustments along those lines as well with tanks.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:50 AM

The carts are light, waist high and completely plastic, you can wash and hose your tanks and the cart can get totally soapy and wet. Their made to be sloshed.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:19 PM

For what its worth, I'm on a permanent modified duty to break it down I have lumbar 4&5 injury /wear along w a synovial cyst. I no longer can work in my vocation, which is also my hobby at home. So I get it. Its a personal culture shock.

I'm still in the process of modifying stuff at home, shortening the distance between 2 points of lift and transport. Sliding where I used to carry, trying to keep my work within a healthy range where it is repetitive. Still there is often strain and moments of sudden reality that things have changed.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:54 PM

When it comes to agility, and physical tenacity, its like turning from a deer mouse into a Swiss Webster ;
Old 02-29-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I see now why you need what you need. I dont know how your house is arranged, but with your back situation maybe there is a way of transporting a few at a time, perhaps a utility cart, and set up a cleaning station where you can wash them, hose them out.

Maybe a longer hose and a u line cart. Not as much bending may help. Ive had to make some adjustments along those lines as well with tanks.
Sadly there is not enough room left in my basement for a cart to even fit. Id have to stop mid way though and pick it up over some stuff.
Half my basement was turned into a room for my chinchillas. Since they need to be temperature controlled. Temps at 73-75F+ can prove fatal to some, so its a big deal. Then the other 45% is all appliances and mice.
The only thing other then that is two shelves. One has tools and stuff on it. The other just random stuff. It was nailed into the cinder block foundation by previous owners. So i just left it there. (Thats the shelf that would have be be taken out to fit a tub tho.)
Right now it takes about 5 days to change/clean the cages. And thats with 12/16 being the smaller 10g tanks. I cant imagine how long and how painful if all the 10g were upgraded to 20gL.

Quote:
For what its worth, I'm on a permanent modified duty to break it down I have lumbar 4&5 injury /wear along w a synovial cyst. I no longer can work in my vocation, which is also my hobby at home. So I get it. Its a personal culture shock.
I know the feeling. Got a number of disk issues as well. And they are diagnosed as degenerative. So probably not getting better with time'
And just to make that worse, while its every bit as bad as it sounds, its not even close to my worst medical issue. So yea.. tons of fun.
And the injury that started it all.. occurred the day before my 21st bday. Just a little extra slap in the face.

There is a window nearby the mice, and outside the window a hose attachment. I could run that into the basement. The downside tho is i would have to rip out that shelf i mentioned and construct some kind of wall barrier thinggie to make sure the water isnt going everywhere. It would be right next to the sump pump so it could drain into that is the floor was angled some.

Tho i would need to add something that could catch any loose debris i might have missed. I dont want that getting into the sump pump.

And the hose would be limited to cold water. There is a sink over by the washing machine. I tried connecting a hose to that once but the hose connection and the sink connection were not entirely compatible. I did 'work' but the connection sprayed/leaked a lot of water, which is no good.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
There is a window nearby the mice, and outside the window a hose attachment. I could run that into the basement. The downside tho is i would have to rip out that shelf i mentioned and construct some kind of wall barrier thinggie to make sure the water isnt going everywhere. It would be right next to the sump pump so it could drain into that is the floor was angled some.

Tho i would need to add something that could catch any loose debris i might have missed. I dont want that getting into the sump pump.

And the hose would be limited to cold water. There is a sink over by the washing machine. I tried connecting a hose to that once but the hose connection and the sink connection were not entirely compatible. I did 'work' but the connection sprayed/leaked a lot of water, which is no good.
Running the drain into the sump is a bad idea. It will clog the pump, even with a screen. Then when it rains at your house, your pump will not keep up with incoming rainwater. It also runs the risk of building up sewer gas in your drain tile and/or sump basin.

You can get a drain pump basin -- or, since the pump will need cleaning once or twice a year -- a sewage ejector. I use a pump basin in my reptile room sink and pull the pump and clean it when it slows -- I have two screens on the drain and still yuck builds up.

https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/pump...p-systems.html
https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/pump...p-systems.html

These need to be plumbed into your septic line, which is pretty easy DIY, and vented to the outside. Running hot and cold water to a utility sink is not too complicated with 'Sharkbite' type fittings; you could easily tap off the washing machine feed, too.

- Whitman
Old 02-29-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
It also runs the risk of building up sewer gas in your drain tile and/or sump basin.
Quote:
You can get a drain pump basin -- or, since the pump will need cleaning once or twice a year -- a sewage ejector. I use a pump basin in my reptile room sink and pull the pump and clean it when it slows -- I have two screens on the drain and still yuck builds up.
Can you explain these? I dont really have much plumbing knowledge. This is also the first place iv lived that has a sump pump. And never really heard of a drain pump basin or sewage ejector.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Can you explain these? I dont really have much plumbing knowledge. This is also the first place iv lived that has a sump pump. And never really heard of a drain pump basin or sewage ejector.
The link has a "how to guide" that I haven't really looked at but has instructional info.

The basin (for cleanish water) and ejector (for chunky water) are plastic boxes that sit under the sink, and you run the drain of the sink into them. Water collects in the box, and the pump inside pumps the water up (since this is below grade, I assume) into the septic line.

Sewer gas is the aerosolized and vaporized compounds that skanky drain water emits (hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, etc) as it sits. Bad stuff to breathe, so the basin is vented to outside, where the gas can dissipate.

Davecalk (member here) could say more/better on this, I'm sure.

- Whitman
Old 02-29-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
The link has a "how to guide" that I haven't really looked at but has instructional info.

The basin (for cleanish water) and ejector (for chunky water) are plastic boxes that sit under the sink, and you run the drain of the sink into them. Water collects in the box, and the pump inside pumps the water up (since this is below grade, I assume) into the septic line.

Sewer gas is the aerosolized and vaporized compounds that skanky drain water emits (hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, etc) as it sits. Bad stuff to breathe, so the basin is vented to outside, where the gas can dissipate.

Davecalk (member here) could say more/better on this, I'm sure.
Is that why the sump pump area always smells bad? Is that hazardous? How does one fix this? Never really new why it always smelled. No matter how much water gets put in there and pumped out, that smell always remains.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:37 PM

I don't think a sump should smell bad; mine don't at all.

Are you running anything into them? If so, don't. Sumps are for draining clean water that comes into the basement under the foundation/floor from outside, and nothing else.

Edit to add: most modern sump basins are more or less sealed. Is yours open?

- Whitman
Old 03-01-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think a sump should smell bad; mine don't at all.

Are you running anything into them? If so, don't. Sumps are for draining clean water that comes into the basement under the foundation/floor from outside, and nothing else.

Edit to add: most modern sump basins are more or less sealed. Is yours open?
i only came to this house 2-3 years ago. I think it was built in the 60s?

Its a square opening in the floor in the corner of the basement. I used two layers of 1/4" hardware cloth tho to cover the top in case any animals got out or got into the house. I dont want them drowning in there (or anywhere.)

Rain water from outside drains into it. And the washing machine drains into it.
Technically, the sink next to the washing machine drains into it. And the washer drains into the sink.

They used to have the shower drain into it i think. Because the mortgage ppl made them connect it to the septic system in order to get approved.

But know its just the washer. - Front loader, so less water then top loaders.

But theres always been a bit of a smell coming the square in the corner. And i have very little sense of smell. Usually i cant smell most things. Unfortunately its rly dark in that hole, so you cant see much.

edit: it might be an old pump, i dont know. But theirs always water in the hole. It never drains fully. Not sure if some do or not.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Yes, sump basins always have some water in them (the pump can only draw down to a couple inches off the bottom). That's why they're usually a basin with a latching cover, and that's why you shouldn't run grey water into them.

I'm no plumber, but depending on where you live that setup is very likely not code.

Connecting sump pumps to city sewer is illegal in some/many cities (it overloads water treatment), and to private septic is a serious overload issue. I once saw a septic field fail; it was sublimely horrifying.

Washing machine and sink water will eventually (soon?) clog a sump pump, and could eventually (decades?) clog the drain tile system, which is not designed to have organic material in it.

If that setup were in my home, it would be priority #1 to fix. Having a plumber inspect it might be a good first option, but if you can do the work yourself -- draining the washer and sink into a drain basin, and also running the sump drain line pump outside -- simply fixing it might be not too much more expensive.

Then you'll have a proper drain basin for your mouse cage sink -- here's one that can fit a 20L inside:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BigTub-U...28CF/203155730

Quote:
i only came to this house 2-3 years ago. I think it was built in the 60s?

Its a square opening in the floor in the corner of the basement. I used two layers of 1/4" hardware cloth tho to cover the top in case any animals got out or got into the house. I dont want them drowning in there (or anywhere.)

Rain water from outside drains into it. And the washing machine drains into it.
Technically, the sink next to the washing machine drains into it. And the washer drains into the sink.

They used to have the shower drain into it i think. Because the mortgage ppl made them connect it to the septic system in order to get approved.

But know its just the washer. - Front loader, so less water then top loaders.

But theres always been a bit of a smell coming the square in the corner. And i have very little sense of smell. Usually i cant smell most things. Unfortunately its rly dark in that hole, so you cant see much.

edit: it might be an old pump, i dont know. But theirs always water in the hole. It never drains fully. Not sure if some do or not.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 03-01-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:26 PM

The sump pump is in the corner of the basement. It pumps to the outside of the house.
The sink and washing machine drain into the sump pump.

The shower now drains into the septic system on a different side of the house.
ill grab a picture of it later today.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Then you'll have a proper drain basin for your mouse cage sink -- here's one that can fit a 20L inside:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BigTub-U...28CF/203155730
Honestly, that would likely be far to small. I think i would have to go with something the size of an actual tub. That sink would just barley fit a 20gL into it sitting down. But i would need room to wash the whole thing, rinse the whole thing, and stand it up to be able to drain it. It takes up the majority of the space in the tub when its washed. - Its also glass so you dont want to risk bumping it into anything and cracking it. So i think id have to use an actual tub bottom. Either way tho, cant afford it right now.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The sump pump is in the corner of the basement. It pumps to the outside of the house.
The sink and washing machine drain into the sump pump.
Ah...basically a homemade greywater system. I misunderstood what was connected to the septic.

I'd still be concerned about the sump clogging at an inopportune time (spring melt; Biblical rainstorm). And smelly water in the house isn't good. Whether you think those issues are worth worrying about is your call, of course.

- Whitman
Old 03-01-2020, 04:56 PM

When i first was moving in, i had a plumber guy out to both this place and my last one. Turns out hes a waste of life. Horrible work, and even worse to his employees.
He came out to look at some vents, but he took a look at the sump pump while he was there. Since iv never had one before, i didnt rly know anything about them. And at that moment, the pvc pip near the bottom just happened to spring a pin leak. How shocking -_-
His solution to fix it was to cut the pip and put that black boot on it. Needless to say after that the pipe had a heavy lean on it. Leaning tower of pipea. The only thing i could do at the time was to throw up those two slabs of wood, drilled together, to push the pipe straight.

But you can see, it pumps right to the outside of the house. And you see the two layers of hardware cloth i threw over the top to make sure any animals didnt fall into it and drown; weighed down with bricks.
And i did forget to add that technically the (im assuming) AC system has a black pipe that drains into it. (The pipe comes from the furnace, but the furnace and the ac are piped together a bit.) But thats trickle water, and i never use the ac system which makes it usually no water.

Quote:
Ah...basically a homemade greywater system. I misunderstood what was connected to the septic.

I'd still be concerned about the sump clogging at an inopportune time (spring melt; Biblical rainstorm). And smelly water in the house isn't good. Whether you think those issues are worth worrying about is your call, of course.
worrying about.. yes. Ability to afford to do anything about it.. sadly no.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
worrying about.. yes. Ability to afford to do anything about it.. sadly no.
I understand. We do what we can.

That 'boot' (rubber coupling) is fairly legit (looks like there is one at the top too); in some instances they are the only option. I'd have cut out the whole section and glued another in, personally, but my labor is free. If you ever feel like learning how to glue PVC (it is really easy) you could rebuild that piping for ~$30 or so.

Checking that the pump is clear would be a good idea. You might be able to do it without disconnecting anything -- the pump draws from the bottom perimeter of the unit; there are 'grates' in a ring around the bottom edge to filter out the larger chunks, but stuff (animal hair, lint, organic sludge) builds up and can slow/stop the flow. If you stuck your hand in there (unplug the pump just for electrical safety) you could likely feel how things are doing. Then treat yourself to a nice long hot shower.

You've apparently got some water around there (the walls are pretty stained), so keeping tabs on things would be wise.

- Whitman
Old 03-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If you stuck your hand in there (unplug the pump just for electrical safety) you could likely feel how things are doing. Then treat yourself to a nice long hot shower.
Yea.. i thought about that. But iv never been eager to stick my hand into smelly water that i cant see past..
Especially with no sump pump knowledge. I know my luck. Id end up sticking my hand into some kind of propeller. ... ... ... I really do mean 'i know my luck'. Last summer some of my fingers went through the table saw..

Quote:
You've apparently got some water around there (the walls are pretty stained), so keeping tabs on things would be wise.
Yea, thats been a problem longer then iv been here. Water can seep through the cinder block walls at times. Especially where the well tank pipe comes into the basement. (which is directly to the left of the sump pump. I was standing next to it to take the picture above.)

Its one of the bigger issues that needs dealt with. I looked into it before and it seems like id have to have the perimeter of the house dug up and the outside sealed. ... I dont know how much that would cost. But since i can even afford a set of better tanks atm... im guessing its way past my budget.