No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Gadbery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2020, 03:16 AM

Default Glass Top for Exo-terra 36x18x18

I'm building out an exo 40g breeder. For my other viv's I've had a piece of 1/4" glass cut for the tops and left a small gap for a vent in the back. I'm concerned about doing this for a 36" long tank though. Has anyone done this? I feel like 36" is a long way for a piece of glass to lay unsupported. I'm scared it's going to bow inward and break eventually. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Glass Top for Exo-terra 36x18x18

Based on aquarium experience, I would have no reservations about 1/4" glass spanning 36". On fish tanks, we do that with 3/16" all the time.

Do get that tempered, though, absolutely. And don't use it to support heavy equipment like lights, and keep cats/dogs/monkeys/children off it.
Encyclia likes this.

- Whitman
Old 02-26-2020, 01:07 PM

I have done this with my 36" tanks. I always keep the plastic insert that held the metal screen and just put the glass on top of that. That helps shore up some of the weight issue. Remember that just because you have a big vent doesn't mean you have to keep it open. I usually have glass cut for the whole area of the top, then I have them cut the back 3 inches off of that. I screen the back like you were planning, then I set that piece of glass on top of the screen. I can block or unblock as much of the vent as I want that way. You can also use plastic wrap for that purpose.

Mark

Old 02-26-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I have done this with my 36" tanks. I always keep the plastic insert that held the metal screen and just put the glass on top of that. That helps shore up some of the weight issue. Remember that just because you have a big vent doesn't mean you have to keep it open. I usually have glass cut for the whole area of the top, then I have them cut the back 3 inches off of that. I screen the back like you were planning, then I set that piece of glass on top of the screen. I can block or unblock as much of the vent as I want that way. You can also use plastic wrap for that purpose.

Mark
The blocking the screen with the cut glass is exactly what the Insitu ecosystems tanks do as well. The back vent in about 2 inches of screen and has a 2 inch wide glass piece to slide/ adjust the amount you want open.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 AM

If I use tempered I won't be able to drill for misting nozzles, yes?
Old 02-27-2020, 02:48 AM

You have to have the holes drilled before it is tempered. A glass shop can do all that for you.

- Whitman
Old 02-27-2020, 05:00 AM

Oh I see. They actually temper the glass in house. I just figured that was something they got as is from a factory. Great, perfect advice as always, thanks!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drthsideous View Post
Oh I see. They actually temper the glass in house. I just figured that was something they got as is from a factory. Great, perfect advice as always, thanks!
Well, I don't actually know the glass trade, but my impression from buying lots of glass products is that most shops will order out many items.

There are online options too, if you don't have a local shop that is willing to do something other than storm windows and windshields. I've ordered from these folks a couple times (basic aquarium tops) and have been satisfied:

https://www.onedayglass.com/

Edit to add: I should mention that I personally would probably run the nozzles through the screen, just so that future design changes (adding/subtracting/moving nozzles) would be simple. I myself leave the stock top on and cover what I need to with acrylic laid on top of the screen, which makes future redesigns easy and DIYable.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 02-27-2020 at 02:29 PM.