Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sake135
  • 2 Post By RoryOMoore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 04:01 AM

Default Ghost wood

How does ghost wood hold up in a paludarium? If I have some of it submerged will it rot pretty quick? How long will it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Ghost wood

Ghost Wood is supposedly on the good list for vivariums :-) I haven't tried it but have read good things from other people. Other good options are Manzanita (my favorite :-), Malaysian Drift Wood, and Cork. All of those have held up for years with no signs of stopping in my vivs. Cypress Knees and Grape Wood, on the other hand, rotted incredibly quickly in my vivs. No idea why I capitalized all of those names... The latter two, especially, don't deserve it!

Mark
Old 02-20-2020, 03:59 PM

I kept some completely submerged in a fish tank for three years and when I broke down that tank I put it outside in a planter. It's been out there for two years and it's still mostly solid. It's a little brittle now but that's to be expected since it sits out in the summer and is covered in snow in the winter.
Encyclia likes this.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Ghost Wood is supposedly on the good list for vivariums :-) I haven't tried it but have read good things from other people. Other good options are Manzanita (my favorite :-), Malaysian Drift Wood, and Cork. All of those have held up for years with no signs of stopping in my vivs. Cypress Knees and Grape Wood, on the other hand, rotted incredibly quickly in my vivs. No idea why I capitalized all of those names... The latter two, especially, don't deserve it!

Mark

Definitely prefer manzanita but itís a little harder for me to get my hands on. Iíve heard mixed on ghostwood. It is supposedly a soft wood which would make me think it wouldnít hold up to well. I plan on using A LOT of it. So I wouldnít want the tank falling apart after a few years.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake135 View Post
I kept some completely submerged in a fish tank for three years and when I broke down that tank I put it outside in a planter. It's been out there for two years and it's still mostly solid. It's a little brittle now but that's to be expected since it sits out in the summer and is covered in snow in the winter.

Did it ever support any weight? Iím thinking of putting a green tree python in the tank and wouldnít want it to soften up too much to where it would just snap eight he snake on it.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:22 PM

That would depend on the size of the gtp and the width of the branch but it's a pretty dense wood. The right piece should support the weight of an adult gtp just fine.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake135 View Post
That would depend on the size of the gtp and the width of the branch but it's a pretty dense wood. The right piece should support the weight of an adult gtp just fine.

Thanks for the reply. But even if the wood is getting constantly wet and dry?
If I can get manzanita Iíll go that route forsure. I donít want to have to redo the tank because of the wood lol.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:51 AM

Per Glassbox Tropicals: "Ghostwood is one of the most sought after types of wood in the terrarium and vivarium hobby. It is a type of Manzanita that has been sandblasted and is known for its spiraling wood patterns and interesting branching habits. Ghostwood is a very dense wood that holds up extremely well in both extremely humid terrarium settings and more arid environments for other amphibians and reptiles. Many epiphytes grow extremely well on this wood as well including many of the orchids and ferns that Glass Box Tropicals offers!"

Hope that helps
Encyclia and Austindg13 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoryOMoore For This Useful Post:
Austindg13 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryOMoore View Post
Per Glassbox Tropicals: "Ghostwood is one of the most sought after types of wood in the terrarium and vivarium hobby. It is a type of Manzanita that has been sandblasted and is known for its spiraling wood patterns and interesting branching habits. Ghostwood is a very dense wood that holds up extremely well in both extremely humid terrarium settings and more arid environments for other amphibians and reptiles. Many epiphytes grow extremely well on this wood as well including many of the orchids and ferns that Glass Box Tropicals offers!"

Hope that helps

Iíve been getting so many mixed reviews on it. Glass box it pretty knowledgeable though. I just done want to use it as the main wood in my viv for it to only last 3-5 years.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:45 AM

Looks like you already had a decision made before posting. Thereís plenty of info on ghostwood on the forum in case you want more info. Whatever you choose to use, good luck. Builds are always fun