Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 10:13 PM

Default Floating land mass problem

I’m making a mudskipper paludarium and I’ve made a fake mangrove tree to go in the center. I want to construct two land masses on either side of the tree so the mudskippers have adequate land area. The idea is to make sections from egg crate, wrap it in screen, zip tie it together, then add substrate to the land areas. My problem is that I want to cover the screen with a sand substrate, but I can’t figure out the best way to do this. I’ve tried siliconing the screen then adding sand but the sand doesn’t adhere and cover the screen well. My big question is what’s the best way to make the floating land mass look natural, or is there a completely different way to make these land masses? I want to have water completely underneath the land. I may be over thinking this but I’m stumped, any suggestions would be welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Floating land mass probl

Cant you just add a thick layer of sand? The screen should be fine enough to prevent it from falling through. Or you could use a weed block material. Silicon would prevent water from going through anyway.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Floating land mass problem

I could create a raised edge around the perimeter with sand in the middle, then just paint the whole land mass with drylok with the acrylic dye. Im afraid with the mudskippers going in and out of the land mass theyd eventually shift all the sand around and drag it out. But I also think I might be over thinking this haha

Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Ahh ok.. I get where youre going now. Im sure others have done mudskipper paludariums I like to do google image searches to get inspiration on plant species from time to time. Maybe see how others are dealing with that issue.

An option may be to silicone some pea gravel or any round stone and then sand. At least it will allow the sand to not be eroded as much with the mud skippers movement.

Or

You could do a sandstone base for that area.. in swimming pools we used to use sand cement.. basically use cement mixed with mostly sand to hold it together.. Id bet good money that you could use titebond like they do with treefern fiber but use sand instead and it would dry hard and inert. From reading previous threads they say titebond holds fine submersed after it cures..

Get a small bottle and do a test run with it. I bet it would work! Id do the mix, lay it out and pat in some dry sand on the surface to make it look cleaner / more natural.

Or check and see what sand sculptures use.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:24 PM

I really dig the titebond and sand idea, Id basically just be making a land sculpture in the tank. What a good idea! I can also mold it however I want with ramps and such for the skippers. I like the idea of having a lower profile as well, I could make it about half as thick as my previous land mass. Do you know off the top of your head which titebond is aquarium safe?
Old 01-18-2020, 01:17 PM

I think mudskippers need loose sand in order to feel secure.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM

I would create a pool in the middle of the land mass with loose sand. I just needed a way to make the landmass itself look natural
Old 01-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Titebond III is the waterproof one.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oktober View Post
I’m making a mudskipper paludarium and I’ve made a fake mangrove tree to go in the center. I want to construct two land masses on either side of the tree so the mudskippers have adequate land area. The idea is to make sections from egg crate, wrap it in screen, zip tie it together, then add substrate to the land areas. My problem is that I want to cover the screen with a sand substrate, but I can’t figure out the best way to do this. I’ve tried siliconing the screen then adding sand but the sand doesn’t adhere and cover the screen well. My big question is what’s the best way to make the floating land mass look natural, or is there a completely different way to make these land masses? I want to have water completely underneath the land. I may be over thinking this but I’m stumped, any suggestions would be welcomed!
I did that in my Paludarium. Not sure if it would be what you are looking for or not, but over the egg crate and screen, I siliconed in Cork bark to make the "Land Edge" I wasnt sure how it was going to turn out but it made both the edge and a way to keep the substrate(or in your case sand)in. My fish can swim completely beneath it. You can incorporate Rocks, Driftwood, plants etc. in too. It really worked out well for my setup.

Last edited by Mmkco; 01-31-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: add info