Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 04:32 PM

Default Hydrolon on glass

Has anyone glued hydrolon directly on to glass? I was wondering if the hygrolon would eventually peel off the glass like Greatstuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Hydrolon on glass

Quote:
Has anyone glued hydrolon directly on to glass?
I have used silicone adhesive to apply hygrolon to glass. I've got about a half-dozen vivs currently with hygrolon in them, somewhere on the background.

You could probably use gorilla glue, but I've never used that on glass. You could probably also use a cyanoacrylate ("super") glue. Or an epoxy. No lack of options. Just RTFM, and follow it.

Quote:
wondering if the hygrolon would eventually peel off the glass
Surely it's dependent on glass prep and choice of adhesive? I've had zero peel-away with silicone (and good prep). That's the only thing I've ever tried. 100% success, zero complaints or regrets.

Really, the thing to pay attention to here is, have you selected the right material to adhere to the glass? Not the glue, I mean the hygrolon. It's perfect in the right application, but people are often disappointed by it, because they don't know its performance characteristics and basically misuse it. Or they discover or develop aesthetic qualms. I like it best wicking water up from the drainage layer, to keep parts of backgrounds moist for moss growth. You can also hide it under LFS, in a cork-mosaic application.

good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to jgragg For This Useful Post:
amgini (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 PM

Iíve used silicone and itís held for over a year with no signs of decay I decided to remove it, and it was very difficult to remove. I just used a hot glue gun on another and it held very well.

Spread the silicon by (gloved) hand so it coats the entire area then lay the hygrolon on and without too much force smooth it out and allow it to cling. Donít press too hard that it seeps through but enough that it costs the back side. Let sit 24 hours and you will be good to go.
amgini (01-17-2020)

Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=jgragg;3080758]I have used silicone adhesive to apply hygrolon to glass. I've got about a half-dozen vivs currently with hygrolon in them, somewhere on the background.

hi there,
i have never seen hygrolon used on glass and i am not familiar to this material .. would you care to share some images from any of your vivs to see how it looks?

thank you Nick
Old 01-20-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Spread the silicon by (gloved) hand so it coats the entire area then lay the hygrolon on and without too much force smooth it out and allow it to cling. Donít press too hard that it seeps through but enough that it costs the back side. Let sit 24 hours and you will be good to go.
I would say part of this is 100% essential, and part is a matter of choice. The essential part is to not push so hard that you fill the hygrolon's pore space with silicone. It can't do its thing with water, if it's full of silicone!

Waiting 24 hrs is also great advice. To that I would add, "moderately mist the hygrolon with water, as your final step before the 24-hr cure time". The water will facilitate a good cure.

The elective part is "coat the entire area". I've taken to just doing a full strip, about an inch wide, up and down either side, and then laid down a grid of little dots (about a cm across, with maybe 2 inches spacing) in the middle. You use a lot less silicone, and the hygrolon is still solidly adhered.

If you are dead-set on smearing silicone, you definitely want the glove but I find a putty knife to be most helpful for the actual spreading. You can really smear a thin layer in a flat plane, with a putty knife. Steel or plastic, doesn't matter. Just clean up after with paper towels. This is another way, too, to save on silicone. To get my inch-wide strip, I just lay down a bead with the gun and follow up with the knife, which spreads the bead out beautifully.

good luck!
amgini likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgragg For This Useful Post:
amgini (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Hydrolon on

Good advise. I like full coverage mainly because i had to look at the other side of the glass. Lol

Here is one I recently did. It isnít glass, but a flat piece of black aluminum but same basic concept. I used a hot glue gun for this one, which worked out surprisingly well. I use made beads of glue adhered a section and repeated until it was done. It cools quick so best to work in sections. I wanted a very simple design on this one with marcgravia lasted to cover the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23F9BD51-561A-4D97-A0C0-2C84FD16BA66.jpg (18.2 KB, 21 views)