Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lokirathehunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Spray foam question

Has anyone used the black all purpose spray foam from great stuff? I would like to use it but wasnt sure it was safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Spray foam question

Seen it used loads should be good once covered in silicon and cocofiber or whatever you wanna use

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 04:20 PM

In my own observations it doesn’t seem to stick to glass as well as the regular GS foam. The foam by Loctite is white colored but really strong with good grab on slick surfaces.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The foam by Loctite
I like that stuff too. Particularly when it comes to cutting it - it's denser, you don't get as many big air pockets in awkward places. You can do finer, more precise carving. And it makes "harder rocks" than GS - they are less likely to ding if squeezed, pressed, or dropped as you're crafting. My experience anyway.

Quote:
the black all purpose spray foam from great stuff?
Sorry, can't help you - never used it myself. Nowadays I always cover foam with epoxy anyway, so it doesn't matter if the foam is "safe" or not - water isn't going to get to it.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
Quote:
The foam by Loctite
I like that stuff too. Particularly when it comes to cutting it - it's denser, you don't get as many big air pockets in awkward places. You can do finer, more precise carving. And it makes "harder rocks" than GS - they are less likely to ding if squeezed, pressed, or dropped as you're crafting. My experience anyway.

Quote:
the black all purpose spray foam from great stuff?
Sorry, can't help you - never used it myself. Nowadays I always cover foam with epoxy anyway, so it doesn't matter if the foam is "safe" or not - water isn't going to get to it.

Good luck!

Agreed 100%, that Loctite stuff is super dense. Very nice to carve as well. Now if only they made it in a earth tone color.....
Old 01-07-2020, 05:47 AM

If you use gorrila glue first maby then spray foam over the top it may stick better I can't get great stuff easily in the UK I use sodal spray foam the silicon tends to be the thing that holds it to the glass the most haven't had a problem yet and I like that it is non permanent because if you want to redo it it makes it so you can

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 04:36 PM

I actually prefer to use the black because it's easily covered up. If done perks through its not so bad
OlWolf likes this.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:36 PM

If some peeks* through. Sorry, should have checked that 😕
Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 PM

I'd like to use the Great Stuff pond-formula (black stuff) in a corner waterfall Idea I've had. I'd like to know from all of you, what does the Pond Stuff stick to - and what does it NOT. Will it hold lava-rock chunks? Also would like to know if I used lava-sand dusted over the while thing right after applying, and pressed down into the surface - will the dust stick to the foam? Or do I have to use silicone anyway, to make it adhere? And what do you suggest I use as a "space filler" to leave a top-down open void in the corner to drop a small water-pump into? I'd like to be able to retrieve it and service it once in awhile - not entomb it in foam. ��
Old 01-29-2020, 04:01 AM

Honestly, I would just use the standard gaps and cracks stuff. It ends up forming a denser foam that seems to adhere a bit better. Sprinkling stuff on the surface right after application would probably not work as it would expand and expose gaps in whatever you sprinkle on. So you will need to coat it in silicone (or dryloc or Titebond 3, etc) anyway and then add to that your "dust". Which could be coco coir, peat, or tree fern fiber among other possibilities.

As far as accessing the pump, I have no experience there. I would probably try to set up some kind of sump and avoid leaving the pump in the tank at all.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2020, 10:51 AM

Leaving the pump in the tank is a bad idea. Eventually it'll need cleaning or maintaining and that means digging through your vivarium to get it out. Drain the water out of the vivarium into a sump, then filter and return it (like a canister filter for an aquarium)