Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Default Jungle Dawn spotlight failure?

This project's delays and hang-ups are turning into one very sad, frustrating joke...I'm not sure whether to scream or cry at this point. Sigh...here's the latest one.

One of my two Jungle Dawn 40W spotlights is now failing to light. While I purchased it about two years ago, I ran into other project delays such that I haven't actually used it 'till just a week or so ago. It's been running a cumulative total of less than 100 hours and is now not coming on (lights nor fan). I swapped fixtures (hoping that that was the problem, as that's much cheaper to replace) and no-go...still being a dud. My other light is not having any problems. Reeeeally don't want to have to spring for another replacement given costs and potential vendors being sold out (they seem to be sold out a lot this time of year of various things), plus holiday shipping delays.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions for anything I can try, other than hoping the vendor I used will somehow send me a replacement? (I'm doubtful, since I've had it so long, but I'll inquire.)

These are lamps I need for a tall enclosure; I'm about to plant the thing, and this is very frustrating, especially since everything I've read says these are great lamps and worth using. (I was liking them so far.)
I should add that I'm using the recommended wire-cage ceramic-socket fixture (purchased from the same vendor), the outlet it's running off of is in no way overloaded, and I haven't had any power surges or outages that I am aware of while it's been running.

Arrrghh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Jungle Dawn spotlight failure?

Have you checked the light with another fixture? One that works, just as a canvas test?

This will help refine the problem. As its often The Butler not the dinner guest - you dig?

Fixtures (and other stuff) sold in pet/aquaria/hobby industry are acquired and assembled from large company suppliers. They sell the units to the smaller ie: eclectic companies. I have noted that one cannot be confident/complacent in performance of fixtures, that have been broadly assembled without "our" bulbs delicacy and "ON" duration in mind, and found it is useful to check basic things.

Workers who are not paid very much, assemble the domes, cages, fixtures. Here is what I have found: Always check the Contact Tab in any incandescent fixture. Frequently it requires a press as it will be sticking out in a way that is not heathy to torque a lamp base in. Causing tension and duress.

It is also not good for it to be FLAT. If it is carefully pull it up with a little flat head or dental tool, a slender few mms: You want good contact without over torque

My post is an under-the-radar offering. Process of deduction.

I eliminate the fixture before deeming the lamp unhealthy.

Last edited by Kmc; 12-12-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Yeah, as I mentioned I have swapped fixtures - took the light that was still working and put it into the fixture of the one that stopped working - and it's not the fixture. (The swapped light works. The malfunctioning one still does not, even in the other fixture that I know works.)

I'm going to try to attach photos of what style of lamp and fixture this is. It's an LED and is meant to hang down, so I'm not sure how anything in this socket could be angled for better contact, but I'll see if there's a contact point in the base that looks flatter in this one than the working one. Given that this light didn't work in the fixture that is currently running the functional light, though, I don't think this is the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jungle Dawn spotlight.jpg (38.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Jungle Dawn fixture.jpg (43.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 12-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Bummer, sounds like a faulty power supply/ chip set. Unfortunately most Asia made LEDs have B-rating quality control. I personally don't like the all in one led units because if the power supply fails, you can't replace it without opening up the light, obtaining spare parts, soldering, etc. With a remote power supply you just pay $15 for a new one and you're good.

I'd resort to some of the Amazon grow lights or flood lights in the proper spectrum. Until you go with name brand lights like Kessils or Hydrofarm, the quality of the Amazon lights will be the same as Jungle Dawns. In 24" tall tanks I've been happy with the Green Element Evo lights

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 04:23 PM

If your only concern is that holiday shipping or stock will be a problem why not just buy any high powered $20 PAR38 LED and throw it in there and work with it till stock comes back.
Amazon has it in stock right now for $80
And amazon has a few similar LEDs for $50 such as this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Non-Dimmable-...70&sr=8-4&th=1

Alternatively I have seen a variety of froggers using these, the 36W model would probably be very close in output.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-CR...zYst22cBiLcTnA
Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 AM

I suppose these things (power supplies, chip set, as you mention) can work at first and then fail (as opposed to never working)? Sorry, these things are over my head. I did briefly flirt with the idea of undoing the screws and seeing what was up inside the thing, but not knowing what to look for other than some obvious burnt/melted component, it would be useless.

I think I was mostly hoping for a "oh, duh" suggestion of something I might have missed in troubleshooting it, or someone giving feedback of "yeah, there have been duds in that product line over time" or something. Not that that would have helped exactly, but...there it is. From what I've heard Jungle Dawn has, in general, a great track record and is liked by many for its spectrum (PAR) and power. Perhaps it's not as overblown as that, though, since I don't "get out much" on forums and places where I'd read about other popular lights. Your suggestions of a temporary replacement or outright swap w/ another brand of lamp are worth investigating, so I'll check out those links, thanks.

It's just that my patience with this project (well, both tanks) having setback after setback make any further delay that much more frustrating. The lighting frustrations are overlapping with the frustrations of having some specific plants I wanted to shop for being out of stock now everywhere I look. I didn't want to stockpile things during the warmer months for a few reasons, mostly due to lack of holding space. Anyway, I'm sure most of us have had to deal with setbacks in this hobby...a run of bad luck, I guess. At least at this point it's gonna be an entertaining story when I'm finally ready to tell it.