Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Drilling overflows

For those of you using automatic misting systems, at what height do you drill your overflow holes? Is an inch from bottom good or should I go higher? Also, if you have an overflow, do you do water changes in your drainage layer, or are you confident that the regular addition of misting water gets rid of waste?
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Drilling overflows

Good questions. For me, it depends on the size of the bulkhead I am trying to use. If it's a standard aquarium bulkhead, I just get the hole as low as I can above the molding of the tank. This usually results in a false bottom height of 1.5-2.5 inches. I don't use those as much anymore, having switched to the little MistKing bulkheads. These are easier to drill and I have more flexibility in how high I want them to be off the bottom at the back. I really don't think it matters as much how much water you keep in the drainage layer, as long as there is always some. You want the evaporation to help you keep the tank at the humidity you are looking for. I have read that just having constant water in a drainage layer is good for 60% humdity all the time. Not sure how true that is, but it certainly helps.

As for accumulation of stuff in the false bottom, I don't pay too much attention to that as long as there is plenty of space between the drainage and substrate layers. My assumption is that if the frogs aren't interacting with the potentially-foul water, it's not really an issue. Further, if you are misting regularly, water will be coming out your bulkhead pretty consistently so you are doing mini water changes all the time. It's not perfect, by any means, but I am sure it helps. I have never had an issue with having to replace water in any of my tanks. I do occasional water changes in the one tank I have with running water, though. I should probably do them in that tank more often than I do.

Best of luck,

Mark