Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 11:44 PM

Default Tips for reducing vibration from mistking?

I have a mist king advanced setup, and the pump and reservoir in a cupboard and the tank on top. I have 3 inch thick foam pad under the pump, and the mist head is attached through a drilled hole in a glass top, but when the mist starts, the vibration in the tank is very noticeable and I imagine it's strange, if not stressful to the frogs. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Tips for reducing vibration from mistking?

Mine's screwed directly to the wood cabinet and there's minimal noise with mine. Okay so it's Malaysian Teak so it's heavy! Perhaps the foam pad is amplifying the vibration somehow? Also, have you nailed down your tubes?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 AM

Try silicone around the vibrations to absorbs maybe.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 AM

Yep, I think screwing down the pump is a good idea, as is using the Mistking clamps (or equivalent) to fasten the tubes. If the rattling is evident at the glass top, perhaps a couple O rings/gaskets to dampen the movement between the glass and the nozzle is in order.

- Whitman
Old 11-08-2019, 05:19 AM

Securing the tubing really helps with vibrations. I use a baker's rack and the tubing will cause strange noises if not secured. I use Velcro.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 AM

I think Mistking is using diaphragm pumps. These are usually pretty silent and not vibrating that much compared to other pumps.

My experience is also that the tubing is causing much more problems. To fix the tubing to the rack at least every 8 inches should help a lot.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Yep, I think screwing down the pump is a good idea, as is using the Mistking clamps (or equivalent) to fasten the tubes. If the rattling is evident at the glass top, perhaps a couple O rings/gaskets to dampen the movement between the glass and the nozzle is in order.
Good tip.

If the sound is coming from the MistKing pump, screwing down the pump and isolating it can help. Placing a rubber gasket between the pump and what you are bolting it down to will isolate vibrations thus lowering sound.

The sound could also be coming from vibration where the MistKing spray head is mounted to the tank. Installing O rings on both sides of spray head where it passes through and into the tank should also help.

Anything that helps isolate and stop vibrations from resonating like a piano sounding board will help.

Sounding boards actually amplify sound.

From Wikipedia:
A sound board, or soundboard, is the surface of a string instrument that the strings vibrate against, usually via some sort of bridge. Pianos, guitars, banjos, and many other stringed instruments incorporate soundboards. The resonant properties of the sound board and the interior of the instrument greatly increase the loudness of the vibrating strings

Every little bit helps.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalk View Post
The sound could also be coming from vibration where the MistKing spray head is mounted to the tank. Installing O rings on both sides of spray head where it passes through and into the tank should also help.
Dave, this is a funny question but it is on topic and I'm sure you'll know: what's the difference between an o-ring and a gasket? Which is better for what we're trying to do here? (I know you said 'o-ring', but I'm looking for more explanation.)

- Whitman
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Dave, this is a funny question but it is on topic and I'm sure you'll know: what's the difference between an o-ring and a gasket? Which is better for what we're trying to do here? (I know you said 'o-ring', but I'm looking for more explanation.)
Not a funny question at all. They both are actually designed for the plumbing industry, but can be used in the automotive industry. They do the same thing in that they are used on different areas.

A gasket is typically used to seal or mate 2 flat surfaces. For instance on a car it would be used to keep a thermostat housing from leaking. An O Ring is design to seal something that is round. It keeps your kitchen faucet from leaking while you can rotate it to turn the water on and off.

In this instance we are using them in a non-standard way.

The gasket is flat but spongy. When you bolt a MistKing pump down to a surface you are attempting to isolate it's movement and keep the vibrations from being transferred to the object it is being bolted to. This limits the sound transfer.

In the same way the O Ring is being used to isolate and keep the vibrations that are traveling through the tubing from being transferred to the tank.

In a piano a small hammer strikes a string the vibration is transferred to the sounding board which amplifies the sound.

When the pump comes on vibration is transferred to the block / floor / what ever is holding the pump. Sound also travels through the water and tubing to the tank which holds the spray nozzle. All of these things act just like a piano does. In our case we are trying to muffle and keep the sound from being transferred to things that will amplify the sound. Not doing so can make the wife, kids, and dog irritated every time the pump kicks on.
Socratic Monologue (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 AM

I love when a simple question elicits a great conversation. I will bolt the pump down inside the cabinet with a gasket of some sort and secure the lines. the head is secured the the glass with a healthy amount of silicone applied and probably is not part of the problem.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoconnor83 View Post
I love when a simple question elicits a great conversation. I will bolt the pump down inside the cabinet with a gasket of some sort and secure the lines. the head is secured the the glass with a healthy amount of silicone applied and probably is not part of the problem.
Perfectly appropriate. Silicone is often used for creating gaskets, especially in the automotive industry. It's rubbery consistency will dampen noise and vibration well, so long as you don't over tighten the fitting and squeeze to much silicone out. Using an O Rings will typically afford more sound proofing because it will remain thicker. It creates a thicker shock absorber which will dampen are remove more vibration.

If you want the most sound proofing for the pump, use gasket under the pump and use an O Ring as a washer which will isolate the bolt / screw so it does not actually come in contact with the pump. Any actual contact becomes a transfer point for sound.

Last edited by davecalk; 11-10-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 PM

There is one more reason why bolting the pump down cuts the noise even if you don't use a gasket. The pressure from the screw tends to hold and limit the amount of vibration that the pumps internal mechanisms can produce. The action of bolting the pump down along with a gasket drastically will lower the sound levels that come from a pump.

Also, while O Rings are very cheap, you could use gasket rubber in place of an O Ring.

One last thing. Having gasket material around is also a good thing if you have older pipes in your home. I regularly have used a piece of rubber gasket material and a radiator clamp to preform a temporary plumbing repair when there is a pin hole leak in a pipe. Just cut a piece of rubber large enough to wrap around the pipe, then use the radiator clamp to tighten and stop water flow from the leak. I've used this method to stop leaks without having to shut off the water, as it will stop many leaks even if it is spraying out under full pressure. This will allow you to keep the water on and then call out a plumber out in the morning, which saves you from a very expensive after hours repair.

Last edited by davecalk; 11-10-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added info