No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 AM

Default 12x12x18 lighting

I'm setting up an exo terra to house a pair of imitators. I do want good enough light to grow most anything I want. Nothing crazy. Is a exo terra hood with a 13 watt jungle dawn sufficient? I am open to other choices. I have been looking other fixtures like the finnex stingray 2. I'm not sure if 7000K would look much different then 6500. There are so many choices these days it gets confusing.

gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Re: 12x12x18 lighting

Either of those options would probably work. I would look up the longevity on the Jungle Dawns before pulling the trigger, though. If budget is a consideration, I have been having good luck with this kind of thing for single vertically-oriented tanks:

https://smile.amazon.com/Floodlight-...966714&sr=8-16

I have similar lights to these on 2 10 gallon vert conversion and a couple of similar 20watt lights like these on a couple of 20 gallon vertical conversions and am very happy with the results.

Mark
Jwiley likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
bulbophyllum (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Thank you. That is a great idea. I have looked at those in the past. I totally forgot that option. I'm going to give the 10w and 20w a try.

gary

Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Nice. 10watt should be good for a tank that size.

Mark
Old 11-05-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Either of those options would probably work. I would look up the longevity on the Jungle Dawns before pulling the trigger, though. If budget is a consideration, I have been having good luck with this kind of thing for single vertically-oriented tanks:

https://smile.amazon.com/Floodlight-...966714&sr=8-16

I have similar lights to these on 2 10 gallon vert conversion and a couple of similar 20watt lights like these on a couple of 20 gallon vertical conversions and am very happy with the results.

Mark
I'm curious, do these generate any heat?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
10watt should be good for a tank that size.
Definitely. They are bright, and punching down 16 inches or so will be no problem.

Quote:
I would look up the longevity on the Jungle Dawns before pulling the trigger, though.
I've run a number of those (a half dozen or so?) and had one die pretty quick. Inside of a year, for sure. The others are still going like little champs - the oldest must be about 6 years old now? Youngest are at least 3 years old. They are well ventilated, and live in a fairly cool room, which probably helps. It's not much of a sample, but it's a decent anecdote.

The LED floodlights have given me similar service - the odd one will die super young (cheap really is cheap, after all...) but the rest (about 8, I think) are running like champs. My oldest of those is only maybe 3 years old though - time will tell. So - not quite as good an anecdote. They're in the same room as the JDs.

Point is, you pay your money and you take your chances. All else being equal, I just like the LED floods more now, just because I don't have to mount a socket fixture for a screw-in (lower labor). The result is lower-profile too, by about 3 inches, so I can fit taller enclosures into the same rack opening space. But honestly, not all is equal - I like the light quality and the light dispersion better from the LED floods than from the JDs, too. For my uses, anyway. More support for the floods...

In the event yours don't come with a plug (some are meant for hard-wiring) - just be aware that the Chinese use different colors for their wire insulation. Yellow, and green or blue, instead of white and black. If I remember correctly - it's been a while.

Anyway - hope this helps a little.

cheers
Encyclia likes this.