Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fahad
  • 2 Post By amandakathryn
  • 1 Post By dertien616
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 01:43 AM

Default How to make these rocks?

Does anyone know how this guy made these rocks? He posted this picture here on dendroboard along time ago and said they are epoxy but did not explain the process. It's also on pinterest and it says it's the " epoxy stone dust method". I can get my rocks to look good but not this realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191030-193536_Pinterest.jpg (37.0 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 AM

Default Re: How to make these rocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dertien616 View Post
Does anyone know how this guy made these rocks? He posted this picture here on dendroboard along time ago and said they are epoxy but did not explain the process. It's also on pinterest and it says it's the " epoxy stone dust method". I can get my rocks to look good but not this realistic.
I'm not gonna be much help here because I'm guessing -- epoxy doesn't dry/set with the granular, micro-crystalline structure of actual stone, something I'm trying to work out for myself right now because I'm hoping for a more realistic surface interaction with water.

I assume that if you either mix the epoxy with actual, fine stone dust, or cover it with same before it sets, you can achieve a more realistic texture.

Whether or not that has the 'depth' to absorb rather than repel water I have no idea. The rest of it appears to be skillful sculpting or use of a good mold taken from the real thing. I assume the colours are achieved via pigment powders.

You can use silicone or urethane to make molds for concrete, you probably need to take into account any exo-thermic properties the material produces as it sets -- once again, different from using epoxies of whatever stripe.

Interested to see if any long-term board members know more about those particular fake rocks. They look very good.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 AM

I would assume its an epoxy resin, although you could use a urethane resin too. You could do this in the same way you do cold cast bronze. you need a silicone rubber mold of a real rock, then you coat the mold with the filler powder....stone dust, bronze powder, marble...what ever. then you mix your filler power and a little dye in the highest ratio your resin can support and paint it into your mold. then you close the mold and fill it with resin(you can put different fillers in this part to make it more light weight). this would give you a very realistic texture to your rock and make it light weight but would be very expensive to do and would require some experience with mold making. Molding a rock like that could be a bit tricky and cold casting in a 2+ part mold is a bit difficult.
Encyclia and Fahad like this.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:03 PM

That user has been here as recently as this summer. Did you try PMing him?

- Whitman
Old 11-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Here is a finished rock I made out of 307 lite epoxy and then I paint them with acrylics. After the paint dries I paint a clear coat epoxy and throw sand into the epoxy to get rid of the gloss finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191104_081348.jpg (86.9 KB, 23 views)
Fahad likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 PM

That's not bad. My best are right about there too. Honestly, I think that is quite good enough.

Quote:
then I paint them with acrylics. After the paint dries I paint a clear coat epoxy and throw sand into the epoxy to get rid of the gloss finish.
I have found I can skip the acrylic paint entirely, by using dry powder tints on my last epoxy coat. They kill the gloss too. That's essential - the gloss is just way too fake looking.
Fahad likes this.