Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 AM

Default ABG question

So I had planned on mixing my own ABG for my upcoming build But everywhere I've found that stocks it, it's either expensive enough that it makes it not worth it, or the shipping is through the roof. So everytime I've priced it out, it seems the premixed Josh's Frogs is cheaper than mixing my own. Is this right? Am I missing something?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 12:42 AM

Default Re: ABG question

I think that folks who claim to save money mixing their own are getting creative with sourcing ingredients -- hand-smashing BBQ charcoal, for example -- or skipping ingredients, such as tree fern.

I looked at the Josh's Frogs ABG just now, and that looks like the real deal at a good price.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
gonzalez (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:11 AM

Yeah, the only thing that is cost prohibitive is the tree fern fiber. If I was mixing it in bulk to sell, the high shipping wouldn't be an issue. But in such a small quantity it's just not worth it. Thanks for the prompt response!

Old 10-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Herpetoculture is not a cheap hobby.

No one is forcing us to keep animals in a contained situ, where all they will ever have, is what we deign to give them.

Meanwhile we think nothing of spending $ on the latest crass app phones and other flat scream electronic brainwash.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post

No one is forcing us to keep animals in a contained situ, where all they will ever have, is what we deign to give them.

Meanwhile we think nothing of spending $ on the latest crass app phones and other flat scream electronic brainwash.
I don't get the impression that the OP was trying to save money by skimping on care. I see the opposite, actually -- an attempt to get the best product (ABG) in the most cost-effective manner. This is laudable, and is encouraged here.

On 'flat screen electronic brainwash', I'll have you know this is primarily for looking at DB, ordering FF media in a timely fashion, finding care tips, etc.

Spouse: You bought a new laptop??!?!

Frogger: This is so I can find frog care tips, honey. We want the best for the frogs, right?
Encyclia, Ravage, Pitbull and 1 others like this.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Kmc (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to skimp, was merely commenting on the fact it is more cost effective for me to buy premixed ABG as opposed to buying the ingredients and mixing it myself.

I'm well aware of the costs of giving proper welfare for animals as I've professionally taken care of everything from elephants and tigers to dart frogs and most taxa in between.

And thanks for the warm welcome back to the world of hobbyists, real nice to be here 😂😂
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 PM

My experience has been that it is possible to save money by making ABG (at least it was several years ago when I did it last) but that you need to buy in bulk. I ended up having to devote a lot of space in my garage to hay bale-sized packages of peat, etc. I also had to buy and store a used blender (for some reason, my wife didn't share my vision of chopping up long-fiber sphagnum in the Ninja) and I had to buy a big trash can to manually mix all this stuff together. It was a headache that I don't long to repeat.

Unless you are making ABG for lots of tanks at once or are making it to sell, you are probably better off buying just what you need from someone online or at a show. It might be a little more expensive, but it cuts out quite a bit of brain damage :-)

Mark
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
My experience has been that it is possible to save money by making ABG (at least it was several years ago when I did it last) but that you need to buy in bulk. I ended up having to devote a lot of space in my garage to hay bale-sized packages of peat, etc. I also had to buy and store a used blender (for some reason, my wife didn't share my vision of chopping up long-fiber sphagnum in the Ninja) and I had to buy a big trash can to manually mix all this stuff together. It was a headache that I don't long to repeat.

Unless you are making ABG for lots of tanks at once or are making it to sell, you are probably better off buying just what you need from someone online or at a show. It might be a little more expensive, but it cuts out quite a bit of brain damage 🙂

Mark
Yeah, that's the exact conclusion I came to. Also I was definitely going to throw the sphagnum in my ninja!!!!!!! At least if I ever do decide to start selling it, I now know where to source it from.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drthsideous View Post
Also I was definitely going to throw the sphagnum in my ninja!!!!!!!
Beware the ire! I think it only cost me 5 bucks or something for a vintage blender at the thrift store. It worked great, but boy does that process blunt the blades quick. Not great for the Ninja, for sure. Can't be any worse than frozen bananas, though, can it??!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM

Im so sorry, sometimes I go wide, and extremely often am not addressing the OP.

And sometimes the baggage from past experiences seeps thru my old curmudge like oil from a tin space movie robot.

I have some pretty old tree fern squares I have questions about that could be answered here so instead of being un-useful I should shut up and read. They may already be answered.