No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tihsho
  • 1 Post By TarantulaGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM

Default Background

So I am needing a background for a 24x18x18 exo terra. I know I need to probably get some expanding foam, wood, and maybe some small pots? I have some eco earth that I think I can use to put on the foam with silicone? Is that correct? Can someone help walk me through the process, give me inspiration or give any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Hello, and welcome! When it comes to backgrounds the world is your oyster! You can go from 100% DIY with GreatStuff foam, or you can take a premade cork style background and modify it to your means. One place with tons of parts and info is NEHerpetoculture. If you're looking for inspiration, check out the pictures of people's builds here, that's where I get some great ideas. Serpadesigns on YouTube has some great tutorials as well.
ValerieAdams likes this.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Background

Thank you! I'm not the most handy person but I've always been a very artistic person. So I'm hoping to create something pretty and functional as a background. I'll look into what you suggested!

Old 10-10-2019, 01:33 AM

Consider also sheets of cavity wall insulation (essentially just GS expanded foam pre-cured in thick sheets). This is what I'm using on my current build and it's working out great.

recticelinsulation.com/en-gb/eurowall-cavity

Last edited by PBM3000; 10-10-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:50 AM

so its sort of a plug for my build but have a few start to finish pictures of how I did a fake rock background using pink insulation foam for the rocks and great stuff expanding foam to fill in the gaps. https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...0gal-vert.html

been looking at this guys builds as well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzk...o89uvNA/videos

biggest thing I'd say is plan things out for ease of accessibility
Old 10-19-2019, 04:05 PM

I prefer the 'cork bark mosaic' method myself. Take some big cork bark pieces (not the flat stuff; use the real cork bark with ridges and weird shapes and angles) break it into pieces, silicone the pieces all over the background, then stuff the gaps with moss. Check out this post by Dendro Dave (I miss that guy, where'd he go!?) for some ideas of it in action.
Kmc likes this.
Old Today, 07:05 PM

Quote:
'cork bark mosaic'
Valerie, this is a good option. Look into it. Foam is fun and useful too, but starting down that path necessitates a number of additional steps. Time and money. Whereas the cork mosaic method is fast, cheap, easy, and looks great. Plus there's just way less chance of some sort of fail, down the road. It's a solid option.

Quote:
Take some big cork bark pieces (not the flat stuff; use the real cork bark with ridges and weird shapes and angles) break it into pieces,
This is a fine way to go, but you can also just buy gallon bags of pieces. The good thing about using bits of a single large piece, is all the little pieces "go together" both geometrically and also aesthetically (color, texture, scale of ridges etc). But with the moss-packing, and subsequent likely plant colonization (if doing a humid, illuminated viv), the cork bark will sort of disappear into the background, so to speak.

good luck!