Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Default Paludarium Build Questions

So this weekend while picking up a few things for my cats at the local pet store, I snagged a Zoo Med Paludarium kit for half off. It's been a while since I've built a paludarium and my last set of viv's were more focused on Gecko's, but this time I want to change things up a bit and look into keeping a couple darts. I know that most darts don't need bodies of water, but I figured I'd give it a shot if there were not too much of a hassle.

One thing I was looking into was setting up a drip wall. I have a few sheets of Hygrolon left from a viv build that I did what seems like eons ago, so I figured now would be the time to bust it out and give it a go. One thing I didn't like in my viv builds were that I siliconed the background to the enclosure and that made it sort of permanent. Is there a way I could friction fit a background that acts as a drip wall so that I can remove it if I ever decide to go a different route without starting with a whole new enclosure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Paludarium Build Questions

SerpaDesign made some backgrounds on foam insulation sheets (polystyrene) then he expanding foam, siliconed, and cocofibered that. The walls they formed were tight enough to hold each other in place without any adhesive.

I was thinking of doing the same thing in future builds, but mostly due to my fear of ruining a tank if I directly stuck anything to the glass.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:18 PM

That's somewhat my fear as well. I have two 18x24 Exo Terra's which I need to figure out how to rip the background out as they were setup for Crested Gecko's which have since moved to other enclosures. Problem I ran into there was that the enclosures had a cork background siliconed in place and at the time I did that I never gave it a second thought about "what if I repurpose these one day?"

Now that I have them and they are empty they are just an eye sore that I wish I could clean up and resuse easily, but I'm not sure where to begin without trying to pry the backgrounds up and hoping I don't crack the rear pane of glass.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopCola View Post
SerpaDesign made some backgrounds on foam insulation sheets (polystyrene) then he expanding foam, siliconed, and cocofibered that. The walls they formed were tight enough to hold each other in place without any adhesive.
Do you happen to have a link to this? Looked through his video listings and nothing stood out.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
Do you happen to have a link to this? Looked through his video listings and nothing stood out.
Yup, his name was the link: https://youtu.be/Vt9ckRNuccI?t=133

It's not for a paludarium, and he used a cocofiber sheet instead of loose cocofiber, but the idea might translate for your drip wall.

I'm going to use the background that exoterras come with, I'll just add a little extra foam on the sides for the extra tight fit.

Last edited by BebopCola; 10-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Woops, I didn't see the hyper link. Thanks for the info. Seems like a decent idea, but at the end he goes ahead and adds a large amount of silicon to the rear and sticks it to the glass. I think no matter what I'm going to have to silicon it to the glass which I'm not too thrilled about. It is what it is though.

Sadly this ZooMed tank didn't come with a foam background, so I'll have to source my own foam to modify. I'm trying to think how I want to go through and setup the background. Hygrolon should be able to wick moisture up as long as the base of it is submerged, so I may go that route instead of a drip wall and try to add a small water fall, but I'm limited being that it's a 12x12x24.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Ah sorry, I must not have noticed the silicone bit at the end. I like zoomed’s cork backgrounds, but I’ve used them without silicone and they do end up warping.

I wanna say command strips, but I’ve no idea if they’d leech anything in the water.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:41 PM

In my experience, it's pretty hard to ruin a tank with the materials we typically use in our builds. Even if you had to silicone something to the back, you can always tear it out and use a razor blade to clean the back glass enough to start over. I have never really factored the "permanence" of a background into a decision to make one. I have also never had to tear any of my backgrounds out completely, though, so maybe I am underestimating the effort that would be needed. I have removed a lot of silicone from glass, though, and a fresh razor blade makes short work of that job.

Mark
Old 10-09-2019, 04:14 AM

Bebop, you've been a great help! The link provided a bunch of inspiration.

Encyclia, the issue I run into is that small setups generally become limiting. The fact I picked this paludarium up was solely based on trying it out. I have no issue scraping away set silicon, the issue is prying back a siliconed background off first prior to scraping the silicon.