Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 01:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct part of the forum for this question. I have searched around and could not find an answer to this question, sorry if it's been asked before. I am just setting up a new terrarium for some green anoles, wanting to practice on this setup before I move up to nice dart terrarium. The problem I am running into is every led or florescent grow light I find shows a very red/pick light. I'm wondering if anyone here knows a brand or type of led grow light that has more of a white light. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Thanks,
Drakontas

Last edited by Drakontas; Today at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:34 PM

Default Re: LED Grow light question.

It's probably because you are searching for a "grow light." That will lead you toward lights that are great for growing plants, but may not be as appropriate for the critters. For one thing, you want something that will grow plants AND render colors well (high "CRI"). That may lean you toward a K rating of 6500ish ("daylight"). That is what looks good in vivariums to my eye and most people seem to agree, more or less, but it's pretty subjective. So look for lights that are designed not just to grow plants, but also make the animal inhabitants look good. 6500K is a good guideline to look for. Secondarily, and I don't have any experience along these lines, so maybe somebody else can chime in, but I think for most anoles, you would want to have some UV lighting on the tank. That is a different kind of light. It can be combined into a single lighting fixture, but is sometimes a separate bulb setup. LED lights are great for the first mission above, but I think UV-emitting LEDs are still pretty prohibitively expensive. Bear in mind, also, that UV doesn't penetrate glass in any meaningful way. Anyway, maybe something above will help :-)

Mark
Old Today, 01:48 PM

Mark,

Thank you for the reply. Yes anoles will need a uvb light source and I will be getting that shortly before the anoles. I have read that they only last about 6 months before needing to be replaced and i want to give the plants and micro fauna a couple of months to set up before getting the anoles. Thank you for your information on the lights. I have seen several labeled full spectrum and daylight builds but did not know if these would give adequate lighting for the plants. I will start looking today to see if I can find some with a K rating of 6500 and try that and see how I like the look of the light. Thanks again. I lurk here on the forums a lot soaking up all the information I can, but don't post often. This time I just really hit a wall lol.

Thanks,
Drakontas

Old Today, 02:42 PM

Default Re: LED Grow light question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakontas View Post
Yes anoles will need a uvb light source and I will be getting that shortly before the anoles. I have read that they only last about 6 months...
The anoles??!? ;-)

Now that you are on the right page with what you are looking for, I suggest looking into some of the lighting threads here on Dendroboard. There are lots of options. I have had great luck with Spectral Designs, if those are in your budget. There are some cheap Chinese-manufactured options on Ebay that work adequately but tend not to be all that reliable over the long haul. Finnex makes some good lights, Fluval and Current USA make good lights. There are some great options out there. Just need to find what works best for you in your budget.

Best of luck,

Mark